Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wave or New Wave?

Poll

What is your preference?

Old Wave
New Wave
Tidal Wave
What's a Wave?  I don't want to get wet!
Old or New I hate the Wave. (code for "I am Benner")

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Old Wave or New Wave?
on: May 05, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
I know this has probably been done, but I thought "Hey, I haven't started a poll in a while" so here we go.

I just picked up an Old model Wave in spit polished, Jesus-must-have-owned-it perfect condition with the best sheath Leatherman has ever made.  Seriously, why can't they make one like this for every model!!!

Anyway, I also have a New Wave coming from Tom(Jerseydevil), because I have read a ton about Wave carry this week and decided to myself that I needed to carry a Wave for a month and get over my love/hate feelings and start liking a tool that millions like.  I retired my old safety net, the Blast, and have switched to a Wave and Rebar as my only knife/tool carry. 

I just don't know what will happen when the new Wave gets here.  I will have to make a decision I guess, so I wanted to know what you guys think.  If you had your pick and they were easily available, which would you prefer: Old or New?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Re: Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:11:23 PM
Old Style Wave for me, because I still prefer the old style screwdrivers/Phillips above the new style bit drivers, same reason why I prefer the ST300 above the Surge  ;).

It's happend to me more than once that the new bit driver couldn't reach a screw while the old style screwdrivers reached it with ease.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:11:12 AM
I don't have abiding faith in the new style bit drivers , and the bits are hard to replace . The old UTA , using 1/4" hex is preferable .

Chris

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:15:05 AM
I have a problem trusting the bit drivers too.  For that reason I don't think I could carry the new wave solo, my rebar would have to accompany it.  I love the dedicated phillips.  Maybe I'll mod my new wave to inlude a dedicated phillips...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:18:01 PM
I don't have an old Wave to compare so I'll refrain from voting, but I will say I do like my new Wave well enough.  I do share you chaps reservations about the bit driver though. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:30 PM
New style for me, I'm a die hard surge fan and I love my bit driver. So much expand ability, and the bits take a tonne of abuse. Way too many flathead drivers on the old wave for me. I might appreciate dedicated drivers more if I was surrounded by only Phillips and flathead but realistically they make up perhaps %40 of the fasteners I use daily.

Stay multi my friends

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:32:29 PM
New wave all the way for me. I have a vice grip 6 LC on my tool belt at work which i am wearing 80% of the time.its primary function is the grips, secondary is its bit driver, blade may as well  not be there. I also pocket carry my new wave, or skeletool if wearing shorts which is about my person 100% of the time while at work. It's primary functions  are the blades straight or serrated depending on what I am cutting and secondary function is the bit driver for the times I am not wearing my belt and don't have a drill/driver to hand when I encounter a rogue screw or two (anymore and I will go get a dedicated tool).

Now I find myself in this situation surprisingly often and guaranteed said rogue screws head will be very worn or full of plaster, filler or paint and the driver may and does cam out when removing the screw thus damaging the driver,so I would not even consider using a multitool for work that did not have a built in bit driver as it would not last very long at all.

I have used a super tool 300 previously for work along with a bit kit but it is to much faffing  about.
What would change my mind would be if I could buy replacement parts separately and replace them myself as  with my SOG.

As well as the bit driver in a work capacity OHO and a pocket clip are a must. That is why I am not exited about the Rebar, I will buy one, but only to gather dust. For serious use you can not beat the Skeletool, new Wave or Surge.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:03:40 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:24 PM
Great replies guys.

I understand the need for replaceable bits too.  While I haven't torn up my blast's dedicated drivers(and it's seen a LOT of use), I see plenty of screws that I avoid with it for that reason.  I have no problem carrying another multi along with my wave, so maybe that is my long term solution.  I would like very much to have the expanded bit kit with me all the time, and let's face it, the blast bit adapter is nice in an extreme pinch but it really sucks to use.  It's all wobbly. 

I think I may be leaning pretty good towards the new wave.  I just discovered last night that the old wave's non locking drivers can and will fold up on you.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:06:48 PM
I used an old Wave when there was nothing better, now I only use the new Wave.

Never had a bit driver or a bit fail on me (as of yet anyway ;))

It is a good idea to keep an old Wave around though, because you never know if the earth will be taken over by a race that worships flat drivers, and then you would have the upper hand. :tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:10:10 PM
I used an old Wave when there was nothing better, now I only use the new Wave.

Never had a bit driver or a bit fail on me (as of yet anyway ;))

It is a good idea to keep an old Wave around though, because you never know if the earth will be taken over by a race that worships flat drivers, and then you would have the upper hand. :tu:

:rofl:

I am actually quite fond of having at least 3 flat drivers, but that's just me.  I like a strong large flathead, a medium one for poking and prodding and for using on set screws, and a tiny one for eyeglasses.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:45:55 PM
I like a strong large flathead, a medium one for poking and prodding and for using on set screws, and a tiny one for eyeglasses.

I think that you will like the new Wave Sean, it still retains the large driver/prybar, has the eyeglass screwdriver, and of course the very useful bit driver :salute:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:28 PM
When not at work I carry either my paratool or C2 again depending on what strides I am wearing, and used to carry A leatherman bit card with most common bits, There bit adapter and bit extender as this would have all bases covered no matter which tool I was carrying (leatherman bit adaptor works equally well on my paratool Phillips I have found). But now I just carry a victorinox bit wrench kit with most common bits. As not only does it mean I can handle fixings that my multi tool may not have the tooling to handle but I can use it publicly without producing a multi so no one need know I am carrying a knife if I don't want them to. And I can actually achieve more torque than I would want to put through a multi anyway.
Plus the bits are cheap and easy to replace .

It can be very easy to get sucked into the whole EDC thing ( I don't mean to offend anyone) and before you know it you are carrying around 10lbs of kit you will never use. You know I am not being dropped deep into the Bolivian jungle to single handedly maintain a fleet of special ops choppers while fighting off drug barons in hand to hand combat.
Half the time I am just nipping down the shops to buy a pint of milk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:25:41 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 11:49:52 PM
 :ahhh   :ahhh :ahhh

I need an EDC air compressor and impact gun STAT!!

gb Offline Likeablefish

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05:29 AM
Its the Old Wave for me!

Its the slimmest OHO tool LM made, if i wanted bit drivers and stuff id go for a charge, to me the new wave is just a poor mans charge, no offense its still a good tool but for the size and weight the charge is a better option with more comfortable handles and better blade steel.

A new wave is on my shopping list though

:salute:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:09:07 AM
Hope your feeling strong.

Ps is there anyway of adding smilies with tapatalk, anyone.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:32:59 AM by chip »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:20 AM
 :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's awesome!!

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:48 AM
the old wave's non locking drivers can and will fold up on you.
This is the deciding factor, and why locking multi-tools beat out SAK's every day of the week. There's just no reason anymore to make nonlocking tools (or, aside from stupid legalities, nonlocking or non-OHO knives).

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:08 AM
I still like SAK's and non locking tools, but I won't really carry them solo at all.  The one exception is my sideclip.  The tools are cut so perfectly that they feel like the snap into place much tighter than any other slippie tool I have.  While I never rely on locks, my sideclip has never once had a driver fold on me. 

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Old Wave or New Wave?
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:31:33 AM
Sean have you ever tried a Vic spirit? I would think you would take to one right away.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:32 AM
I carried a non-locking buck folding pocket knife for about 12 years with not a single problem. I have yet in my life to have a blade fold on me.

I have several small keychain MTs that don't lock and have never presented a problem. It's when you start to get into heavier use that locking becomes a serious issue. If I had to chose, I'd prefer locking drivers to locking blades. By their nature, drivers have a lot of forward force placed on them, where a non-locking one might fold on you. This can be somewhat mitigated by the design of the driver, as I mentioned in my comparison of the PST and the Sheffield 1200E.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36892.msg592550.html#msg592550
I HAVE busted up knuckles on drivers folding on me.

I have carried a Delica in my EDC more-or-less constantly for about 15 years. However, I have never once needed an OHO blade in that time. So, OHO for many people, apparently myself included, is simply not needed, and as every OHO design has to add something, you can save space, weight, and probably steps in manufacture if you leave it out. I just can't bring myself to NOT have an OHO blade though, for whatever reason. I start feeling all weird without one.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:52 AM
I totally agree.  I need locking drivers WAY more than locking blades.  In fact, for daily carry I could go all slipjoint and be fine.  I had a kick driver fold on my once and it didn't feel good.  My hand got smashed as a result.

Ryan, I have tried the spirit, and I keep selling them for some reason.  Don't know why. they are awesome tools and I would love to have another.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51:09 AM
Amici,
I went with the OLD wave since although I do own several of the new version, the old one still manages itself into my EDC from time to time, wobbles and all.

Cheers.
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 02:04:54 AM
Long time so see there Serge!  Glad to hear from ya!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 02:28:47 AM
Grazie mi amici!
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Offline chris777

Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:19 AM
the old wave's non locking drivers can and will fold up on you.
This is the deciding factor, and why locking multi-tools beat out SAK's every day of the week. There's just no reason anymore to make nonlocking tools (or, aside from stupid legalities, nonlocking or non-OHO knives).

I am a recent conver to this as well. I love the form factor of the original wave, My hands must be small or something because the newere leatherman pliers all open too wide. (and frankly I wanted to throw the sidekick and wingman at mr leatherman when I discovered they are even wider than the wave/blast/st300) BUT I had my kick bite a hunk out of me when the phillips folded up on me. 

So I agree Locking tools all the way.

However. I am currently going best of both worlds, with a Charge, and Swisstool Spirit combo.

I cant see giving up my spirit because I use scissors so much. But the rebar is a beautiful looking tool, and the replaceable wire cutters are awesome, and hopefully going to be incorporated into the full line at some point. 
Im iffy on the bit driver. the full size is ok, I have used the eyeglsss driver, but it just seems out of place on my wave/charge/blast. and I wish they had longer bits, not MUT long, but if they added another half a bit length that would be sweet.

I also like the new scissors better. they cut better, they dont splay, they may be "smaller" but I dare anyone to find something that the old style actually cuts better than the new. I havent found anything.

I do really wish LM would make the opening size adjustable, because they are about to size me into another brands market, just because I apparently dont have Giant hands. Leverage is one thing, but the sidekick/wingman is ridiculous. I dont even like the new skeletools.

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 05:28:48 AM
I believe new one have advantage for locking system in all tools...

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 06:20:11 AM
Yeah, so , it comes down to which is more important, better implements, or locking implements? Feh.  :-[

They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Makes it hard to choose one over the other.

I really, Really, REALLY wish LM had put the bit holders on the Charge, and left the "normal" Phillips and flat drivers on the Wave. Seems to me that would help differentiate two otherwise very similar products.

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:18 AM
I carried an "old wave" around 11 years but unfortunatelly was stolen from my truck and then I get the new wave and its very good but definetelly some times I miss the old version.,,,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%