Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How about some new SAK info?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
How about some new SAK info?
on: February 07, 2008, 02:39:35 PM
Here are some SAK pics from the SHOT Show this year.  I'll be going into greater detail on SOSAKOnline shortly, but here's some great teaser pics!

Starting with the 1893 Wenger Reissue:

And the scroll like plans included in the presentation box:

Some idiot with the Wenger Giant:

Wenger's new pocket clip for the Ranger models:

Today's SAKtivity picture is the least embarrassing picture I have of Tim showing his approval of the new Wenger pocket clip:

And, a nice picture of one of the new yellow EVOGrips:

Unfortunately Victorinox was not allowing their new products to be photographed, so at this point I don't have any good pictures of their stuff, but any good SOSAK member will be long since familiar with most of them.  Victorinox is planning to go ahead with plain edged versions of the OHT, a one handed 111mm Solo which only has a blade and no other tools, a camoflage version of the OHT, a black scaled version of the Rescue Tool and possibly a damascus bladed Soldier.

If Cutlery Girl happens to find her way in here and sees this, I'd like to thank her very much for all her help at the Victorinox booth.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How about some new SAK info?
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:33 PM
Nice! I'm excited about that PE OHT! I'll be getting it. and I do like them evo grips. thx boss.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 02:57:51 PM
That 1893 reissue was the main reason I went to the SHOT Show... I had to see, feel and hold it for myself, and I have to say it was fantastic!  I have no doubt that it will be well worth the $500 MSRP on it and I plan on getting at least one.  It is absolutely beautiful, and these days with production blades hitting the $500 mark I don't think a handmade, limited edition SAK at $500 is out of the question.

There is also another new Wenger that I can take pictures of, but they won't convey what it's really like.  It's called the Soft Touch and it has a rubber coating on the scales that has to be felt to be believed.  It's very similar to the new Buck XTract handles, but with the contours of the Evolution scales, this one is simply amazing.  I am hoping we'll be able to work out some kind of passaround so folks can see how great it really is.

I'll post some pictures of it shortly, but really it just looks like a regular black scale.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:03:57 PM
You are a true collector boss and you getting to see one of your passions is wonderful!
I'm sure your breathing stopped when you held that! Good on you  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:22:27 PM
Thanks, but I firmly believe that anyone who holds the 1893 Reissue even once will have to own it.  It exudes the highest order of quality, both typical of Swiss engineering, but also surpassing even the exceptional fit and finish that we've come to know and love.  It is the absolute finest piece I have ever handled bar none, and I have handled some pretty darned amazing pieces in my time.

Def

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:32:43 PM
Some idiot with the Wenger Giant:

(Image removed from quote.)

Def, how heavy is that Wenger giant? I believe you can't actually use that tool.

Eddie

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:53:49 PM
The Giant is 2 pounds, 11 ounces.  It is not meant to be used, but more as a display or collector's piece, and as such the blades aren't even sharpened.  It is a massive piece, hand made and retails at approximately $1,200US.  SOSAK members get a "deal" on it- I'm not certain of our specal pricing, but I am certain Tim would be happy to give a Multitool.org member a quote on one if you are interested!

Here's a couple of articles I published on SOSAKOnline about this knife:

The Father of the Wenger Giant

Wenger Wins

Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:56 PM
Some of this is repeat to what Def said above but I'm too sick to edit right now so I'll just post what I posted at SOSAK:

I'm just back from the SHOT Show with some sweet previews of products coming. While not as much new stuff as I had hoped, Vic's new line-up includes the OH and regular Solo and with linerlock, Camo OHT, and four colors of Alox Classic previously only available in Europe (orange, pink, green and blue).

Also, I'm really stoked by new clear translucent Spartans, Climbers, Huntsman and Signature Lights. I was blown away by the classy look of these. These won't be out for awhile but I am putting an order in for the other items right away to beat the 4/1 price increase.

Another change that I think is excellent is moving away from the red LEDs to all white. This will take some time but eventually there should be white LEDs in all the lighted models.

While modding and getting special runs is great it is also cool to see that Vic finally listens to some of the things we ask for. Unfortunately there still is no pocket clip on the horizon from Vic but luckily Wenger has heard the cry and has some really nice pocket clip packages coming on the Ranger 51, 151 and 61. They are ergonomically designed to blend perfectly with the grip. It will be sometime before these are available but they are sweet.

Another great Wenger introduction is an EVO model with Yellow scales and black rubber inserts and an all black "SoftTouch" Evo that is pure joy to behold (as a matter of fact I am "beholding" one as I write). This beauty cannot be described adequately and has to be touched to appreciate. Stay tuned because I think Def will have a surprise when he gets back.

And of course the mega-sweet special edition of the Model 1893 Soldier. Yikes this is a beauty. We got to hold and fondle number 0101 in the series limited to 1893 pieces. I had the urge to run with it! It is an ultra-classic beauty. I put in my bid for as many as possible. There will probably about 500 of them coming to the U.S.

Def has tons of pictures and lots of information to add so stay tuned.
T

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:09 PM
Here are some questions and answers about the new lines:

I will try answer several of the above questions:

* EvoGrip 18 only will have the yellow/black scales - projected date is mid April
    * Evo Soft Touch in black - projected for late March
    * Rangers with clips - projected mid May
    * I don't have prices yet for any of the new Wengers but when I do I will start pre-ordering. Don't forget that projected dates rarely happen. Actual availablity is usuall much later.
    * I will scan the special Victorinox "secret" dealer sheets with the new OHs and post later
T

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:46:54 PM
Here are scans of the new Vic OHs and the colored Alox Classics that were previously available only in Europe.

* New Vic Classics1.jpg (Filesize: 102.62 KB)

* New Vic OHs1.jpg (Filesize: 79.81 KB)
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:51:25 PM
You know which ones to put me down for!

I like that aqua Classic too!

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:55:05 PM
Thanks for the info you lot are giving to us all, sounds like it was all worth it in the end :)

I do like the look of Wengers new pocket clip, very nice. I must get a Wenger one day, they seem to be making some good stuff. I've never actually owned a Wenger ::)

Oh Def, what was the Cutlery girl helping you out with at the Vic booth, am I missing something here :D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:59:13 PM
Cutlery Girl specializes in the Victorinox branded kitchen cutlery (hence the name!) and she was very helpful by providing all kinds of information and wrangling other reps to come over and see us, despite their busy schedules.  With any luck we'll be doing a feature on SOSAKOnline soon involving more of the kitchen line, which I always thought was very under-exposed.

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:06:56 PM
Cutlery Girl specializes in the Victorinox branded kitchen cutlery (hence the name!) and she was very helpful by providing all kinds of information and wrangling other reps to come over and see us, despite their busy schedules.  With any luck we'll be doing a feature on SOSAKOnline soon involving more of the kitchen line, which I always thought was very under-exposed.

Def

OK thanks for clearing that up Def, I'd googled it before hand but it didnt come up with anything.

You know when you visited the Gerber lot, did you get the idea that their future tools are going to be very well made USA ones like the MP400/MP600/Flik etc or are they still going to produce/design more cheaper not-so-well made foreign ones like Suspension/Radius/Crux etc? I hope newer models in the pipeline will be just like the Flik (USA made stainless steel tools) rather than the other sort.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:20:01 PM
Honestly, the Flik and the Artifact looked goot, the Evo and Ripstop were just more versions of the Suspension/Resolve/Tread etc line, which I am personally unimpressed with so far.  It looks like they have all the bases covered, and my guess is they've had lots of luck with the cheaper line at places like Wal Mart and Home Despot, or why continue to make them?

Then once the bills are paid by those, they make better tools for folks like us!

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:23:21 PM
Honestly, the Flik and the Artifact looked goot, the Evo and Ripstop were just more versions of the Suspension/Resolve/Tread etc line, which I am personally unimpressed with so far.  It looks like they have all the bases covered, and my guess is they've had lots of luck with the cheaper line at places like Wal Mart and Home Despot, or why continue to make them?

Then once the bills are paid by those, they make better tools for folks like us!

Def

Think you've summed it up well, the cheaper ones do probably make them three times as much money as the more decent ones, its just that we want the best, and only the best here >:D :P
[

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:49:01 PM

Def

:-[ Plus she was cute and under-exposed herself.  :oops: My Bad.
T

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:35 PM
nice stuff! I gotta talk to Mr Tim about some evo's, me and some buds want his services!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:14 AM
The 1893 reissue looks like it is priced just about right at 500$. I fear learning more about it and seeing more pictures, I don't have the scratch for one of those.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 03:04:44 AM
It's great to see Wenger coming out with a pocket clip model. Now all we need is a factory clip option from Victorinox for the OHT! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 03:10:31 AM
It's great to see Wenger coming out with a pocket clip model. Now all we need is a factory clip option from Victorinox for the OHT! :)

I'm curious if Vic keeps a close eye on Wenger sales of new products and vice versa to see what really takes off. It would seem that, if the pocket clip does well with Wenger (which I'm sure it will) that Vic might be convinced.
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 03:20:45 AM

I'm curious if Vic keeps a close eye on Wenger sales of new products and vice versa to see what really takes off. It would seem that, if the pocket clip does well with Wenger (which I'm sure it will) that Vic might be convinced.

Dontcha just love competition?  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 03:24:03 AM
I'm confused. ???  Doesn't Victorinox own Wenger now or am I mistaken? Why is Wenger coming out with lots of new stuff and the special edition knife. While Vic isn't. Are they run as separate companies by two different groups? Maybe I'm way off.
"

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 03:29:27 AM
I call dibs on the yellow Evos :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 03:36:08 AM
I'm confused. ???  Doesn't Victorinox own Wenger now or am I mistaken? Why is Wenger coming out with lots of new stuff and the special edition knife. While Vic isn't. Are they run as separate companies by two different groups? Maybe I'm way off.

Wenger was nearing bankruptcy so Victorinox purchased them to keep it out of foreign (Chinese) hands. They committed to keep them totally independent entities however. There does not seem to be much, if any, tinkering in Wenger's business by Vic. We were hoping that some best practices of each would blend but no obvious indications yet at least.
T

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 03:44:28 AM
Wenger was nearing bankruptcy so Victorinox purchased them to keep it out of foreign (Chinese) hands. They committed to keep them totally independent entities however. There does not seem to be much, if any, tinkering in Wenger's business by Vic. We were hoping that some best practices of each would blend but no obvious indications yet at least.

I see thanks. Maybe like you guys said, if these new things from Wenger sell really good then Vic will stand up and take notice. You'd think that Vic is looking at the special edition Wenger with great interest.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 03:46:43 AM

I see thanks. Maybe like you guys said, if these new things from Wenger sell really good then Vic will stand up and take notice. You'd think that Vic is looking at the special edition Wenger with great interest.

The special edition 1893 is a great knfe, but the true advances at Wenger this year are the finger-contoured pocket clip and the soft-touch rubber scales. (IMO)  :)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:40 PM
Oooh!  I'd like several of those new SAKs!  :sak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 04:13:59 PM
Oops, I forgot one little thing...

Ok, maybe not so little!

This is it next to Columbia River's MAK 1 which is no small tool in it's own right!  Wenger's Giant really does need to be seen to be believed!  I have seen hundreds of pictures of it, but that did nothing to prepare me for the sheer size of this behemoth!

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 04:42:05 PM
Now that's a knife/toolbox! :o

I'm gonna need bigger pockets.

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00