Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gardening anyone?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Gardening anyone?
Reply #240 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:29 PM
I love gardening :cheers: I have about a 50 by 50 or so veggie garden, 18 grapevines, 10 cherry trees, 4 pear trees, 12 apple trees, 8 peach trees, 8 blueberry bushes, 5 raspberry bushes, 2 thornless blackberry vines, a field of wild ones, some bush cherries and a strawberry pyramid :tu: 

:salute:
Sounds like a good start.

I'm fascinated by the Food Forrest concept, as well as Aquaponics, sustainable and self-sustained food producing systems.

I only had one opportunity at the housing provided by my previous job, in about 18 months I turned bare ground into a little garden that was basically a mix of strawberries, Gooseberries, several herbs and flowers.....all mixed up and wonderful.

I'm a frustrated tree planter, bonsai tickled that fancy for 10 years but I've given up, selling most of my collection and giving away what I can't sell.

We are experiencing a very severe drought, it is heart-breaking to see established trees dying all over town. 

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #241 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:25 PM
Some of the back patio plants still producing, although the tomato plants in the 'city picker' planter look like weeds gone wild, and we've had to deal with a lot of tomato hornworms.  The 'freebie' packets of seeds found through reddit produced some nice looking wildflowers too.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #242 on: February 12, 2017, 05:38:17 AM
Pink candy stripe amaryllis.
IMG_0236.JPG
* IMG_0236.JPG (Filesize: 391.21 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:04 AM
Red amaryllis.
IMG_0235.JPG
* IMG_0235.JPG (Filesize: 320.25 KB)
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #244 on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
Beautiful flowers Y!      :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #245 on: February 12, 2017, 04:08:12 PM

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: February 12, 2017, 05:45:51 PM
Thanks!  Mother Nature did all the hard work.  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #247 on: February 13, 2017, 03:56:04 AM
I love gardening :cheers: I have about a 50 by 50 or so veggie garden, 18 grapevines, 10 cherry trees, 4 pear trees, 12 apple trees, 8 peach trees, 8 blueberry bushes, 5 raspberry bushes, 2 thornless blackberry vines, a field of wild ones, some bush cherries and a strawberry pyramid :tu: 

:salute:
Sounds like a good start.

I'm fascinated by the Food Forrest concept, as well as Aquaponics, sustainable and self-sustained food producing systems.

I only had one opportunity at the housing provided by my previous job, in about 18 months I turned bare ground into a little garden that was basically a mix of strawberries, Gooseberries, several herbs and flowers.....all mixed up and wonderful.

I'm a frustrated tree planter, bonsai tickled that fancy for 10 years but I've given up, selling most of my collection and giving away what I can't sell.

We are experiencing a very severe drought, it is heart-breaking to see established trees dying all over town.

Just now reading this one and seeing about he drought :-\ I hope that you have had some rain since this :tu: It is almost Spring here and I just set out 4 black walnut trees and some more apples (the walnuts are far away from everything as I have read that they can be poisonous to apple trees and the like :ahhh )

Can't wait to break ground again this year and get to planting again :dd: I had potatoes in the ground in about 2 weeks this time last year :o :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #248 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:17 PM
Did some digging and weeding at the allotment today and unearthed something that most UK gardeners will be familiar with. For those not in the UK, have a guess what they are:
WP_20170315_013 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: March 16, 2017, 01:56:47 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #250 on: March 16, 2017, 02:09:53 AM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: March 16, 2017, 02:41:20 AM
The extent of gardening for me is mowing the lawn  :whistle:. I will also lay out the bags of mulch and pull weeds but thats about it. Mrs. TJ has the better green thumb so I let her go nuts with arranging all the plants and stuff  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #252 on: March 16, 2017, 09:13:00 AM
What are they?  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #253 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:26 AM
Here's me at home;
claypipehistory1 by magpie2112, on Flickr

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #254 on: March 16, 2017, 10:11:26 AM
Oh!  :facepalm:
Those things are broken bits of smoking pipe, right?  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #255 on: March 17, 2017, 04:04:56 PM
Correct Sir!

DId a bit more down the allotment today - Bought something I've wanted for years and years: An Incinerator! They have them at Lidls for 15 quid so we couldn't Not get one. It's everything I dreamed it would be.

Also cleared the shed out a bit, found lots of ladybirds, put some hooks up and because it was pretty nippy up there we had to cocoon Bonnie in blankets. She has zero body fat  :facepalm:
WP_20170317_006 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170317_008 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170317_009 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170317_011 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170317_005 by magpie2112, on Flickr

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #256 on: March 25, 2017, 09:25:33 PM
Been down the allotment all day:
WP_20170325_003 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170325_007 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170325_010 by magpie2112, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #257 on: March 26, 2017, 05:39:47 AM
It is getting there Mags :cheers: I have yet to start anything specifically in my garden but back in colder weather I dug a few spalings up (apple and black walnut) and set them out in different spots around my land :tu:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #258 on: March 27, 2017, 03:13:15 AM
I discovered today that I had the start of a garden and didn't know it.

I was sure a few weeks ago that I had some onions, but couldn't find them. They'd slipped off the shelf- I have three sprouting vidalias. I'm hanging onto them... because.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #259 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:42 PM
I'm a professional gardener. Unfortunately, I rarely, if ever, carry a camera on the job.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #260 on: March 30, 2017, 03:10:06 AM
I'm a professional gardener. Unfortunately, I rarely, if ever, carry a camera on the job.

You need to at least try and get some phone pics :pok:  :D I love to garden and my small orchard is starting to come alive for this year :dd:

Here is one of my peach trees that I planted from a peach pit that I got from my wife's uncle and this is the second year it has bloomed and hoping that it will have a couple peaches on it this year :cheers:

20170329_171720 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Got a peach off another one of these last year and hope to get a bunch off that tree this year :dd: :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #261 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:31 AM

You need to at least try and get some phone pics :pok:  :D I love to garden and my small orchard is starting to come alive for this year :dd:

Here is one of my peach trees that I planted from a peach pit that I got from my wife's uncle and this is the second year it has bloomed and hoping that it will have a couple peaches on it this year :cheers:

Got a peach off another one of these last year and hope to get a bunch off that tree this year :dd: :D
Beautiful blossom Poncho! How long ago did you plant the stone? Your SI bail is looking great!  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #262 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:52 PM

Beautiful blossom Poncho! How long ago did you plant the stone? Your SI bail is looking great!  :salute:

I planted these in the Fall of 2012 :tu: I have read you have a chance that they will be like the parent tree but also a chance that they won't be  ::) I lucked out with one of them for sure as the peach I got off of the tree was just like the one that it came from :cheers: I just hope the others I have will be the same :tu:

And the bail is holding up nicely :tu: Thanks :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #263 on: April 02, 2017, 08:35:26 PM
Spent a couple of hours down the allotment today. Dug a load of cooch grass up, weeded the red and white currant patch, harvested some rhubarb and planted some potatos. Found a Toad (Hoping it's Nates ShopToad  :D )
WP_20170402_010 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170402_016 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170402_004 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170402_002 by magpie2112, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #264 on: April 07, 2017, 03:18:12 PM
Nice Mags :tu: We are suppose to get a hard frost here tonight :facepalm: Hope we don't as I have several fruit trees blooming :cry: but so is the life of a gardener sometimes :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #265 on: April 07, 2017, 03:22:21 PM
Nice Mags :tu: We are suppose to get a hard frost here tonight :facepalm: Hope we don't as I have several fruit trees blooming :cry: but so is the life of a gardener sometimes :D
I have my fingers crossed for you Ponch. Gardeners get used to disappointment quickly, or stop gardening quickly, one of the two.  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #266 on: April 08, 2017, 06:21:57 PM
I have my fingers crossed for you Ponch. Gardeners get used to disappointment quickly, or stop gardening quickly, one of the two.  :D

Very true :D Well I think the weatherman was wrong :woohoo: :D But not by much temperature wise. Of course 2 or 3 degrees can make all the difference in the world  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #267 on: April 11, 2017, 09:03:49 PM
Tilled my garden last evening and preparing to plant some seeds this week sometime or at least by the weekend :like: :like:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #268 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:15 PM
What are you planting Ponch?

Planted about half our chitted potato's in one of our beds:
WP_20170409_007 by magpie2112, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #269 on: April 11, 2017, 11:05:23 PM
I usually plant several different things like corn, beans, potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, squash, spinach, pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloupe, sunflowers and I am sure I am forgetting more :think:

Some years some things do great other years different stuff does great :tu: I plant lots of different things so I have a chance at getting something :D I wasn't raised up growing a very big garden but my mother's parents always had one and I helped some with it as a kid and one of my dad's aunts always had a big garden that I helped in some as well :tu: I love watching things grow and that is another reason for all the fruit trees that I have :like: :like:

My father and mother in law I guess is what really got me into gardening though as they always grow a big garden every year :tu: My wife knew more about it than me and we started out small and I added to the garden some every year :cheers: :cheers: Then it got to where she didn't want to work in a garden that big so after learning all I could I mostly do it myself now and she helps me instead of the other way around  :D I try to get my little girl involved as well but when they are younger like she is they get bored rather quickly and most of the time she starts out good helping me but soon wanders off ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%