Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gardening anyone?

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: Gardening anyone?
Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:39 PM
@enki_ck: This style of garden seemed very familiar. Now I see you are from Croatia...  :cheers:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:45 PM
Wow, you really did your research I see! Well done  :tu:
What I do need to watch I think is air space as the plants grow to make sure they don't get mildewed or fight for sun.
That's what I tried to say, if given enough air space they'll probably flourish. I see you were meticulous in preparing your garden so I take it you got some good soil as well. Root width/depth is important as well as photoperiodism. These two things should guide you well I think. Also, take a look at basil... Hope all goes well and you enjoy  :)

I have tried to get as much of a base knowledge as possible, and the main thing I have learnt is how little I know :D I have a couple of books on the way regarding herbs and herbal tea blends, and I want to get the right blend of culinary, tea making and "medicinal" but also learn their interactions and influences on their neighbours before I start spending more money. Pretty much everything has been planted in multipurpose compost (ericaceous for the blueberry bush), but I think I want to get some sharp sand to "tone it down" a bit for the herbs ... but I'll figure that out when the reading matter comes in.

The butternut squash and pumpkin are really being grown for a bit of a lark, and are probably the first items I'd omit in future. In somewhere as limited in size as my garden, I think it's wasteful and bad management to let those two sprawl all over when I could be getting so much more with other choices ... but it's worth a giggle to try it once  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:51 PM
@enki_ck: This style of garden seemed very familiar. Now I see you are from Croatia...  :cheers:

:D

Hello, neighbour. :cheers: 

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:02 PM
Weather has gone a bit sour over here, and the butternut squash is really not happy at all.

We seem to be in the worst of all worlds at the moment, not enough of either sun or rain, it's just gloomy and dry. We're having to irrigate grass at work which isn't ideal.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:16 PM
It was very wet here last night, and the sun isn't breaking the grey cloud barrier for much more than 15 mins at a time. Despite this, I noticed tonight though that the peppers are starting to form on my one solitary plant, and in good numbers by the looks of it, my first geranium flowers have opened up, the blueberry bush is starting to flower, and some of the baby turnip seeds have germinated and just broke the surface of the soil. In fact the peas look like they might be making an appearance soon too.

It's nice to see some progress after the withering of the butternut squash and the demise and disposal of the plum tree (still peed off about that). The pumpkin is also starting to look a bit on the sorry side too at the minute. I reckon I just need a couple of good days to cheer them up again to give them a bit more confidence for a few more leaves (both still on three leaves each)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:38 PM
I figured out what happened with the winter squashes. I just put them out too early, (Dunce! :doh:) and coupled with the slow start to the season, they've decided not to play ball. They've been planted out a few weeks already, and I reckon I should have waited till probably early to middle of next month. Luckily I have kept some smaller ones as spares in case anything went wrong in the early stages, so I'll keep them going indoors in case I can't resuscitate the ones I've already got planted.

All part of the learning curve  :)

Oh, and the peas haven't started germinating yet (lazy little smurfs  :P). The couple of little flecks of green I saw on the surface were just bits of leaf that had blown into the planter  :rofl:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:48 PM
Oh, and the peas haven't started germinating yet (lazy little smurfs  :P). The couple of little flecks of green I saw on the surface were just bits of leaf that had blown into the planter  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 03:03:42 PM
Another busy weekend over, and a few steps nearer what I'm aiming for. The arch has been reorganised with the kiwi replanted and relocated to run over the arch, and raspberries replanted, caned and tied in to fill the trellis backboard. Effective both those have swapped places, but with much larger planters to allow more rootstock. It also means I can top off both planters with chamomile  :tu:

I have also planted a few red onions, sown baby corn (both where my original sweetcorn failed to germinate and also in troughs), and shifted my tomato and pepper plants. I scrubbed the large pot that was home to my plum tree (RIP) and re-potted my fig tree in it after I discovered it needed a poorer soil (mixed in a load of sand). A 50 LED solar string light has been added to the front of the arch, and an illuminating clock/thermometer fastened to the fence.  :D

Herbs planted so far are lavender, rosemary, sage, oregano, and lemon balm. I've also placed an order this morning for a shed load of seeds, including some "weeds" that I want to grow for consumption including stinging nettle and good king henry, which I need to harvest without letting them run to seed. I'm sure I could have liberated existing plants from somewhere, but the seed option makes it easier. There's also more herbs (conventional and odd-ball) and companion plants. Once that lot all gets started off it's time to stop putting in and just nurse everything along  ;)

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 02:10:32 AM
I used to do loads of gardening but with a move and smaller place not much to talk about. I did put in a couple of heirloom tomato plants(Cherokee and Hillbilly) and some Roma tomato plants as well as some Jalapeño peppers. I make some great hot sauce and hope to put up some in jars this year.

DSCN0464.JPG
* DSCN0464.JPG (Filesize: 292.49 KB)
DSCN0571.JPG
* DSCN0571.JPG (Filesize: 287.97 KB)
DSCN0721.JPG
* DSCN0721.JPG (Filesize: 290.96 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:28:44 AM by stressmaster5000 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 02:59:48 PM
That's not a bad size plot actually. You should get a decent yield from that I reckon  :tu: More than I'll get from two 8" pots and a hanging basket, anyway :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 09:30:33 PM
I like those climbing thingies for the tomatoes. :tu: All mine get for climbing are some stakes. :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:45 AM
I mainly just plant mint - grows every year and all it needs is some water.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:45 AM

No lime? How are you going to make any mojitos then? :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:12 AM

No lime? How are you going to make any mojitos then? :D

I do have a lemon tree too, so I just use green lemons..   :D

EDIT: Talking about drinks, Caipirinha, if done the proper way as in Brazil (it is very rare to find anybody that knows how to make it) is abetter use for limes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:35:19 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 11:07:04 AM
Pumpkin vine is officially dead!
Butternut squash is officially dead!
That's three plants lost so far now ... but to be honest it's probably done me a big favour with the limited space I have.

I still have two spare butternut squash plants and three spare pumpkin plants which I've kept going in pots, and I'll probably take them all to my father's as he's got WAY more space than me. It means I can reuse the planters for other stuff (that doesn't dominate the entire garden) which I hadn't been able to find room for.

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 05:39:43 PM
That's not a bad size plot actually. You should get a decent yield from that I reckon  :tu: More than I'll get from two 8" pots and a hanging basket, anyway :D
There is a short story about this little garden "plot" of mine. The landowner had 3 bushes planted and in the middle of the plot was the largest of them. It froze out over winter so when I pulled it out it made a perfect space for a few tomato and pepper plants.

I like those climbing thingies for the tomatoes. :tu: All mine get for climbing are some stakes. :D
Those are galvanized tomato rings and are needed if your plants produce heavily. I have had some plants where the limbs break off due to the heavy weight of the tomatoes. I will get some photos later on during harvest time. I am hoping mine will produce well as I have planted a couple very large heirloom type and a couple Roma types. I hope to put up some hot sauce or "chile"(pronounced che' - lay) as my Mexican-American wife of mine calls it.

My wife's flowers are doing well so far. Here are some recent blooms this week.
DSCN0725.JPG
* DSCN0725.JPG (Filesize: 310.72 KB)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:41:31 PM by stressmaster5000 »

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:44 AM
I don't know what's wrong but many of my plants are sun-parched this year despite getting enough water and fertiliser and sun or shadow according to their needs. Since last spring my roses blossom in one day or two and then wither the next, that's not normal  :ahhh

EDIT: Talking about drinks, Caipirinha, if done the proper way as in Brazil (it is very rare to find anybody that knows how to make it) is abetter use for limes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha
While I don't like sweet cocktails the Caipirinha I do enjoy a lot. Otherwise it's Bloody Mary for me :drool:

Pumpkin vine is officially dead!
Butternut squash is officially dead!
That's three plants lost so far now ... but to be honest it's probably done me a big favour with the limited space I have.
That's a pity, I like those very much but they do take up some space.

@stressmaster: Your garden looks nice and I like those tomato rings too :tu:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
Growing along nicely.

Some raspberry bushes and grapes and such.

And now a game. Who can name the following plants. :P

And the easiest :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 02:16:14 PM
Peas, squash, tomatoes, carrots, strawberries and cats... you seem to have planted cats :D

Not sure of the others.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:32 PM
Yes, the kitties kept "helping". :) No squash though.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #50 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:03 PM
Do I see peppers and spinach there? Not sure though  :-\
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 12:35:17 AM
When I was a teenager I used to do gardening for someone who had some sort of partial paralysis and found digging, bending down etc difficult. His method of growing potatoes was to just lay them on top of the freshly dug bed, then cover with a thick layer of peastraw. When they are ready, just part the straw and there are all the spuds sitting on top of the dirt. No digging required!
I haven't tried this myself as I don't eat a great amount of pototoes.
The first time I grew them I dug little trenches into which I put potato peelings, which produced a great crop!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:27 AM
After being out of commission for a week with an extremely painful (and expensive) back injury (two sprained facet joints - lumber and thoracic - with accompanying spasms in back and pelvis), I'm now back to doing light tasks in the garden. It's cost me £85 in treatment so far, with more sessions to follow, but it's good to be mobile again.

I planted out three tomato plants that I was gifted by our very own Sparky, did a little tidying up of rogue shoots etc, sowed some marigolds, and planted some petunias and geraniums. I also needed to go shopping for a load more compost and had seen a deal for 210 litres for a tenner, but couldn't do any lifting - certainly not 70l bags of compost  :ahhh Luckily my agoraphobic neighbour also needed some compost, so he did the carrying and I handled the "people" stuff. Worked out well  :D

Yesterday I (slowly, oh so slowly) transferred some compost into pots ready for sowing Amaranthus Oeschburg (Upright Love Lies Bleeding), Ecinacea and Bergamot, and over the course of the week I'll also be doing the same for Burdock, Purslane, Land Cress and Catnip.

The weather being more miserable than usual here has meant slow progress throughout, but I'll try to get some updated pics up later this week

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:51 PM
My rhubarb is growing like mad as it always does, and it looks like I'll have tons of grapes, plums and pears again this year!  :drool:  I'm hoping the apple tree will produce something this year too.  I also have mint that grows in part of the lawn, and it smells awesome everytime I mow.

I have a section in the backyard that we're not really doing anything with as there are too many big stumps to pull out, so I'm either going to make a flower garden, or plant some more veggies.  I'd like to grow peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sweet peas, and that's probably enough!  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:25 PM
@Al,
Sorry to hear the back is still bad Mate  :salute:

Good luck with the plants (this thread is being watched  ;) )

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 10:51:24 PM
Cheers Tony  :cheers: I transplanted some of the kale tonight to give it more breathing space. I also trimmed the suckers off the tomatoes in the hanging basket, and sowed the burdock, purslane (two varieties) land cress, and foxtail amarantus (upright love lies bleeding). I am way behind in getting stuff sown now, but am primarily after the experience this year anyway, so anything I get is a bonus, and anything I don't is educational  :) The back is getting a little better, and I have another Osteopath appointment on Friday, and expect to have a more able weekend this time round

This weekend I also ate the first foodstuff I have ever grown ... a radish  :rofl: They do need a little while longer actually, but since I'd pulled one out ... munchity munch

We should be having another week or so of decent weather, so I'm looking forward to seeing a little more progress in all areas. In some ways looking at each plant everyday stops you noticing the little changes and you don't get the feeling of progress, but at other times you do notice when something has had a little bit of a growing spurt.

The garden is looking quite different now, but a lot of that is due to reorganising though there is some growth too. There's also been a healthy spattering of solar lighting introduced. Hopefully I'll get chance for some new pics at the weekend

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 12:37:50 AM
Well my wife's flowers have done really well but most of the Lily blooms are off now. Time for whatever those other flowers are to bloom.

The tomato plants are really growing well. I saw the first flower bloom on them a couple days ago. The pepper plants are doing well too. Several blooms on them. I will probably have peppers before the tomatoes are ready.

We got some unexpected summer showers 2 nights ago so well watered for now. The drought continues though. I am sure my grass will brown up later this summer. For now its lush and thick. Still need to dig out some more crabgrass.
Flowers-04.JPG
* Flowers-04.JPG (Filesize: 310.59 KB)
Flowers-06.JPG
* Flowers-06.JPG (Filesize: 309.16 KB)
Flowers-07.JPG
* Flowers-07.JPG (Filesize: 291.24 KB)
Garden-11.JPG
* Garden-11.JPG (Filesize: 264.78 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 05:43:53 PM
Looking good, Wayne  :tu: The tomatoes are coming on great  :salute:

Just trying to upload piccies myself, but my integral card reader doesn't want to talk to the card at the moment  :rant: :bnghd:
I might need to try a little percussive negotiation :mn:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:45:33 PM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:06 PM
OK computer issues resolved (with a little help from my MTO buddies  :D ) and piccies uploaded to Fartobucket ..... lots of piccies  :D

Overall the greatest changes are due to putting new stuff in and shuffling it all round, though things do seem to be progressing steadily. I discovered I have got more effective growing space than I originally planned, and so long as the right hand side of the garden gets the fruiting plants, I can use the rest for greens, roots and other bits. Here's the overall layout as it stands right now.

The arch has been reorganised as mentioned before with raspberries now set to domineer the trellis, and Kiwi the left hand side of the structure. There's a pepper plant just in front of the kiwi, and between the strawberries in the two tier planter and the raspberries is lemon balm. The raspberry and Kiwi planters have had chamomile seeds scattered on top, and they're just starting to take hold.

Blueberry is in flower, so hoping for fruit

Peppers are showing signs of life too

Radishes are the only thing harvestable at the moment though. The baby salad and baby turnips on either side have still got more work to do.

Tomatoes are getting along nicely, and there are one or two of flowers coming on the largest plant

You can see how much extra growing space I've gained here. There will be more plants going out into this area too. The black planters up against are where some of the more the unusual stuff will be growing.

Burdock, purslane, and foxtail amaranthus (oeschburg) are already sown, and the two planters to the right are awaiting to see what seeds next in these little pots. I have left it quite late for sowing a lot of these, so I have just put a few seeds in each one, and I'll plant up whatever takes hold - saves wasting precious growing space in full planters with dormant seed

I also have more stuff that I'm trying to start off on the kitchen windowsill. Some of these will be destined to go outside whilst others will stay where they are. The tray just poking into the shot on the left has sprouting seeds sown, which will hopefully do better than those I sowed outside.

In front of the black planters are the carrots, parsnips, kale, brussels sprouts, and brocolli. There's also another little tub with red spring onions and beetroot just sown today.

I have a few other kale and brocolli dotted about too, along with a couple of other herbs and other odds and sods.

The corn is not doing too bad at the moment. The peas (next to the arch) have been a major disappointment so far with two tiny sprouts appearing. The neasturtiums in the same bag seem quite happy though

This pathetic attempt is supposed to be baby corn. If there's no movement soon, I plan on trasplanting the three shoots over into the main corn planter and using these tubs for other stuff. All the crap on the top is from next doors humongous laurel bush tree  ::) The only reason I've not done to the trouble of cleaning it off is it's still coming down in sizable quantities.

The apple and cherry are full of foliage but no blossom. I think they need another year or two of toughening up before they're ready to bear fruit though. The fig tree is looking a little sparse on foliage, but does have one solitary fig as it's first crop  :D Hopefully the second crop later in the year with have one or two more.

The stacker has petunias and geraniums which were bought as plants, and the "empty" slots all have various marigolds sown in them

I'm obviously not expecting any fruit from this date palm, but I have decided to allow myself one or two ornamental bits  ;)

The sunflower is doing just fine. Two of my neighbours got a couple of my "spares" which germinated at the same time as mine, but were both taller than mine when I gifted them  :-\ (mine was already planted out at the time), but mine has now over taken them  :P

According to my trusty solar lighted widget, the temperature was quite nice .... despite the time of day  :D

.... and if you're wondering what the ugly blue upright thing is, it's just the cover for my chimenea  :)

As you can possibly see, there's still an air of "building site" in certain areas, but that'll start getting better over the next couple of weeks  :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 03:04:47 AM
Now that's what I call an update to the thread. :D

Lovely progres you have there. :2tu:

I only have one question...

Quote from: 50ft-trad
(Image removed from quote.)

Did you plant something in your shoes? :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!