Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An interesting day

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
An interesting day
on: May 06, 2012, 03:35:27 AM
I was supposed to go wheeling again this weekend but had to pass due to some rotted spots on my Jeep's frame (thank you NS corrosive atmosphere  :twak:), and instead decided to go kayaking.  My buddy Frank decided we also needed to bring along the snorkeling gear so we could go, and insisted the water was warm enough- I doubted this, but apparently he was swimming last week and the water was fine.  I also just got a fishing license and a cheap rod/reel, so I decided to harass some fish too.

All went well enough with me happily paddling along, dragging a lure in the water far too fast for any fish to grab it when I got the urge to try out my snorkel and fins.  Bad idea- the water was so freakin cold I think I came out faster than I went in!  Of course I jumped into the middle of the lake off my kayak, so I had to climb back up onto the kayak, something that is not and easy feat, but I managed it.  As I was lying on the deck trying to recover a bit the sun warmed me up a bit and I decided that my earlier attempt was just shock, and that the water wasn't really that cold, so I decided to give it another shot.  Talk about bad ideas....  in the five minutes between dives it surprisingly hadn't warmed up any- in fact, it was so cold that I started hyperventilating and had trouble pulling myself out of the water the second time, but I eventually made it.  After a total of about five minutes in the water, my toes were actually blue.

That seems pretty dumb, right?  Well, Frank wasn't going to let me one up him, so he dicided he was going to dive in as well, despite me strongly suggesting he not do it.  Well, he did, and like me, he couldn't get out fast enough, and he grabbed the opposite side of his kayak to pull himself up onto it, but he misjudged and pulled himself right over and fell in on the opposite side!  I was laughing my arse off as he pulled himself out, and thankfully he caught the whole thing on his GoPro, so we relived it when we got back to my place.  If he uploads it to YouTube I'll be sure to post it here....

Once we'd gotten back to shore and loaded the boats onto my Jeep (still driveable, but I didn't want to take chances off road) and started to drive home, my boss passed us going the other way in his brand new 4 door Jeep wit hthe top down and the doors off, so we stopped and chatted with him for a while until the bugs started eating us alive and we moved on.  He invited us over for a drink afterwards, but Frank had dinner plans so he left, and I came home, had a shower, collected my wife and went over to my boss' place where we had a few drinks, pizza and a cigar, and now I am home and completely exhausted.

Been a long and fun day, and I'm surprised I have managed to stay awake long enough to type all of this!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: An interesting day
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:50:20 AM
Sounds like a great day to me!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:04:34 AM
It sure was.... if only the water was warmer!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
An interesting day
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:24:18 AM
Sounds like fun times Def. :tu:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:45 AM
The good thing about the sea here is that even in the winter it never goes below 15-20C. You are usually better in the sea than out in the winter (we get about 2 weeks of winter here... :P )

I also have a wetsuit that helps in early morning, winter swims. You will get cold for a minute but you are nice and warm afterwards.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:21 AM
lol, sounds like a really good day actually. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:13 AM
sounds like a great day out mate, and im odd as like cold water  :D my secret is a cold shower daily to get use to cold water,  :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:54:38 AM
Man I'm jealous.  I can't wait until I have a decent climate to romp around in.  Here in Texas, it was 95 today with ridiculous humidity.  I was at work all evening wearing my typical 8 inch duty boots, black tac pants and two layers on top(have to, white shirts reveal all).  Twenty minutes outside and I damn near had to change shirts. 

I look forward to renting a set of kayaks later this summer if I can and testing my mettle.  We will hopefully complete our move by then and I might start working a normal schedule.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:10:53 PM
The good thing about the sea here is that even in the winter it never goes below 15-20C. You are usually better in the sea than out in the winter (we get about 2 weeks of winter here... :P )

Just, FYI, you don't get winter. Glad to have clarified that.  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:16:39 PM
I would say the water is maybe 10C (50F), if that and it was cold.  My toes were actually blue when I got out of the kayak an hour after swimming, and Frank was concerned about that.  I wan't, as I have had that shade of blue many times at work and it's really not that bad, but he works in a nice warm office and doesn't really experience the world outside during winter.  :P

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:47 PM
would swimming closer in to the shore make it a little warmer?  I'm thinking that shallower water would have more chance of getting warmed from the sun. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:50 PM
This lake doesn't have a lot of shallow spots, but yes, shallow water would he warmer.

Still, I think next time I'm tempted to try my snorkel it might be in a hot tub...

Def

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
An interesting day
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 04:51:30 PM
:rofl: very brave indeed! I've been itching to launch the canoe any day now but I'll leave the snorkeling business until June at least. I've been drooling over the new four-doors for a while now, there are some REALLY nice ones rolling around the city, bead-lock rims and a couple inches of lift they look so badass. Trying to get HER to trade in the Yaris for a new toy...

Stay multi my friends

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:11 PM
The Lakes here are still very cold and you live farther north than me.

I bet that was a cold swin

Sounds like you had fun  :tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:12 PM
It was a very cold swim!

I can't read the Yoda Demotivator in your avatar, but in the context of this thread it reminded me of one of mine...

:D

Def

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:44 PM
It's been on my mind

I'm trying to make a better life for me and my wife and I'm going to need it

Defend the Hive!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 07:37:03 PM
Well, the only way to improve your life is to get off your arse and do it.  While some folks think it might be dorky, it's still good advice.   :tu:

One of my favorite sayings is "if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."  Take your motivation or inspiration from wherever you can get it, and make it count.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:58 PM
Perfect.  My son is potty training, and I just told this to my wife.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:51 AM
Grant, just curious, how do you intend to deal with the rotted spots on your Jeep's frame?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:48 AM
I was curious about that myself Grant.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 04:04:11 AM
JB weld and some duct tape and it'll be good as new ;D

Oh, I called the NS and reserved a spot for ya.  Figured it might be a good idea after you thought it was a good time for a swim :o

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:07:25 AM by derekmac »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:40 AM
The NS has a room on permanent reserve for me....

As for fixing the frame, my plan is to take it to my mechanic and give him money to fix it... :P

Seriously, he is going to clean it up and weld reinforcing patches over the bad spots.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 04:26:47 AM
If he's good, it'll be stronger than ever.   :cheers:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 05:10:19 AM
I'm disappointed, I was expecting a frame swap but done only with a multitool  :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:14:04 AM
That would be awesome.

Offline b.macavoy

Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:01 AM
I'm disappointed, I was expecting a frame swap but done only with a multitool  :ahhh

Sounds like a challenge!  Yay!  Gentlemen, start those multitools.  I will watch over here. :D

What is NS?

I hate to point this out to you guys, but you do realize you live in North, north America, and it will be cold all summer....er...spring?  In May, you thought it would be warm enough?
bwahahhahahaha!  Where is this tape?  Must see men acting manly.

Beth

PS you guys are funny. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 02:29:13 AM
The province Derek and I live in is called Nova Scotia, or NS for short, and not to be confused with the NS, which is what folks call the Nova Scotia Hospital, a psychiatric hospital, or whatever the current PC term is.  It's a nuthouse.  Generally when you say someone is fit for the NS or going to the NS, or deserves to be or should be in the NS, it means they need one of those long sleeve coats with the buckles in the back.

Def

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
An interesting day
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 03:32:37 AM
I heard bad things about the locals. :rofl:

Stay multi my friends

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 04:19:55 AM
No, you heard good things about the locals.... the bad things are much worse!  :P

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:53 AM
No, you heard good things about the locals.... the bad things are much worse!  :P

Def

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44