Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Minigrip Mod

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Wenger Minigrip Mod
on: May 06, 2012, 01:39:09 PM
I have a used Wenger Minigrip. The pliers didn't quite shut when locked and in trying to remedy this I snapped the pin embedded in the pliers handle which the lock catches on to. I have the pliers closed with a cable tie at present, but it's taken the glamour out of the tool for me now.

As I see it my options are to try to fix the pliers, to leave it as it is, or to take it apart and remake it without the plier function. I'm quite enamoured with the idea of the Blade, wood saw, metal file, cap lifter and can opener combo.

I've never modded a knife before and don't have any speSmurfpillst tools, but I consider myself to be a practical person (despite knackering the minigrip!)

Would this be a straight forward repair or mod?

I've looked at the mod stickies but they only seem to refer to Vics - Has anyone got a link to modding Wengers?

Cheers, Magentus
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Wenger Minigrip Mod
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:53:56 AM
Well, I've never had a Wenger or a Vic apart myself, but hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:06:31 AM
Have you inquired about getting it repaired under warranty?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:32:32 AM
I have modded a few Wengers but I never had a minigrip so i don't know how it looks "naked" and on which pin the handle rides/pivots. (that's the one that broke, right-I just skimed through your other thread) could you post some pics of it without the scales and the problem area?

Offline rotokid

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:51:36 AM
Howdy all,
I've modded a few Wenger's but I generally prefer not to. Here are a couple of pics showing a Wenger and a Vic with scales off. The Victorinox is much easier to put back together if you where carefull to save the bushings when you took it apart. The Wenger's are a litttle tougher to get the tightness just right (imo). If you are going to use factory scales once it is modded be sure to stay clear of the raised clips on the liner. A tip for anyone who is making custom scales for Wenger's, Since you will need to epoxy them on any way either cut off the tabs from the liner or while the knife is disassembled (if you are changing tools while modding) flatten them into the liner on a flat before reassembly. Also be carefull the epoxy will go right through the holes in the liner and onto the blades and the liner. Then it becomes a wenger fishing weight.
naked Victorinox.jpg
* naked Victorinox.jpg (Filesize: 28.58 KB)
naked Wenger.jpg
* naked Wenger.jpg (Filesize: 31.01 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:24 AM
Then it becomes a wenger fishing weight.
   :rofl:

Thanks for the advice people. Seeing as I made such a snafu with this originally and the Wenger contact I have here in the UK seems very approachable I may try the warranty idea first. Left to my own devices I will end up with the fishing weight!

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:50:22 PM
Is the pin that sheared, just a plain round pin pressed into the jaw? Maybe it could be drilled out and another pin pressed or hammered in?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:22:12 PM
The problem is the amount of clearance needed to get a drill in properly. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be enough room.

I think I'm going to take the cowards way out and go begging to Wenger with my tail between my legs.

That'll teach me to meddle with things.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:03 PM
It's always better to use the warranty while you can rather than fubar it beyond all *free* repair.   :tu:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 05:47:37 PM
One interesting option would be to remove the plier heads completely and add a few short tools in its place - perhaps a snap shackle, phillips screwdriver, and/or victorinox magnifier, and retain the awesome 1/4" bit driver storage and functionality.

I did the same thing trying to get my minigrip to close all the way, except I broke the handle instead of the pin. It was a cheap beat-up one and I already have two pristine (one needle one blunt) tools, so I didn't care to have it repaired. Note that the other two minigrips I have close perfectly and cut wire perfectly, but obviously there were some duds from the factory.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD