Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tinker time

kirk13 · 26 · 3704

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Tinker time
on: May 07, 2012, 06:32:28 PM
I dont collect as such,just have far too many EDCs :oops:,but I thought this little family shot of of my Tinkers was in order.The SuperTinker rounds it out.I had one before and strangely didnt get on with it,and gave it away(and its doing sterling service with its new owner),but on reflection,I think I missed a trick.

Anyway,heres the Tinkers

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Tinker time
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:42 PM
Very nice Kirk, ive only one Tinker that i got from JD and i put black scales on it, i carry it daily if ive not got a opie in my pocket, great SAK  :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:32 PM
The blue & white scales on the Deluxe are pure class. Where'd you get them?

Tinker and Super Tinker are among my very favorite SAKs. In their own turn, each was my only pocket carry for years.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:42 PM

Mate,they were taken off a Spartan I got on the cheap.They're called Pinstripe,and cam in red,blue.green and pink.One of those ones that should be a shelf queen,but I dont really do that.Well not too much :twak:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:52:01 PM

Mate,they were taken off a Spartan I got on the cheap.They're called Pinstripe,and cam in red,blue.green and pink.One of those ones that should be a shelf queen,but I dont really do that.Well not too much :twak:

yeah i saw these a while back on a site i use to buy stuff from, he dont have any now as just looked, they do look good  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:12 PM
Yeh kicking myself I didnt get a couple to put away :twak: :twak:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:32 AM
I love those scales on that Deluxe!  The Tinker is probably my favorite SAK, in case some of you haven't figured that out yet.  :)  Out of the 12-15 SAKs I have right now (roughly-hard to keep track!), I still end up going to the Tinker quite often.  It's nice and thin in the pocket, and I've carried one off and on for so long that I know that if a situation comes up, I can handle it with the Tinker.  For the longest time it was my only SAK (damn you all!  :twak:  ;) ).  I've given four of them away, and as Zed and Lynn can attest, the Tinker grows on you.  I also have a Super and Deluxe, and I'm going to be ordering an 84mm in the next week or so from SMKW.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:27:54 AM
Yup. The Tinker is nice. I'm giving the One-Handed Trekker a try-out, to replace the Tinker and Delica. If it's too bulky, I'll fall back to the Tinker. It's a great tool-set in a very thin tool.

I think the Deluxe Tinker might be on my radar. We'll see.

us Offline Donald

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:14 AM
I modified the 91mm Tinker I depicted in the whittling thread. As for carry, when it is a tinker, it is usually the Tinker small. Mine is vintage with the flattened side and slot in the Phillips, but the small or 84mmTinker is still made.

us Offline Donald

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:25 AM
Nice Tinkers Kirk13! :)

-------------
The Tinker at work.  :D

us Offline Donald

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:43:07 AM
84mm knives. The Cadet II and the small Tinker.

be Offline dodge_911

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:48:51 AM
Gentlemen, may I present to you, in this Tinker thread

The AlTinker
by Rahmed

us Offline Donald

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:49 AM
Nice knife dodge_911.
----------
By the way, MacGyver uses a Tinker 12 times and a small Tinker 7 times making it the most used knife in the show after the Spartan. The Spartan was used 15 times with the vintage Spartan (no T&T or key ring) used 11 times.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 04:23:27 AM
and I'm going to be ordering an 84mm in the next week or so from SMKW.

Me too, JD. The Small Tinker was my first EDC. I was a kid in the 80s when my dad's friend gave me one for Christmas one year.

Anything the big Tinker can do, the little one can too, and it feels even BETTER in the pocket. (if you can belive that)

I finally lost it one day and really was broken up. It came in the maroon box, and had the shaped phillips with can key. Gone but not forgotten. All it needs to make it perfect is to grind off the keyring nub.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 04:26:14 AM
Ooohhhh... little Tinker. Nice.

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:21 PM
and I'm going to be ordering an 84mm in the next week or so from SMKW.

Me too, JD. The Small Tinker was my first EDC. I was a kid in the 80s when my dad's friend gave me one for Christmas one year.

Anything the big Tinker can do, the little one can too, and it feels even BETTER in the pocket. (if you can belive that)

I finally lost it one day and really was broken up. It came in the maroon box, and had the shaped phillips with can key. Gone but not forgotten. All it needs to make it perfect is to grind off the keyring nub.

I am pondering a Tinker purchase... is there ANY benefit of going for the 91mm over ther 84mm offering? because I can't seem any reason to carry something bigger than is needed for the same toolset.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:36:24 PM
I completely understand your thinking here, and to some extent agree, except that if you wanted to replace the scales, for instance, the 91mm is more common, and there's a very good chance of finding a used 91mm Tinker (for instance through Felinevet's shop on EDCSource.com).

There is a minor advantage of a somewhat longer blade on the 91mm. And there may be some leverage advantage on the longer handle (for the can opener, for instance).

But mostly, no. No huge advantage I can think of. Someone who owns both would likely be able to give a more informed opinion, though.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:02 PM
My personal opinions and observations from EDCing an 84 mm Tinker for a long time, and many different 91 mm knives:

91 mm is nicer in my hand than 84 mm. I have never seen 84 mm plus scales. 84 mm is somewhat nicer in the pocket.

If you go for a used small Tinker it may or may not have a half-stop on the screwdriver. 91 mm got the half-stop "way back".

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:11:14 PM
I am pondering a Tinker purchase... is there ANY benefit of going for the 91mm over ther 84mm offering? because I can't seem any reason to carry something bigger than is needed for the same toolset.

If you have bigger hands (especially palms) 91mm feels better in use. The 84mm leaves the pinky finger kind of half-on/half-off. If you're likely to do a lot of heavy cutting, the 91mm will be better.

The flat screwdriver is slightly smaller.

The 91mm Tinker is available in a combo with the Classic at Walmart for something like $25, which is a screamin' deal. Basically, you get the classic for $7.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:30 AM
I haven't seen that Tinker/Classic combo at Walmart.  My local one has Classics and Spartans sold separately.  I have seen the Tinker at Target for $18.  As to 91 vs. 84, I've never seen an 84mm Tinker in the flesh, only 91s.  Availability plays a big part in what you buy, makes sense to me.  The 84mms I have are the Recruit and the Bantam.  The 91mm does feel a bit better in the hand, but the 84's just seem to disappear in the pocket.   
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 02:22:40 AM
i LOVE my deluxe tinkers...they are so primed with matching pens!

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Donald

Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 05:59:00 AM
Nice color coordination Metropolicity!

jerseydevil, the Tourist is also and 84mm Vic. Has a corkscrew instead of a Philips.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:44 AM
I don't have a 91mm tinker :-[

But then I do have a vintage 84mm, and a Deluxe Tinker, and a Salesman ... which is kind of a Super Tinker Small ... so I don't feel bad  :D :D :D

The Deluxe is probably my favourite of those

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:10 PM
I just got a $10 walmart giftcard from one of my students for teacher appreciation week (I teach at an elementary school so everything is pocket/keychain carry and not necessarily in accordance with school policy) Nonetheless, I am pondering on how I should use this gift card. I would like to venture into the world of Tinkers however as I stated about Pocketability is key for me. Hence, my leaning more toward the 84mm offering but I find myself being intrigued by the Deluxe Tinker as I love my Juice S2 and see the DT as being more suitable for public use. As always any and all thoughts are always appreciated!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 12:16:12 AM
Not exactly a Tinker, but pretty close is this big boy, the Adventurer.

I haven't carried this much, not sure why.  :think:  Obviously I like the tool loadout, and I don't have any problem pocket carrying a 111mm.  I carried it today, and it's very light for its' size, barely noticed I had it on me until I needed it.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Tinker time
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:56 AM
I wanna play. I bought this soon after I started hanging around these parts. I got it on my first trip to the local Victorinox shop.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD