Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carrying Keys and our "keychain carry knife"

Smaug · 24 · 6218

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Carrying Keys and our "keychain carry knife"
on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:29 PM
Lots of us carry a 58mm SAK on our keys, such as a Classic, Rambler, Manager, Minichamp, etc.

There are two ideas behind this:
  • That if we go somewhere and travel light, we still have a SAK handy, and
  • To compliment the tools on a pocket- or belt-carried knife or tool.
Now in recent years, some car keys (such as that of my Accord) have gotten to be just huge. It is longer than an old car key because it is side cut and because it has keyless entry electronics in the base.

I also carry a Streamlight KeyMate on my keys, and since I live in a condo, I have more keys than a homeowner. (mailbox, garage, etc.)

The result is that my keys are so bulky that I rarely have them on my person.

About the only time I use the tools on my keychain SAK is when I'm in the car, and it is easier to get to them than to get into my pocket for my "proper" SAK.

I could probably ditch the Keymate and that would help to de-bulk, but it wouldn't bring it to the point that I'd voluntarily pocket carry this big pile of sharp metal.

Does anyone else find this to be the case?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Re: Carrying Keys and our "keychain carry knife"
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:42:50 PM
Amici,
when I do decide to carry items on a EDC key ring, I have everything attached using McGizmo clips. That way it's easy to attach/remove as the situation calls for.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:41 PM
I'm with Serge - using clips to add and remove what you need works well for me :)

I usually have a Rambler on there so I always the basics handy. If I can't have a knife, I throw a Style PS on there instead.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline APS

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:59 PM
I keep my gadget keyring (that also has my non-vehicle keys) on a separate ring than my car keys.  To reduce the chance of damaging the ignition also if I lose a set of keys I've lost them all.
Around the house I just have a ring with a house key and a Fenix E15.   

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:18:52 PM
I'm with Serge - using clips to add and remove what you need works well for me :)

I usually have a Rambler on there so I always the basics handy. If I can't have a knife, I throw a Style PS on there instead.

What is the safest type to use, i clip my keys to my backpack strap while riding to work as makes it easy to get my keys as saves me taking off my pack, over the last year ive lost one pill capsule and nearly my classic but it fell off in my backpack, i have all my keys on a solid ring and attach a carabiner and slip things like my knife or mini MT on it, this is so i can remove them easy for use, so is there a safer option  :tu:

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:20 PM
Amici,
Although I technically could have posted the following images in a new thread, I decided not too since it still falls into the realm of what Smaug originally posted.

What you see is the latest leather pouch offered by Wenger, this is a large that I currently use to carry my evowood S557. When it arrived, it came with a beautiful natural finish which was quite acceptable if you like that type of style of leather. But being the wild and crazy guy that I am, I had to apply several coats of leather darkening solution to of course darken it up a bit, followed by copious amounts of olive oil to not only further darken the leather, but also soften it up as well. 

I have inserted through the slots in the back, a portable strop to illustrate the size of the belt that cane be worn if anyone here decides to purchase one for their Wenger.

I find it very wear-friendly as well as quite sharp looking. This current configuration is now my official bush carry supplemented by a Folts Minimalist around the neck and outta sight. 
Wenger 0.jpg
* Wenger 0.jpg (Filesize: 36.64 KB)
Wenger 1.jpg
* Wenger 1.jpg (Filesize: 40.13 KB)
Wenger 2.jpg
* Wenger 2.jpg (Filesize: 51.91 KB)

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:10 PM
Amici,
Next we have a Vintage Victorinox Champion (grazie Feline Vet!) that recently arrived here at my fortress of magnitude now supplanted with a leather pouch made by Victorinox in the early 1990's. These seem to be of a much better quality than the current versions, since the ones I have recently handled seemed more like an Ersatz leather at best and not really suited for intense bush carry.

Over the years the nickle finish of the snap became quite worn down, so being creative I applied a very fine grit sand paper to remove any dings and scratches, followed by a coat or two of cold blue followed up with a light buff from some steel wool, and here are the results.

Personally, I would say that for this size SAK, I prefer the Wenger sheath over that of Victorinox but several reasons coming from quality to aesthetics.

Cheers,
Serge   
Vic Champion.jpg
* Vic Champion.jpg (Filesize: 37.81 KB)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:19:05 PM by sergemaster »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:54 PM
What is the safest type to use, i clip my keys to my backpack strap while riding to work as makes it easy to get my keys as saves me taking off my pack, over the last year ive lost one pill capsule and nearly my classic but it fell off in my backpack, i have all my keys on a solid ring and attach a carabiner and slip things like my knife or mini MT on it, this is so i can remove them easy for use, so is there a safer option  :tu:

A locking biner, perhaps? I'm thinking of the type where you... arg... This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carabiner

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:04:03 PM

that seems a good option, ill pick one up  :cheers:   :salute:

A locking biner, perhaps? I'm thinking of the type where you... arg... This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carabiner

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:08 PM
My solution is that I keep these major things separate on separate keychains and carabiners.  Anotherwords, my car keys go on a clip all their own, as do my house keys, as I also have a clip with pill capsules for medication that often clips on my belt loop.
SAW

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:04 PM
I use a separate ring for my goodies.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:09 PM
Amici,
Last but not least, we have two style pouches currently available for the Swisschamp, one in leather, the other in a superb nylon configuration.

The nylon version is made swimmingly well, that also includes a secondary pouch for a penlight. I have found from experience that the best torches to fit are the Maglight solitare (which is a decent light once you upgrade from a incandescent to an LED + a Lithium AAA) and the Fenix E01. The Stylus Microstream does fit but not exactly 100% but you can get by.

I have used this as my main EDC many many times, and it proves to be quite utilitarian as well as comfortable.

You also see a leather pouch that is form fitted for the Swisschamp also made by Victorinox. This is by far the sharpest pouch that I have ever seen that has been factory produced and the quality is absolutely outstanding. This I also rotate as part of my daily EDC and quite often than not, it is regularly mistaken for a  cell phone or even a black berry by noticing individuals. This is exactly what I had in mind and had hoped for when I purchased it.

Both these sheaths use velcro as their retention mechanism which works extremely well. Given the fact that I am biased against anything that is not retained by a nickle snap, the velcro certainly does the job and does it quite well. So as for a hard wearing EDC or bush carry, there would no worries about a possible OOPS factor.

You will also see illustrated I guess you would call my "third party" non SAK EDC carry method.  It consists of a stainless steel welded ring, a inside the pocket clip for comfortable carry, with my "trinity". An Inka pen, Fenix E01 LED torch, and an EXOTAC mini firesteel. All are attached by McGizmo clips for ease with attaching and removing. Most of the items were purchased here via EDCSOURCE, go to know and good to go!

Cheers,
Serge       
Swsschamp.jpg
* Swsschamp.jpg (Filesize: 50.55 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:15 PM
I hate the feel of keys etc bunched in my pockets so I have my house key and SAK Classic in my zip up pocket, and my Huntsman in a belt pouch.

Luckily living in a city in the tiny UK I don't need to have a car (I agree with the comment about the size of car keys now!).

In my thigh pocket I keep my lighter and cermaic sharpener and kerchief in the back pocket. Nice and comfy!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:23 PM
i am one of few that does not have small lite of sak on my key ring because if and when i get a chance that i dont have to have keys, i ditch them. I hate having keys in pocket. I hate have them on a carabiner because i hate the noise they constantly make. Whats funny, i show up for work and the first thing that is handed to me is a huge key ring with about 20 keys on it.  :rant:  I think I hate carrying keys more than I hate carrying a cell phone.

I do however love the keychain multi and saks as they are great back ups for a main edc.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:55:01 PM
I keep my keys on a carabiner and grouped by task; housekeys on one split ring, work keys on another, etc.  I don't usually keep other things with them.  I always have my executive and Q-mini AA on a 4Sevens neck cord though, either in my pocket or around my neck when pockets aren't available.  I usually carry at least one other tool in my pockets, lately it's been my Skeletool CX.

I like carabiners because they let me clip things just about anywhere, and give me the option of mixing and matching as my needs change.  They're particularly handy for carrying things on belt loops and pack straps.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
Amici,
Today I'm going "ultralight" by leaving the SAK off the rotation and instead going to carry a Leatherman Skeletool along with a Leatherman Micra, an Inka pen, Fenix E01 LED torch, and an EXOTAC mini fire steel. All are attached by McGizmo clips on a welded stainless steel ring with an inside-the-pocket-clip. 

Cheers,
Serge
EDC.jpg
* EDC.jpg (Filesize: 61.33 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:41 PM
I have keyring items as back ups ... and sometimes I'm really glad they're there  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:01 PM
I keep an Executive, a Fenix E01 and a Gerber Shard on my keys always.  It's a good little setup that has saved my butt a number of times.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:43 AM
I EDC a Manager on a TruUtility clip (basically a McGizmo clip) and a Streamlight Nano so both can be clipped on and off as needed.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 03:39:09 PM
I always carry SAKs/MTs clipped in my pockets or hanged from belt in my pockets but no keychain knife.

I use three different keychains,
1. house keys + button flashlight in a leather pouch,
2. car key +  ResQMe,
3. motorcycle keys + garage keys on a split keyring (garage is only for motorcycles) + button flashlight

All my keys are carried in my waistbag and my waistbag is always further than my pocket, so, no need for a knife there.

I am having thoughts about a "last resort" safety knife hanged from neck (spyderco bug or maybe a vic classic) but they are just thoughts at this point.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 05:09:07 PM
I use three separate rings:
  • Car Keys only. Keeping these separate comes in handy when I swap vehicles.
  • other keys only (house, desk, work, etc.)
  • EDC tools: light, knife, trit marker, pico widgy, tiny USB flash drive, whatever else
The three rings are kept together on a small spring-gate carabiner; however, these days the tool ring typically lives in my pocket, and the biner with the other two is either hanging by the front door (at home), clipped to a belt loop (out of the house) or clipped to my bag (work).

Works for me!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:07 PM
Amici,
Once again for todays keychain carry is an an Inka pen, Fenix E01 LED torch, and an EXOTAC mini fire steel.  Still attached by McGizmo clips on a welded stainless steel ring with an inside-the-pocket-clip.

The change is in my SAK of choice, which is a Victorinox Craftsman with stayglow scales, which although the Ctaftsman is one of my favorite models, I am NOT a big fan of stayglow although being constructed of nylon does make them a tad stronger than cellidor.

Cheers,
Serge

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 09:43:30 PM
Figgered I'd add a photo:

Close up of the EDC tool ring:

L to R: tritium marker, Maratac AAA flashlight, Victorinox Executive knife, PNY 4GB flash drive, Bison Design whistle, CountyComm Pico Widgy prybar.

I forgot to mention earlier, the tools are attached to the ring with McGizmo clips, so I can reconfigure as needed. F'rinstance, if I'm carrying a separate flashlight, I can swap out the Maratac for a Photon Freedom, for a backup light. Or if I'm not carrying a separate multitool but feel the need for pliers, I can replace the Executive with a Style PS or Squirt PS4. Or I can remove the Widgy and/or whistle to save weight and bulk. And the flash drive is a lot easier to use if I remove it from the ring. You get the idea.

(Yeah, there's no clip on the widgy; I ran outta clips, and cannibalized the one from the widgy to fit onto another trinket.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:45:15 PM by Gryffin »

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 10:53:58 AM
I am in the same boat my keychain had gotten to the point it wouldn't fit in my jeans pocket :o.My car keys spy capsule and spare door key are on one chain my house keys Fenix E-01 and Vic Classic are on another
Like most folk here I am still playing around to find the ideal set up

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD