Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic pouch with rotating belt clip

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Vic pouch with rotating belt clip
on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:08 PM
Hi,

i was looking for long-term usability of the Vic swivel holster sheath pouch with rotating belt clip (for the SwissTool or the Spirit or any heavy Vic SAK's), either in brown (or black) leather or in black nylon. For the Vinox MT's alone a plethora of article numbers exist, some of which are (eu codes):
  • 4.0822.L: brown leather f. Spirit
  • 4.0822.N: black nylon f. Spirit
  • 4.0822.L1: brown leather w/ rotating clip f. Spirit
  • 4.0822.N1: black nylon w/ rotating clip f. Spirit
  • 4.0823.L: black leather f. SwissTool
  • 4.0823.N: black nylon f. SwissTool
  • 4.0823.L1: black leather w/ rotating clip f. SwissTool
  • 4.0823.N1: black nylon w/ rotating clip f. SwissTool
  • 4.0832.L: brown leather f. Spirit Plus
  • 4.0832.N: black nylon f. Spirit Plus
  • 4.0833.L: black leather f. SwissTool Plus
  • 4.0833.N: black nylon f. SwissTool Plus
  • 4.0523.3: black leather f. 4-layer SAK's or SwissTool series
  • 4.0523.31: black leather w/ rotating clip f. 4-layer SAK's or SwissTool series
  • 4.0524.3: black leather f. 6-layer SAK's
  • 4.0524.31: black leather w/ rotating clip f. 6-layer SAK's

On the WWW or amazon i didnt find much user feedback (or rather negative!) on the longevity of the rotating clip, so maybe forum users have more to say how much they like their rotating holster and the clip construction. General carry methods of the SwissTools were discussed earlier, with little mention of the comfort and quality of the rotating clip.

I do own a swivel holster with plastic rotating clip for my small flashlights but i would prefer an original Vic swivel holster for my Spirit. Please share your experience and opinion (incl. criticism) on these rotating pouches! ( Exact weight, carrying comfort, durability, longevity, drawbacks, recommendation, .. ) -- Thank you!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:38:35 PM by kreisler »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Vic pouch with rotating belt clip
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:15 PM
I have one for my CyberTool 34. From your data above, I assume it is Model 4.0524.31. I'll try to remember to weigh it when I get home, but let me just assure you that the weight of the pouch is not worth mentioning, because a 6 layer SAK is so much heavier than the pouch!

The build quality is very good.

I wouldn't worry about the clip or rotating mechanism wearing out, as it is made using spring steel with detents to hold it at different angles.

The finish of the leather is pretty flat/ it kind of looks like vinyl.  :-\

If anything is going to wear out, it will be the velcro closure. I wish they made this model with a nice snap, like on the old Zermatt pouches.

The clip mechanism means it doesn't ride as close to the body as a simple nylon pouch; it sticks out a little further from the hip.

It doesn't have that irritating loop inside for the steel, like the heavy duty nylon ones.

I've been meaning to do a YouTube video of the different Victorinox pouches I have. It's so hard to get any good info on them from the info on the sales pages. I may have been one of the few guys who rated this on Amazon. (I go by "Smaug" there too.)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:16 PM
I'm following this thread.

I have been wanting a new sheath for my Spirit and I need a sheath for my swisschamp.

I know little to nothing about them.

Great topic

I have had a hard time learning anything about them but I know the swivel clip sheath is what I want.

Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:02:39 AM
Thanks Smaug! your post already contains good info. Very helpful :=)
i am interested in the durability of the leather pouch (w/ rotating clip) but the nylon pouch (w/ rotating clip) might be much more light-weight. we cannot trust the webpages by dealers and manufacturers which state "50grams" for both pouch versions.

for our information, my nylon-plastic flashlight swivel holster weighs 59grams.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:52 AM
I just posted a video comparing several different types of Victorinox pouches for you.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37410.0.html

I hope it helps!

Oh, the weights:

Leather Zermatt: 1.6 oz. (45 g)
SwissTool Pouch: 0.9 oz. (28 g)
Heavy duty nylon w/ annoying loop: 1.3 oz. (38 g)
Light duty nylon (my favorite): 0.5 oz. (16 g)
Leather w/ rotating clip: 2.1 oz. (62 g)

For reference, the CyberTool 34 that fits in the Leather one with rotating clip weighs 5.6 oz. (159 g)

The Workchamp weighs 7.3 oz. (208 g).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:53:30 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:18 AM
Thanks Smaug great video.
Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 12:37:06 PM
Smaug, excellent video, i luv it!!  :drink:
Thank you very much for your efforts, i watched it in 720p :D
I dont mind the snap vs velcro closure .. but it's interesting to see that in the past Vinox was producing snap closures for the Swisstool series. Beautiful pouches you got (and i had to look up the word "love handles" .. haha .. i dont havem but it's more comfortable to carry a pouch horizontally imho anyway).

i do own a light-duty nylon pouch too (14grams!!) from my LIDL MT, and it might fit my Spirit. later on today i will know more. hmm yah, my rotating clip flashlight holster is neat .. but in the long run not the most comfortable holster option because of the play between the clip and the belt: the not-tight fit causes minimal wiggle wobble waggle. will certainly have to do some testing.

your black leather pouch looks awesome .. it's also a little bulky, sticks out a bit as you said, and the weight is something to consider as well. if you guys dont like wearing the rotating clip Vic pouch, then i shouldnt spend money on a (not too expensive, honestly) pouch either if i end up hardly using it. so.. do you still use it at times? when it's in the horizontal position, does it feel comfortable or does it bounce and waggle? or is the drag (momentum) of the "overhanging" pouch (with SAK) irritating after a few hours? ... If an object sticks out, it automatically generates a momentum in the attachment point, in addition to its vertical force (of the weight), which means that the belt has to counteract the vertical force plus the momentum. This is certainly strain on the belt. And i dont know if you can feel the strain. i might just have to order it and test the whole thing. if i dont like it, i could return the product.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:39 PM
hmm yah, my rotating clip flashlight holster is neat .. but in the long run not the most comfortable holster option because of the play between the clip and the belt: the not-tight fit causes minimal wiggle wobble waggle. will certainly have to do some testing.
your black leather pouch looks awesome .. it's also a little bulky, sticks out a bit as you said, and the weight is something to consider as well. if you guys dont like wearing the rotating clip Vic pouch

It sounds to me like you already know you like rotating clip pouches. This one has great clip quality, and the leather is good too. (the sides could be thicker, but that is a minor criticism) So just go ahead and buy it.

I bought this because I like to turn it sideways when I'm driving the car. There is no comfortable position for a vertical pouch when driving. Sides and back are out, because it is an uncomfortable lump, and it will wear out the car seat. Front is out, because it digs into the belly. But horizontally, it stays right where the belt is in front between the belly and groin.

It will also be irritating at first if you wear it directly on your side. One has to swing one's arms further out when walking, like cops do, to clear the pouch. But it is not at all to the same degree as cops' rigs. It's just something to get used to. When I wear this pouch (and I still do wear it) I usually wear it vertically at about 4:00. Then, when I sit in a chair, I move it to 3:00. When I get in the car, I just take it off and put it on the center console, in front of the shifter. That's the nice thing about having a spring clip instead of a loop; it is no big drama just to take it off.

Just go ahead and get it. I think you'll love it. On the off chance you don't, you'll have the box and receipt, right?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:08:06 PM
When I wear this pouch (and I still do wear it) I usually wear it vertically at about 4:00. Then, when I sit in a chair, I move it to 3:00. When I get in the car, I just take it off and
well said, if i dont like it, i could just return it :)
"4:00" is a little backwards from your right side, and "3:00" is exactly to the right side (90°degrees measured from your walking direction), if i understand correctly.
i found that my Ganzo multitool (the one which is supposed to serve as a gift in ~1month haha :whistle:) has a --what i would call-- a very nice (high-quality?) nylon pouch with sturdy form, a snap closure and the backside loops which allow for horizontal and vertical carry. The weight is 27grams and it sits supertight on the belt (tight loops!). It is in fact a perfect pouch so to speak.. and it only lacks the rotating clip for fast engaging and disengaging.

If the Spirit fits in the Ganzo pouch, i should be satisfied with the belt carrying options i have ( i will report back on this later today! ), and then my greater problem will be: How do i gift a Ganzo MT to a friend *without* a new pouch? I need to find an empty cardboard box now .. hehe  :facepalm:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:26:59 PM
"4:00" is a little backwards from your right side, and "3:00" is exactly to the right side (90°degrees measured from your walking direction), if i understand correctly.
Correct.

By the way, where do you live? I'm curious, as you talk of money in Euros, but you don't state your country in your info <-- and your English is very good.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
Hi Smaug, thanks for the compliment. My English is very basic ..  :-\ as are the other foreign languages which we once learned in highschool. Since i am into flashlights and tools i feel like i am dumbing down (ever watched Idiocracy (2006)? lol) and spending money only for the sake of keeping my mood up.

I am kreisler from Germany, country of wursts, good beer and 1 or 2 noteworthy car manufacturers (bmw, audi)  :cheers:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:47 PM
Hi Smaug, thanks for the compliment. My English is very basic ..  :-\ as are the other foreign languages which we once learned in highschool. Since i am into flashlights and tools i feel like i am dumbing down (ever watched Idiocracy (2006)? lol) and spending money only for the sake of keeping my mood up.

I know the feeling, my tip is using the Babelfish if you get too frustrated and feel you spend more time looking for the right words than expressing anything. For relatively well-formed sentences it is way better than Google Translate. I use the Babelfish every time I try to write something in German (since my German is good enough to ask for the direction to the railway station, but not much more than that).

I am kreisler from Germany, country of wursts, good beer and 1 or 2 noteworthy car manufacturers (bmw, audi)  :cheers:

My wife and I go to Germany almost every year to drink your excellent beer, wine and Apfelwein, btw.  :cheers:

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:43:19 PM
Amici,
I also have a nylon swivel sheath for the Spirit and hate to say that I'm not a big fan of it for a variety of reasons. But it's still a quality sheath for those he like that particular style of carry.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:37 PM
Steinar, Apfelwein is from France (cidre) ;), i like the original French cidre.

(...)

i got my Spirit today and tested it with my holsters/pouches:
+ the Spirit has an unsupported and slippery fit in my Ultrafire No.401 flashlight swivel holster with plastic clip. too bad, there's no way one could use this holster with the Spirit. and it also sticks out a bit! i do like the holster and use it with my small flashlights but it's no good with the Spirit.
+ the original brown leather Spirit Plus pouch (with space for the bit kit and cork screw) looks and feels nice but i wont carry it on the belt. too bulky, really. as nutnfancy complained.
+ the el cheapo nylon pouch of my (trashed) LIDL MT fits perfectly the Spirit. I will gift the pouch to a friend, though.
+ the Ganzo-made MT pouch is pretty much perfect: it allows vertical and horizontal carry, has a molded nylon sheath with a snap closure. the pouch rides extremely tight and close to the belt, and it is highly comfortable. since the pouch was made for Ganzo MT's (which are in general bulkier in the closed position) its width is bigger than the width of the Spirit. fortunately in horizontal carry there is no waggling of the tool within the pouch.. and if it ever bothers me i could simply wrap the Spirit in a glass cleaning cloth (glasses cleaner). It's a good idea to have a glasses cleaner to accompany the Spirit anyway. For cleaning blades (after cutting an apple or orange) or fingerprints.

Am i going to buy the brown leather swivel pouch 4.0822.L1 for 11.90€ shipped?

Maybe, one day. But probably not very soon (unless i am too bored again and need to find a gift for myself). The Ganzo-made holster has it all already: VERY comfortable carry (becaus of the lack of any momentum, strain and stress on the belt), horizontal carry possible, and snap closure. On a table the holster lies flat and doesnt scratch the table. here the Ganzo-made holster with the Spirit:

i dont know how rugged the black nylon material is.. but it feels nice:

If the holster doesnt hold up well, i will for sure look into buying the leather swivel holster.

@Serge
Please share some thoughts about your swivel holster and why it isnt an optimal solution to your carrying options.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:54:17 PM
I have this one from Pock-its..  :)
http://www.edcsource.com/TOOL-HOLSTER-STRETCH-FAMT0301black,name,112379,auction_id,auction_details

Excellent pouch which fits nearly every larger SAK/MT..  :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:59 PM
How do you like the yellow lettering? If it were mine, I'd color over that with black permanent marker immediately, if not sooner.  :D

It looks like it is really well made.

When you say it is molded, do you mean it has a molded plastic insert, or do you mean the nylon itself is somehow pressed into a shape?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:02 PM
good question! i dont really know until i cut thru the pouch with the butter blade  :D
it's maybe similar to your old Vinox nylon pouch with the snap closure (the first pouch in your video!). definitely no hard plastic .. but maybe some cardboard insert or simply the rigidity of the backside material used. it feels a little spongy, the material. i wouldnt assume that it is inserted cardboard or inserted plastic .. so it might be just some synthetic material (which is tough and spongy and thin, covered with the front nylon layer) ive never seen before.

feels well-made.

i do appreciate that the backside (the loops and seat) is so flat and thin. no sticking out or protruding like typical clips or rotating clips.

i like the yellow stitching! if it said "1-800-SAFEWAY", "WALMART", "KROGER", "ALDI" or "BuyMore" (haha), then i would color it over :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:46:39 PM by kreisler »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:46 AM
Steinar, Apfelwein is from France (cidre) ;), i like the original French cidre.

As a tourist, I wouldn't chance saying that out loud in in or around Frankfurt...  ;) French cider is IMHO quite a different beast from the Hessian Apfelwein, and I do prefer Speyerling over French cider.

(Totally OT, but I just follow the traditions of this forum. :D )

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%