Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Saw test

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Saw test
on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:01 PM
A brief saw test.

I have been waiting for a chance to get my hands on a Victorinox product with a saw, and finally got a One-Hand Trekker the other day. I wanted to see how it stacked up to my Leatherman Wave for performance, and so I pulled out all my MTs with saws and gave them a work-out.

Participants: A pair of Vice Grips clamping a reciprocating saw blade, Leatherman Wave, Sheffield 17-in-1 Multi Tool, Husky Medium Multitool, A no-name generic SAK knock-off, and the Victorinox Trekker.

I found a branch in our yard that had recently fallen from our oak tree. It was about 1 1/4” (32mm) thick overall, with a solid oak center of about 3/4” (19mm).

Results:
Worst of the line-up was the SAK knock-off. It got about 2/3 through, and the saw went dull. It simply stopped cutting. This should be a lesson on usefulness/reliability of those knock-offs. If you can't rely on it cutting one branch, it's garbage.

The next up, in quality was the Husky Medium Multitool. It completed the task. There was no noticeable dulling of the saw, but it's inside folding design, short blade length, and uncomfortable handle made it a slow, bad experience.

Above that, and I'll call tied, are the Vice Grips with reciprocating saw blade and the Sheffield 17-in-1 Multitool. Both did the job. While the Sheffield suffered from the same inside-folding blade limitation of the Husky, it cut better, and was much more comfortable in hand. The side-turned handle of the Vice-Grip/saw blade combo was weird to hold, and I was surprised to find that a brand-new multi-purpose blade didn't cut wood tremendously well. I would call both of these options adequate.

Then came the Wave. It cut well, and the tool isn't in the way of the blade's cutting area. Blade length is pretty good, but there's a bit of discomfort using the tool.

The winner in this though, was pretty clearly the Trekker. It has a slight length advantage over the Wave, they cut equally well, but the Trekker was much more comfortable in hand while doing it.

If the slight ergonomic issue isn't important, it's very close, with a slight edge still going to the Trekker.

If any of you are wondering why I even tested a pair of Vice-Grips with a reciprocating saw blade clamped in it, it's because a video I watched where Dave Cantebury recommended it as a cheap option in a video on you-tube (one of  his 'Building a Discount Bushcraft Kit' videos, if I remember right). I thought since I had the gear, I'd test it. I used a 6” Lenox Fire and Rescue Blade, which is for wood, metal, or plastic. A dedicated wood blade would have likely performed better.

That concludes Lynn's daily crazy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:52:03 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Re: Saw test
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:54:54 PM
Nice review  :tu:  Your findings don't surprise me, as I've always found the Vic saws get the job done.
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:35:05 AM
Thanks kindly.

Along with being happy with the Trekker, it adds another thumbs-up on my opinion of the Wave, which is already pretty high.

And minus the fact that the longer tools are hard to extract from the Sheffield 17-in-1, it's turning out to be a pretty good tool for $15. I wouldn't choose it over a Leatherman, but it's not a bad option for the cash-strapped.

As a side note, I found the Dave Canterbury video I mentioned in the first post...

Offline b.macavoy

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:57 AM
Thank you Lynn.
I really appreciate your tests, and the explanation of the findings.
So, the Wave gets your vote, just out of this group? Or out of all your tools (with saws)?

Beth

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:52 AM
Specifically for saw use...
I'd consider the Sheffield 17-in-1 adequate for the task, as well as the Vice grip/sawblade. They both got the task done, and weren't too demanding. I consider the Wave very good at the task. It cut quickly and easily. The only downside was some discomfort in holding the tool. I consider the Victorinox Trekker the best. It cuts the wood as well as the Wave, has a slightly longer blade, which with a saw seems to matter a good deal, and is more comfortable.

So, anyway, the straight-up answer is: Wave is very good, Trekker is a little better... for this task. I'd recommend either, depending on the form factor you like better and how much weight you're willing to carry.

Overall...
There are too many factors to say the Wave or Trekker is 'better'. I'm left-handed and want a one-hand-opening blade to carry with me. For this, the Trekker is good and the Wave is not. There's a discussion about this very issue in the  'Left-handed OHO for Trekker?' thread. Feel free to check that out.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37308.0.html

Both the Wave and Trekker are excellent tools, and I'm very happy to own both. I carry the Trekker, along with two small key-chain size multitools to cover what I consider my likely tool needs. For the same weight as those three tools, I could instead carry the Wave, with diminished ability in some areas, and greatly improved ability in others. I hope that was helpful, and not as rambley as it sounds to me. :D

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Saw test
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:35:49 AM
:tu:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:46 AM
I'm just happy the Vic product won, or this thread would be a dangerous place...  :rofl:

I would think twice about posting the result of any saw test where Vic didn't win or any file test where Leatherman didn't win... ;)

BS aside, excellent to see your tests again, Lynn!  I really like these comparisons. :tu:

Do you think the more rounded handle of the Charge series would be better in the hand for sawing than the Wave?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:35 AM
I am another huge fan of the Vic saw.  Even the shorter 91/93mm and 84mm ones work superbly. :tu:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts Lynn.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 03:53:23 PM
Great test.

I'd love to see a comparison of the vic 84mm/91mm/93mm/108mm saws.  :pok:
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 04:13:09 PM
Thanks for test Ash  :tu:
The LM wave and Trekker are my preferred MT, both have a very good saw but definitely as you mentioned the Trekker is much confortable.
The Wenger Ranger also have a very good saw, I believe its similar compared with the Trekker.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:12:13 PM
I'd love to see a comparison of the vic 84mm/91mm/93mm/108mm saws.  :pok:

I don't think we need one. They're all cut the same, and have proper spine relief; the only difference is length; obviously a longer saw cuts in fewer strokes, and can tackle thicker material.

But hey, if Ash has more branches to clear from his yard, and a lotta time on his hands, go for it!  :)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
Just some... emm... notes. It's Lynn, not Ash... and 'she' or 'her' not 'he' or 'his' (for both Ash and Lynn)

However, Ashley is more than welcome to share in the testing if she'd like. Ash, care to link that thread with the video you did of the saw testing?

As for testing the Charge and various sizes of Vics... I'd LOVE to, please PM me for my address where you can send me free stuff, so I can test it.  :rofl:

In all seriousness... I'd guess the Charge might be a bit more comfortable in-hand than the Wave.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:00:29 PM
Just some... emm... notes. It's Lynn, not Ash... and 'she' or 'her' not 'he' or 'his' (for both Ash and Lynn)

Oh, sorry! I thought… I mean, I… but then…

I'll be over in the corner for a while.   :surrender:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 08:01:44 PM
Excellent review!

From my own experience, there's also a difference when cutting green wood and kiln dried wood.  The Leatherman saw has smaller teeth and cuts kiln dried wood better than the Vic (imo).  On green wood, the Leatherman is a bit slower and tends to get clogged by wet wood bits.

The Vic, otoh, is more aggressive and tends to jam more on kiln dried wood but rips through green wood famously.

Might be worth a test addendum.... :pok:

:D

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:16 PM
As for testing the Charge and various sizes of Vics... I'd LOVE to, please PM me for my address where you can send me free stuff, so I can test it.  :rofl:

I thought you might say that... erm... fair point!
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:55 PM
Gryffin:It's all good. Just thought I'd clarify. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad.

Mr. Whippy: Interesting.... I might have to go do head-to head Trekker v Wave to see how they fair.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 09:06:01 PM
Okay... I took my hedge clippers, pruner, and the Wave and Trekker into the back yard and did some trimming. Obviously, this was all green stuff. If the clippers and pruner wouldn't handle it, the job fell to the Wave and Trekker. I tried to alternate, and give each one a shot at each given species, as fairly as I could. These plants were about a 1/2" (13mm) thick in general.

Both the Wave and Trekker cut them quickly. I think with additional testing, the longer stroke of the Trekker made it noticeably faster at the task, but not by a huge amount. I'd guess it's about 30% faster than the Wave.

Once done, I blew as much crud out of each as I could. Here's what they looked like afterward...

So, here I have two tools, both covered in crud, and I'm pondering how to clean them. If only I had something I could use to PICK the TEETH of these... Wait a minute! :D  I pull the toothpick out of the Trekker, and use it to pick the plant debris out of the teeth. It's not a difficult task. So, now I'm looking at the Wave, and thinking I'm seeing a problem. If only IT had a small, pick-like BIT that could be removed to use for... Wait a minute! :D So, I pull the small flat-head bit from the small bit holder, and use it to clean the Wave's saw. The Wave might have the slight advantage in the cleaning department if something was particularly stubborn. The metal small bit was much more resilient, obviously, than the Trekker's toothpick. But really, both worked fine to clean their respective saws.

I didn't notice that one saw clogged up more than the other. On another day, cutting a different selection of plants, maybe I would.

Still a close race on green plants, but I'm sticking with a slight victory for the Trekker, although both did the job great. Also, on the softer green plants, compared to the oak branch from yesterday, I didn't notice as much discomfort using the Wave. These things both cut the softer green plants like champs, and I was very impressed.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 11:34:52 PM
I've noticed that the reciprocating saw blades aren't really sharp out of the box, not even close compare to the double tooth design on vic/lm (the knockoff tend to have dull teeth too). If you sharpen them they tend to work a bit better.

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:19:54 AM
Lynn:
Thanks for the reviews!

This past weekend I needed a saw to cut some reliefs from pine boards used for shelving.  Only needed to cut about 1.25" or 30cm from them.  I reached for my OHTrekker and then remembered that I left it home because I had the Wave on my belt.

The Wave's cut on the pull only saw was not what I was hoping for as it was harder to start the cut and was not as fast as I am accustomed to.  LM saws are OK, but can't match the VIC saws for speed and ease of use.
W

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Saw test
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:25 PM
Awesome review lynn!   

As for the discomfort using the wave i can see that.  I saw a post asking about the charge, and i think it would make a world of difference for comfort because charge handles are the cats meow.  I will test mine tonight if i can.  I want to pit my charge against my rebar anyway.

Sent from my myphone using Crapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:09 PM
So I picked up a $2 pack of Buck Bros. keyhole saw blades. One was for wood and one for metal.

The blades are about 6 1/4" (159mm) in length.

I tested the wood blade clamped in the vice grips against the Victorinox on the same stick I used for initial testing, and I have to give a slight advantage to the saw blade/vice grips.

So, $2 for the vice grips, and $2 for two blades, and you can have a decent saw. Interesting.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:03 PM
Now you need to get a Leatherman Crunch  >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:13 PM
Considering the usefulness of the locking pliers, it has certainly crossed my mind.

Now, if I can just magically conjure funds...

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15:09 AM
You really should get a crunch.  You seem to like testing things, there is a world of things you can test that on!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:10 PM
This video just came in on my Youtube feed. TheLateBoyScout posted a test video on Leatherman saws. Just thought it might add to the discussion.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:59 PM
I have always found Vic saws whether it be 111 or 91 mm superior. Even the wenger saws are not the best

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 07:08:33 PM
I was out in my garden today doing more to the dollshouse and used the charge Ti's wood saw on some thin strips of wood and it worked a treat,although i used the waves alot over the years and never minded the discomfort , although the charge fell off the table outside and my heart sank  :D i really must think of this as a tool as i did my wave for years  ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:27 PM
I was out in my garden today doing more to the dollshouse and used the charge Ti's wood saw on some thin strips of wood and it worked a treat,although i used the waves alot over the years and never minded the discomfort , although the charge fell off the table outside and my heart sank  :D i really must think of this as a tool as i did my wave for years  ;)

I like the Charge/Wave saws as well, other than the handles digging in on the wave it's a fantastic saw.  I have been carrying my BO Wave for a long time now and really like it. 

The more I drop it and ding the finish the more I like it.  It is starting to look a little used, and that just enhances how awesome it looks.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
I find saws to be vital to a tool for me, as my primary use is outdoors at school. I use a few: a kick with a blast saw, i had to file one tooth off the end (which i believe ends up only one tooth shorter than the wave),  cs4 (also only one tooth shorter than the wave  :think: , a core (excellent, great handle and saw length, but pocket carry is tough, though doable), 91mm vic saw, swisstool saw (same as 91mm saw...  :think: ), and my personal favorite, a PST with a SOG saw which is fantastic, great saw length: tool size ratio, very comfortable, other handle in the way, but not much, and possibly my favorite teeth on any mt saw, very aggressive. I also have a wave, but after modding in a BO plier head, can't tighten the screws back enough to be functional  :cry:
I've also used vic 111mm saws, they're great, but not as good a tool overall as the others for me

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:08 PM

I like the Charge/Wave saws as well, other than the handles digging in on the wave it's a fantastic saw.  I have been carrying my BO Wave for a long time now and really like it. 

The more I drop it and ding the finish the more I like it.  It is starting to look a little used, and that just enhances how awesome it looks.

Ive never had a BO MT but i do like the look of them rubbed up and scratched  :tu: the charge is kind of blingy but i must remember its a tool  :D i never gringed in the old days with my old wave  :D infact i never oiled it ever but these days i even clean them  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%