Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Scales: Nylon or Cellidor?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
SAK Scales: Nylon or Cellidor?
on: May 12, 2012, 12:35:52 AM
Amici,
Out of curiosity regarding SAK scales, what do you prefer, the new Nylon or the traditional Cellidor and why?

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: SAK Scales: Nylon or Cellidor?
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:39:49 AM
Shoulda made this a poll.

I guess I prefer cellidor, despite the lack of ruggedness. Reason: I like how the cross & shield is integral with the scales, rather than just silkscreened or painted on, which looks really cheap by comparison.

Vic should have embedded the cross in the scales properly, instead of taking the cheap way out.

I prefer Wenger's Evo scales to either of the above. They're softer and less prone to cracking than cellidor, and they seem to be just as rugged as nylon, in my limited experience.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
I prefer cellidor, I recently aquired an "economy" nylon scaled sak and must say that I will not be seeking any others. But lets all be honest, we really prefer ALOX!  :drool:

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:28 AM
Cellidor is better looking on 91mm and below but they will get scratch, crack, ding and chip. If they can use print Vic logo like the OHT instead of the silver lining printing, I will go for the Nylon.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:01:11 AM
DeezNittles wrote:
But lets all be honest, we really prefer ALOX!

Amici,
Of COURSE we would all love Alox scales on our SAK's, but sadly, these are few and far between.

Smaug, I agree, that would make a great poll, should have thought if it earlier!  :tu:

I recenly purchased via Swissbianco some Nylon scales, one pair redm the other black. I tried the red nylon on my swisschamp, but after a few hours wasn't "feeling" it and replaced them with red cellidor scales. Personally, I should have left the white cellidor scales on and am quite furious with myself for removing them! :rant:

Cheers,
Serge

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 01:17:31 AM
If I could find them, plus nylon scales. Rough it up with some steel wool or fine grain sand paper, and it is very, very grippy even when wet, and they have better resistance to a lot of solvents than cellidor
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 01:18:13 AM
Neither is my preference, but nylon above cellidor.  Alox for the win obviously.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline tapong

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:28:26 AM
sigh, neither. cellidor is pretty -- for a while, and nylon looks *ungh* cheap

using my saks for largely food prep i found it quite frustrating that meat juice kept getting inbetween the alox and plastic scales and all sorts of gunk kept jamming the joints. one day i just popped the plastic off and boiled it -- done, clean, sanitary and actually more grippy as i placed my thumb and index over the exposed brass rivets. under heavy use (opening coconuts), it started to develop some play but with just a quick light tap with a ball peen hammer it's back to being nice and tight.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 03:04:50 AM
Amici,
Although I'm quite sure that this question has been asked before, about replacing cellidor scales. I was under the impression that once you remove them, you cannot reinstall the same pair although I have seen some folks here do just that thing.  Now they may have applied some sort of adhesive doing so, but that would make the knife redundant since then you be stuck with glued on damaged scales if that was to happen.

So what is it, remove and done, or remove and remount some other day?

Cheers,
Serge 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25