Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinner sak with pliers

us Offline thedoover

• Ultra-mega chicken. Shh! Is legend.
Thinner sak with pliers
on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:00 PM
First post here I think.

I'm looking for a SAK with pliers that is 4, or preferably 3 layers or less.  If I really had my way, it would have pliers, scissors, blade obviously and a bit driver but barring the bit driver an inline Phillips.

The options I've seen that have pliers are:
Mechanic
Deluxe tinker
Cybertool variants
Yeoman mechanic
Cyber yeoman
Wenger tradesman
Wenger EVO models that are pretty big.

Right now I'm leaning towards a deluxe tinker (preferably alox) or a yeoman mechanic.  I don't really care for the magnifying glass but eh, waddya gonna do.

Do you guys know of any other options out there that would meet my criteria.  Even better would be se thickness comparison shots.

Thanks

Sent through a series of tubes...

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Thinner sak with pliers
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:19:32 PM
Sounds like you have already done a bit of research, but if you haven't check the wiki out, that is helpful:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

Also, you won't find Alox models as standard so you're looking at expensive mods :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline thedoover

Thinner sak with pliers
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:36:00 PM
I've checked out SOSAK and SAKWiki also.  I didn't want to ask a question empty handed and get flamed.

I won't carry one if it's too thick so I wanted opinions.

Sent through a series of tubes...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:35 PM
Dont worry people are nice here!  Noone gets flamed.

A mod does sound like your best option.  It only gets expensive if you want the components on an alox frame, if you just want layer swapping around on the 91mm frames its not as bad.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline silentio

Thinner sak with pliers
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:53 PM
Don't worry about getting flamed here, unless you are heading over to the LM forum to talk about rust :D

Woo, your requirements are what would make my perfect SAK too. would love to see what you end up with. I now go around with my CT29 and Juice S2 sometimes.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:15 PM
Ooh no, we're a bunch of smurf cats :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:04 PM
I'm going to jump in and agree about how cool folks are here, and SUPER helpful on every subject I've cared to ask upon. It is, of course, just good netiquette to search for threads that might have covered a topic before asking, but the folks here have all seemed very willing to politely point me to threads should a topic already exist. Great bunch of folks, IMO.

I'm also in a fairly similar position in trying to find the 'perfect' SAK. I have an Explorer, which is 4 layers, one of them a fairly thick layer, and I'm pretty sure that's close to maxing out what's ever going to feel comfortable in-hand for me. I've been looking for something with file and saw, in the smallest package, which puts me at Craftsman/Handyman or thereabouts.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to the boards!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:24 PM
The Craftsman is one of my favourite standard SAKs Lynn, and I don't mind pocket carrying it even though it's a bit chunky.

For me, it's the Swiss Champ's utility without the stuff I can live without :)
You could of course mod a Champ or Craftsman down further to get what you need.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:13:23 PM
The options I've seen that have pliers are:
Mechanic
Deluxe tinker
Cybertool variants
Yeoman mechanic
Cyber yeoman
Wenger tradesman
Wenger EVO models that are pretty big.

Right now I'm leaning towards a deluxe tinker (preferably alox) or a yeoman mechanic.  I don't really care for the magnifying glass but eh, waddya gonna do.

Do you guys know of any other options out there that would meet my criteria.  Even better would be se thickness comparison shots.

Sorry, no pictures, but here are some numbers:

Mechanic not sure about the thickness, I would guess about 19 mm (thickness of a Tinker + (thickness of Deluxe Tinker - thickness of Super Tinker))
Deluxe tinker 22 mm thick
CyberTool 29 21 mm thick
CyberTool 34 28 mm thick
CyberTool 41 33 mm thick
CyberTool Lite 33 mm thick

Btw, the Handyman and Craftsman are 27 mm thick, while the Explorer is 21 mm.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
This is a CT29, a mod and a CT34.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:19 PM
I like the mod - what's on the back of it?

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:11 PM

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:03:02 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
That's almost exactly what I'm planning on doing with my Compact.  Not sure if I want to also add the pliers layer, but I'm definitely going to be adding the CT layer.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Donald

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11:25 PM
If I want to add pliers, or since I often carry a Farmer, scissors, I often pair my SAK with a Leatherman Style PS 831488. The latter gets clipped to my keychain or one could clip it to the keyring for knives such as those in the pictures. There is another reason for this choice. If I forget and carry my keys through a security checkpoint there is no blade on the Style PS. It might not work at a courthouse, but should work at most airports from tests Leatherman conducted. Further, if I have to forgo a knife, I'll at least have some tools with me. It also reduces the thickness added to a knife by a pliers layer.

If you wanted a locking blade and a 111mm knife the retired Atlas has pliers in a three layer SAK with a number 2 Philips. Since you included scissors that requires going up to a 4 layer Victorinox Hercules. [The Outrider just has scissors in the mix and a number 1 Philips.) The Hercules has two straight out Philips with the thicker one pointing down to the left in the picture. [The WorkChamp adds a file, but makes the knife even thicker than the Hercules. Since I carry a diamond Eze-Lap Model H on my keychain, the added thickness is not worth it to me. Since I misspell keyring as one word, a search should find pictures of the keychain.]

Victorinox 111mm SG PE OH Trekker with Leatherman Style PS 831488

Victorinox Hercules The toothpick is missing from the picture as I had pulled it out slightly and it dropped out before the picture was taken. You can see it in the next picture. It is a different style with a little hook at the end. Note in the other design a slight bump has been added to the side which keeps the toothpick from sliding out when it is partially extracted. Also note where the tweezers are inserted in the Leatherman which also makes it a handy companion to the Farmer. :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Thinner sak with pliers
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:15 PM
I think the easiest way to get what you want is a mod. Pliers are no problem on a 91mm frame and not too bad on a alox but it gets expensive on a alox because of all the donor parts. The best option IMO is pliers, blade and combo tool (in same layer) and either a cybertool driver or a Phillips mag glass layer.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:50 PM
Thin? Bah. My dream mod is a One-Hand Workchamp :D

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:40 PM
:tu:  :tu:   :tu: 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Thinner sak with pliers
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:33 PM
Doesn't seem that hard too do. Ahh ahh
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:00 AM
I'm not sure if you looked at Wenger, but if you want Pliers and are trying to keep it as thin as possible, the Wenger 85mm Pliers might fit the bill.  Just depends if you need the Vic beasts or the flexibility of the lighter Wenger pliers.  You still might want a Mod though because that Wenger canopener is  :ahhh ... well actually it just drives me crazy to look at it.  On Vic though if you had the bit-driver you could do without the opener layer like that mod that was posted... but with a bit-driver and pliers from vic, the knive is not very thin anymore. 

us Offline thedoover

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 12:37:06 AM

This is pretty much the tools I want.  Now, its still thicker than I had hoped so I may have to make some sacrifices rather than have the perfect tool.  It does me no good if I dont carry it.

Thanks for the information guys.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:05:04 AM
Amici,
Although the Swissschamp was the successor to the Champion, when exactly did pliers make an appearance on the SAK? Did Victorinox ever give a formal explanation for the size and design of the pliers they utilize on their models?

Inquiring minds would like to know..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:35 AM
The entry on the SAK Wiki says the Craftsman was modified from having the fish scaler to having the Pliers in 1987, when the pliers were introduced. So, 1987 or thereabouts.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Craftsman

Someone else may know more precisely.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:30 AM
Lynn LeFey wrote:

he entry on the SAK Wiki says the Craftsman was modified from having the fish scaler to having the Pliers in 1987, when the pliers were introduced. So, 1987 or thereabouts.

AHHH!! That explains as a child of the 1970's I don't recall anyone owning or even using a SAK that had a pliers installed.. I do recall American made folders that had forks and spoons attached, but pliers, that's something straight outta Dr. Who.. (The Tom Baker years OF course!)

Cheers,
Serge

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:25 PM
SAKwiki is your friend; 1985 for the Pliers in Switzerland. Introduced with the SwissChamp I'm pretty sure.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:48:19 AM
I'm not sure if you looked at Wenger, but if you want Pliers and are trying to keep it as thin as possible, the Wenger 85mm Pliers might fit the bill. 
Agree!
Just posted pictures here
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21658.msg604422.html#new
of what I believe is the thinner Wenger model with pliers (but without shissors).
Additional picture here from top down view

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:38 PM

This is pretty much the tools I want.  Now, its still thicker than I had hoped so I may have to make some sacrifices rather than have the perfect tool.  It does me no good if I dont carry it.

Thanks for the information guys.
That's basically a Compact with a CT layer and pliers layer added.

Or alternatively, a CT34 with the opener layer removed, and the small blade replaced with the combo opener tool.

You might want to consider a Wenger S557 as well.  Still a little on the thicker side, but they've gotten a lot of love around here lately.  Been considering one myself, instead of an Explorer, but I really want the magnifying glass! :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:00:01 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

Offline maxb

• New User
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 05:22:58 AM

That would be my almost ideal SAK. I am not into moding myself. How/where can i get a modded one like this?

Looks like this is 4 layer. Would it be possible to add just a scissors to a Victorinox Compact and and keep it three layers?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%