Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suspension 1 week

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Suspension 1 week
on: February 09, 2008, 12:22:06 PM
 >:(

Notice anything missing. By the way the chicago rivits are alluminum. This thing really does not work for me. I honestly gave it a try, but look what happened yesterday while atempting to cut a fan belt. Another rivet just popped right off.The cutting blade and all tools on that side are just held in now by friction.

I did not abuse it, or make this thing do anything that I would not have any of my other tools do. but Comeon can I now jsut label this thing as Junk guys.

I will not return this tool a second time to Wallmart. I will be sinking it in a 2 ton concrete block that will be a part of a bridge in Southborough Ma. May god have mercy on its soul.     

* Busted.JPG (Filesize: 11.37 KB)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:27:22 PM by hawkchucker »
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Suspension 1 week
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:35 PM
The good news is now you can get back to carrying tools you have 100% faith in.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:13:27 PM
Wow, that really sucks. :(  So am I understanding this is the second time this has happened, right?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:17:25 PM
Yup, First time was the joint at the plier end and the second is the knife blade pivot.

Funny thing is both came from Wallmart. So I dont know if that was a factor in it. All I know is no one can say I dont have a unrealistic predudice on this tool. The proof is in the pudding, and I gave it 3 honest attempts, where 2 came through with broken tools.

So I guess I will go back to lothing this tool :ahhh
S

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:21:00 PM
That's a bit of a bummer, i wonder if it was just a bad batch or if it really is a design problem?

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:21:29 PM
Yeah twice is just twice too many.  :(  At least you tried it again though buddy.  We should all re-try a tool we wasn't keen on for a week and see how we get on.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:15 PM
Yeah twice is just twice too many.  :(  At least you tried it again though buddy.  We should all re-try a tool we wasn't keen on for a week and see how we get on.

I suppose i'm lucky in that respect, i don't have a tool in my collection that i wouldn't be happy to carry around with me all the time. It probably means i haven't been spending enough money on random tools!!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:41:10 PM
I know WalMart stocks products that were made specifically for WalMart sometimes, but I'm not aware of any multitool manufacturers doing this.  I wonder if the boys at the SHOT show heard anything like this.  It might be worth a look at a Suspension from another store to see if there are any differences.  My Suspension rivets don't look like aluminum.

I once was looking for a Quantum reel & saw that WalMart had a better price than KMart.  When I looked closer I saw that the WalMart model had an extra letter in the model number & one less ball bearing than the regularly-available model everywhere else.  Turned out Quantum had made a deal with WalMart & was making a special model with lesser specs.  No wonder it was a better deal.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:18 PM

I suppose i'm lucky in that respect, i don't have a tool in my collection that i wouldn't be happy to carry around with me all the time. It probably means i haven't been spending enough money on random tools!!

Well I have one that I am not as keen on as I thought I would be.  I will carry it again soon to see if my feelings have changed.
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 07:36:56 PM
Yah I felt kinda bad that I had been slamming the tool so much here that I just had to give it a second go. But since this time failed again, well now I dont feel as bad.

Maybe someone from Gerber will see this.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:03:46 PM
I know WalMart stocks products that were made specifically for WalMart sometimes, but I'm not aware of any multitool manufacturers doing this.  I wonder if the boys at the SHOT show heard anything like this.  It might be worth a look at a Suspension from another store to see if there are any differences.  My Suspension rivets don't look like aluminum.

I once was looking for a Quantum reel & saw that WalMart had a better price than KMart.  When I looked closer I saw that the WalMart model had an extra letter in the model number & one less ball bearing than the regularly-available model everywhere else.  Turned out Quantum had made a deal with WalMart & was making a special model with lesser specs.  No wonder it was a better deal.

Tom, you may have hit upon the answer there. While I do not doubt that both of Hawkchucker's Suspensions had aluminum pivot screws, mine are definitely not. I can stick a cow magnet to any one of them, meaning they are some sort of carbon steel, probably 400-series stainless.

However, maybe Gerber also made a lower-quality variation? Foolish of them to put their good name on a bad product if this is true.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:38:22 PM
I will not return this tool a second time to Wallmart. I will be sinking it in a 2 ton concrete block that will be a part of a bridge in Southborough Ma. May god have mercy on its soul.   

Following your damning reviews on the tool, remind me not to drive over any Southborough bridges!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:18 PM
Tom, you may have hit upon the answer there. While I do not doubt that both of Hawkchucker's Suspensions had aluminum pivot screws, mine are definitely not. I can stick a cow magnet to any one of them, meaning they are some sort of carbon steel, probably 400-series stainless.

(Image removed from quote.)

This matches my results from checking out two different Suspensions, my own and one belonging to a friend.

Both Suspensions came from the local Lowes, both are all stainless steel including the pivots, and both have absolutely no aluminum in them that I can find.

I checked all parts using first a magnet, and second by scratching each part with a steel blade and then with a carbide drill.  Hard steel will scratch aluminum fairly easily, but not other steel.  A carbide drill will scratch steel similar to steel scratching aluminum.

However, maybe Gerber also made a lower-quality variation? Foolish of them to put their good name on a bad product if this is true.

I agree 100% with this observation!  I don't know why Gerber would do this, but I'm guessing it isn't intentional.  I'd bet it's due to lack of oversight of Quality at the Chinese factory that produced it.

Pivots would be about the worst possible place for the manufacturer to cheap out and use aluminum, due to the stress the pivots routinely experience.

Aluminum handles or aluminum scales are perhaps acceptable on a multi, although I don't really care for them.  But, aluminum pivot pins are totally unacceptable.

After several months of using my Suspension around the house and out in the yard, I still like it.

It's accomplished a fair amount of electrical repairs inside the house - replacing outlets, switches and the like.  Outdoors it's been used to cut back stray branches, rewire an electric lawnmower, change out the chain on a chainsaw, and too many other tasks to list.  It accomplished all of those tasks without ever feeling like it was about to break.

While not a heavy duty tool, I'd judge the Suspension to be somewhat more robust than my old Leatherman PST.  However, since it weighs nearly twice as much as the Leatherman, it should be more robust!

It's nowhere near as robust as my SOG Powerlock, but it cost less than half as much.  For ergonomics and ease of tool access it beats the SOG handsdown.

For less than 30 bucks and the ability to exchange it at Lowes if it breaks, I still think it ain't a bad deal.

N

spam Offline EM745

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:44 PM
My Suspension rivets don't look like aluminum.

Here here!  :D

My Suspension also has magnetic rivets.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:36 PM
My Suspension rivets don't look like aluminum.

Here here!  :D

My Suspension also has magnetic rivets.

Welcome to the forum mate :D

So how do you rate the Suspension then ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:58 PM
Yup welcome! even though you carry the tool thah still gives me nightmares :pok:
S

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:48 PM
Yup welcome! even though you carry the tool thah still gives me nightmares :pok:
:D :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:24 PM
Mike ya know I am going to beat this like a dead Hourse. Oh by the way ya know what tool I dispise?

However I am thrilled it has worked out for EM745. More power to him.
S

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:11 PM
I think I can guess mate :D

spam Offline EM745

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:42:39 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :D

So how do you rate the Suspension then ???

Hiya dudes!   :cheers:

Yeah... The Suspension... Honestly? IMHO, it's really hard to beat for the price. I paid $30 USD for mine at K-Mart last Summer (I'm a Canadian who lives near the US border--smack-dab on it, actually).

The close tolerances, the titanium nitride finish, the pliers' ergos, the "no-clump" locking tools, that neato holster... they all belie its low price. As others have stated, the pliers feel as good as "real" ones. Is it as durable/rugged as the LMs and SOGs? Probably not. But then, that's why I splurged and bought myself a Flik recently...... Yes, the _FLIK_! Lovely little tool.  :D Not much bulkier than a Suspension, but man-oh-man, the difference in main blade length is  :o . The pliers don't "feel" nearly as good as the Suspension's, but that's to be expected given the vastly different design. Truth be told, I almost went for the ubiquitous LM Wave, but that tool's 5-point rivets (what's LM got against torx heads anyway??   ???) and dinky scissors  ::) are deal killers for me. The Flik's Fiscars are veritable aviation snips by comparison.

:multi:

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:44:52 PM
Yep gerber scissors are bloody good aren't they, and like you say for the money it's not a bad little tool :)

spam Offline EM745

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:33 AM
Yep gerber scissors are bloody good aren't they, and like you say for the money it's not a bad little tool :)
A word about the Suspension's scissors vs the Flik's. The return spring on the Suspension's is WAY stiffer, and the cutting edge is about half the length of the Flik's.

The scissors on the Flik, Diesel and Freehand are top notch among multitools.

Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:54 AM
A word about the Suspension's scissors vs the Flik's. The return spring on the Suspension's are WAY stiffer, and the cutting edge is about half the length of the Flik's.

The scissors on the Flik, Diesel and Freehand are top notch among multitools.
I've got a Diesel and I can honestly say that gerber make the best scissors of any multi manufacturer :)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 12:14:49 AM
Yup they do, but unfortunatly they put them on some of thier tools that should remain nameless.
S

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:10 AM
Yup they do, but unfortunatly they put them on some of thier tools that should remain nameless.
Your not going to let this one go are you mate :D

Ten out of ten for being a tenacious bugger :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 12:21:59 AM
yah I know, but mine still bumms me out.
S

Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 12:24:55 AM
yah I know, but mine still bumms me out.
Well I've not got one, but I still don't think it'll be on the shopping list :)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 12:27:28 AM
Ya know for all the bashing I do of the tool I would still say that it does serve a purpose. It showes people that tools are a handy thing to carry, and hopefully they explore other options.
S

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 05:38:43 AM
Can you just mail it back to gerber? I'm sure they'll give you a non-cheap version.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 11:27:04 AM
I have considered sending it to them, but I did already have it substituded once and well I guess it just isnt worth the time.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD