Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear & Son

J-sews · 104 · 27214

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: Bear & Son
Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 11:55:14 PM
I don't think i could ever use that on another being... dead or alive. =o
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: October 09, 2008, 03:42:27 AM
I believe it's for hauling out entrails, isn't it?

Def

:ahhh I don't believe that that tool will get much use then :ahhh :D :D :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: October 10, 2008, 06:16:54 AM
Bob didnt we have enough of that thing in Maine. I mean really it wasnt a very good seller. They had a whole rack of them.

Funny you should mention that John...I remember when you showed us one of those things...

Man, it made my rectal region clench up just looking at it! :ahhh

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #63 on: October 10, 2008, 06:20:34 AM
For a second there I thought it said, "Field dressing made easy and fun!"

*shudders*
Got those frog legs.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 11, 2008, 07:18:59 AM
I just checked out the electrician model at a pawn shop here in Idaho. The quality is fantastic and I would have bought it except it had a price tag of $65.

I just bought one recently it cost me $62.00 even including 6% sales tax at Ace Hardware in Parkersburg WV.
(

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #65 on: October 11, 2008, 07:24:14 AM
I just checked out the electrician model at a pawn shop here in Idaho. The quality is fantastic and I would have bought it except it had a price tag of $65.

I just bought one recently it cost me $62.00 even including 6% sales tax at Ace Hardware in Parkersburg WV.

You're really going to hate me!  :D  I picked one up today as well in Idaho for $40.92 + tax.   :gimme:  It was the last one they had.  :(

Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #66 on: October 11, 2008, 05:52:16 PM

I guess I'll have to take a nice leisurely autumn drive up Rt.2.The Aces around here only stock the no-name sub-standard multis.
I

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: October 11, 2008, 07:41:21 PM
The Ace store has a bunch of Made in USA of Foriegn & Domestic parts Gerbers(overpriced though), Bear & Son (Micra sized) Multitools, and some off brands (cheap chinese ones) that are from the 90's including one model thats "Designed in USA". Also they have the USA made Schrade Tough Tools (w/non laminated pliers) and a good assortment of Irish made Schrade knives.
(

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 12, 2008, 05:21:27 AM
This Bear copy was originally sold by radio shack. Thanks to a crummy ebay picture I bought it thinking it might be a Bear.  Its not bad for a China tool.
132_1868 (Small).JPG
* 132_1868 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 30.44 KB)
132_1875 (Small).JPG
* 132_1875 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 24.75 KB)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:42:43 AM by WH867 »
Dennis

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 12, 2008, 05:24:24 AM
I used to have a Bear copy.

Best Non-Brand-Name multi I've ever handled.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: October 12, 2008, 05:26:10 AM
Quality aside though, it bothers me to see such a blatant in-your-face copy of reputable company's product.

This isn't a case of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", this is "let's see how closely we can copy this product and see how many people purchase it by mistake". >:(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 12, 2008, 05:46:26 AM
Quality aside though, it bothers me to see such a blatant in-your-face copy of reputable company's product.

This isn't a case of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", this is "let's see how closely we can copy this product and see how many people purchase it by mistake". >:(
I agree.            I added a pic of the inside tools.    One thing china does'nt seem to be able to do is make a good phillips on a MT.   They definately didnt try hard to copy Bears inside tools.
Dennis

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #72 on: October 12, 2008, 07:37:08 AM
Bear would sell more of the real thing if they weren't so hard to find.

R

Offline Biru

Reply #73 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:27 PM
I've like the Bears for years now, but my nearest dealer is 150 miles away! I used to get mine mail order. I've never seen another person in my area carry a Bear.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: November 02, 2008, 02:54:44 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I just got the electrician model today at an Ace Hardware and it was only priced 22.99 I about jerked it off the wall ::) I saw 1 at another Ace owned by the same man but it was 50  or 60 dollars :-\ But it isn't uncommon to get deal like that from store to store in those Ace's :tu: Needless to say I am very happy with the Electrician Pro :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:41 AM
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I just got the electrician model today at an Ace Hardware and it was only priced 22.99 I about jerked it off the wall ::) I saw 1 at another Ace owned by the same man but it was 50  or 60 dollars :-\ But it isn't uncommon to get deal like that from store to store in those Ace's :tu: Needless to say I am very happy with the Electrician Pro :cheers:

Great score Poncho! 8)

So how many Bear tools do you have now?

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 02, 2008, 03:38:10 AM

Is it the new one or the PST type?
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: November 02, 2008, 07:36:15 AM

Great score Poncho! 8)

So how many Bear tools do you have now?

3 now :D

2 of them have the shears 1 of those is a Toolzall rebranded Maintenance Pro the other a Super Bear Jaws Sportsman 157SM and now the newest one I have is the Toolzall Crescent Electrician Pro which is a Bear Jaws Locking Electrician Tool 155EL

and courtesy of Bob I have pics of the Bear Branded models :tu:

Bear Jaws Electrician 155EL

Sportsman 157SM and Gardener 157GT

Is it the new one or the PST type?

I just thought there was one type of these :think:  the PST type is one of the models that I don't have ........yet ::) :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: November 02, 2008, 01:52:17 PM
It's amazing how sturdy those Bear tools are built. The handle material seems much thicker than those of other brands. :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: November 02, 2008, 03:40:15 PM
Yep the handles are definitely thicker than any other of the MTs I have :tu:

the heavy duty build of these tools is what keeps drawing me back to them :cheers:

Offline Biru

Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 11:47:56 PM
Great Find! I use to take my Bear Electrician on sound jobs and electronic installs. The outside-available tools spoil you in the heat of battle. I'll say it again, it's a shame Bear can't do something to improve their share in the MT world as they have so much going for them.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #81 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:36 AM
You mean like actually have some of their merchandise available in an actual store?
I have never even seen a Bear multitool.

R

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: November 03, 2008, 08:39:03 PM
ACE carries them sometimes. Also I've seen more fakes than the real thing.
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: November 04, 2008, 12:48:32 AM
Yep Ace is the place.................for Bear and Son :rofl:

No seriously I have mainly seen the Toolzall rebranded ones at the Aces here, still they are there :tu: 

But Smoky Mountain Knife Works carries the whole line of Bear MTs (but there really proud of them) ::)

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:43 AM
I should also meantion that Ace's prices are very high possibly due to the fact that no one else carries them so the don't need low prices on them to be competitive...
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: November 04, 2008, 04:57:50 AM
I got lucky though because I got the Electrician Pro for $22.99 :tu: of course they had had it a long time ::) it was kinda dusty :)

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 04, 2008, 03:39:45 PM
I paid $62.00 tax included for mine and mine was also dusty.
(

us Offline Splat

Reply #87 on: November 04, 2008, 06:17:52 PM
I can tell you that Ace Hardware stores are now independently owned so while each store will usually have the majority of same items, they can have different items for sale, and at differing prices.  MOF, the Chinese govt is no longer subsidizing the difference in what it costs a Chinese company to make and item and what it can sell it for, hence the increase in prices of Chinese products. I work p/t for Ace and believe me, I check thru what's available to us a few times every month for anything new. Bear & Son tools are not available from the main warehouse so whatever store wants them brings them in privately. IOW, this is a hit-or-miss thing if your local Ace carries them. The minute (hopefully) the LM Seracs ever becomes available via the warehouse I'm scooping a few up.
Splat

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: November 05, 2008, 02:47:09 AM
Well most of the Ace's here are owned by 1 man and he has owned them independent for years

They are all Potter's Ace Hardware he owns 15 or so across Tennessee and Kentucky :D

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #89 on: November 05, 2008, 07:01:51 PM
No Bears at our local Ace.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00