Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

(Your) Batteries and Battery Chargers

dks · 104 · 26749

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: (Your) Batteries and Battery Chargers
Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 12:23:54 PM
It depends on the charger.

Generally, if they can fit together (in different slots) they should be ok.

In one of my chargers you need to adjust the size of all the slots if you are charging AA instead of AAA so you can not charge them together. Other chargers accommodate each battery individually.

Your manual will say if there is a problem, in relation to charging them on the same channel, for chargers charging them in pairs, because of the different currents used for each type.

I have chargers that can charge NiMh, NiCd (I think) and LiIon together.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 02:06:57 PM
Who keeps manuals... :whistle:

But it's okay since they haven't exploded for three hours now..:D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 05:24:15 PM
Are they charging at all? Have you done this before. Some chargers charge only in pairs, same battery types.

My next purchase, first one on the new year will be a Nitecore Intellicharger i4. :tu: I hear good things about that one.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 05:29:25 PM
Are they charging at all? Have you done this before. Some chargers charge only in pairs, same battery types.

My next purchase, first one on the new year will be a Nitecore Intellicharger i4. :tu: I hear good things about that one.

Yeah, they're charging, I've done it before... the red LEDs are on. Just with this freaking charger the LEDs never went to green to indicate the batteries are charged. I just wanted to know if it's "healthy" for the batteries :D

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
(Your) Batteries and Battery Chargers
Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:46 PM
I wouldn't have though to do that. :think: I wonder if the 9v would charge with the others? :think:

Sent from Endor using Schlapatalk
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 07:51:13 PM
I wouldn't have though to do that. :think: I wonder if the 9v would charge with the others? :think:

Sent from Endor using Schlapatalk

Hm...  I was calm because no matter if AA or AAA mine were all of the same voltage..

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57:03 PM
Some chargers, especially the ones charging both NiMh and LiIons may miss the termination of charging. That is why the better ones have various ways of checking if the charging is complete. Also some will continue charging at a lower rate even after the charging completes.

My i4 Intelicharge has missed the termination of charging of AA batteries a few times. Seems to be a problem with duracel/energizer 2450 ones.

You should also be carefull when you put nearly fully charged AAs on such a charger. The charger may read the voltage being e.g. 1.4V,  and assume that you are using heavily depleted LiIons rather than NiMh, thus continuing to try and charge them to 4.2V.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:25 PM
You have the ver1, right? I think they fixed that in the updated version that came out this year.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 08:18:53 PM
No, Version 2.

Version 1 had a problem with 110V supplies, not 230/240V. BLF has a lot about it.

Mine had this problem a few times, independent of what channel or combinations were used. No problems with eneloops or LiIons and my main use for it is for LiIons anyway.

It is a cheap charger, doing quite a lot, so you have to be aware of its limits.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:07 PM
I plan on using it for charging Eneloops and AW RCR123a. Only batteries I use. Could you give me links to those BLF threads, please?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:28 PM
..after a quick look:

differences between V1 and V2:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Difference%20between%20Sysmax%20charger%20V1%20and%20V2%20UK.html

Review of V1:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/5059

Quote:

The charger is powered from either 110/220 VAC 50/60Hz or 12 VDC. Both mains and auto adapter cable was supplied with my charger.
In USA (and every other place with 110 VAC) there is reported a problem: The charger does not work correctly with 110 VAC supply. SysMax's solution to this is to ship a 110 VAC to 12 VDC adapter.

The problem occured when mixing liIons with NiMh, by the way. V2 does not have any such problem, at least mine does not  :D .

V2 review:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/9508

There are several other threads there that discuss the i4, both V1 and V2 it is a popular charger and at about $20 good value too.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 09:24:15 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. :salute:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:01 AM
Do your lights start blinking rapidly when the batteries are draining? :think: It happened to me twice. Once with an Olight i3 and also with the AAA Tank... The batteries were clearly going to die soon, so I left the lights on to speed up the process and in a while a rapid blinking started. I was like: LOL, I got another mode!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 12:40:53 PM
I have no idea; maybe they do  :D

Bear in mind that in most of the cheaper torches the lower modes are not actually lower in output but they just "blink"(go on-off) really quickly, so you do not get continuous strong light and thus seem less bright (PWM systems).
They are usually blinking so fast that you do not notice that (50Hz +).

Maybe, as the battery drains the rate of blinking slows down so that you notice it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:13 AM
Just a heads up on cheap rechargeable Ds. I have limited use for them but like the fact that they have a large capacity. (air pumps, torches, electronic equipment)

I have been using LIDLs D rechargeables. These have a capacity of 4500mAh which is about half of what the Carbon Ds have and a 3rd to a quarter of what the Alkaline Ds have.  They do, however, have about double the capacity of AAs, so they are better than using eneloop AA to D converter sleeves or other D batteries that are just an AA with a bigger outer shell.

Their price, 3.99 Euro for 2 is cheap as most decent ones will be about twice that , with less capacity. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-6065053-4533462?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rechargeable D

The REAL higher capacity rechargeable Ds which approach the capacity of Alkalines are really expensive and very hard to find.  http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/rechargeable-batteries/high-capacity-rechargeable-batteries/high-capacity-rechargeable-d-batteries.html

Now, LIDLs has for the same price and with the same capacity Low-Self-Discharge Ds which are really cheap for LSD Ds, so I got the only two packs they had nearby. The Capacity of the Ds is higher than the Cs, or two AAs so I have no idea what is hidden inside them.
I have been using the standard, non LSD, Ds for a year and they perform well.

I have also used their AA, AAA and 9V LSD batteries with no major problems. All retail at the same price (4AAA and AA, 2 C and D, 1 9V). They keep their charge well and seem to be up to the stated capacity.

Note the newer packaging on the left..

sidetrack:

Two battery testers; a LIDLs one and the "classic" BT-168D with LCD display. The LIDLs one is fine, but the BT one (cheaper) also gives the voltage in a number, rather than just a graphic.

Heads-up two: IKEA batteries, both rechargeable and Alkaline has performed very well for me, the past few years..

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 01:29:10 PM

Maybe, as the battery drains the rate of blinking slows down so that you notice it.

Ah, thanks for this, I didn't see it before. Interesting, but sounds logic .. :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 03:37:07 PM
We had some of the older ones from Lidl and they pretty much gone to seed... got nothing to test them with but when they get charged and used, they don't seem to last very long at all :(

Hopefully these new ones are a lot better.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 05:28:33 PM
We had some of the older ones from Lidl and they pretty much gone to seed... got nothing to test them with but when they get charged and used, they don't seem to last very long at all :(

Hopefully these new ones are a lot better.

The older, non LSD ones drain very quickly. They do, however work very well when fully charged, so I use them in equipment that uses a lot of power quickly, like flashguns.

The LSD ones are much better, but lower capacity (2100 Vs 2500, stated).

Now, I had a pack from last year, older package unused and they had a PD of 1.24V, today. The ones I got today had a PD of 1.27V.  So, assuming that they were charged to the same level when they were made (usually for LSDs around 80%, I sort of remember) and that they were both freshly made then the Voltage drop (~ charge loss) is really minimal and shows a good LSD design.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 10:16:47 PM
I again have a question... one of my rechargeable AAs today did sth strange... ok, ok, bull****, nothing strange :D Just it was hard to get it into one freakin clock and part of it peeled.. I mean, not the most outer layer, but something metalic-like on its plus end ... there's still metal there, nothing's leeking, the battery is still working with another one in an old Maglite, but just.. so to say, the gray layer under the colourful layer on the plus side peeled off. Never happened to me before. Can I still charge the battery and use it without danger of leakage or explosion or damaging sth? Never happened to me before... And right now I'm too lazy to post a picture :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:33 PM
It should be ok, provided there is still insulation between the +ve and -ve.
It happens a lot.
A picture wiil be good though .. :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:02 AM
Iiiiiiiiii have a question :D

Which are the best batteries from the few brands I have?

- Eneloop
- Tronic
- Sony
- GP 2500 (or sth.)

By best I mean..... I don't know what I mean :D May be the "healthiest" for flashlights or the most reliable... or the least "leak-able".. anyway, you, experts, must know better what I mean :D :D

*** And I haven't even posted a picture to my previous question....  :whistle:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 11:10:48 AM
Which are the best batteries from the few brands I have?
- Eneloop
- Tronic
- Sony
- GP 2500 (or sth.)
By best I mean..... I don't know what I mean :D May be the "healthiest" for flashlights or the most reliable... or the least "leak-able".. anyway, you, experts, must know better what I mean :D :D

None of the above should leak.

Generally eneloops are considerd the best, especially if you intend to leave them it your torches for a long time. The standard ones do not have a very high capacity

For Tronic it depends on the type. The LSD ones are good for keeping in torches for a long time and the standard ones for using up quickly.

GP have not been of consistent quality, for me.
Some lasted a day, some I have for a few years. They keep their charge well. Again, you have the standard ones and the LSD (Recyko?) ones.

Sony have worked fine, but I have not bought any (or any non LSD GP too) for several years.

Generally batteries change as technology and actual manufacturers change. Tronic ones may even change a few times per year or from one country to another depending on who makes them for LIDL and when.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 11:23:30 AM
@dks, thanks! :D

I'm just wondering what brand to buy next... I remember being given my Eneloops when I bought my camera in 2007........ (so they may be oldish already); then got the Sony in 2009.. and I don't remember where I got those GP ones from %) my newest ones are  the Tronic. I have no idea what that LSD is or if it's written somewhere.... *blush*

I guess I'll go with a new pair(s) of Eneloops as they're considered the best and in my case they're the oldes & have been used the most i.e. might need replacing the most.... :D Now I must only decide if I need AAAs or AAs.... :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
LSD = Lysergic acid diethylamide      8)

or, Low self discharge   :D  That is NiMh batteries like eneloops that keep most of their charge after a year or more.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 03:02:17 PM
It's been a long time since I had any of those LSD batteries 8)

I'm very happy with Eneloops over all - not always the cheapest but you tend to find a few bargains if you hunt around :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 04:40:22 PM
Oookay.... so it's decided.... I've been currently trying to sell one of my flashlights... and if it's sold, I'll order Eneloops from HK ... in my country I can get 2 batteries for 15BGN and from eBay I can get 4 batteries for 14 BGN.... O__O

I'm thinking of 4 AAAs and 4 AAs ... to have plenty of high quality food for my pets... :X :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:27 AM
Oookay.... so it's decided.... I've been currently trying to sell one of my flashlights... and if it's sold, I'll order Eneloops from HK ... in my country I can get 2 batteries for 15BGN and from eBay I can get 4 batteries for 14 BGN.... O__O

I'm thinking of 4 AAAs and 4 AAs ... to have plenty of high quality food for my pets... :X :D

I buy my Eneloops or the Duracell rebranded eneloops (Staycharge I think) from amazon.uk

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:42 AM

I buy my Eneloops or the Duracell rebranded eneloops (Staycharge I think) from amazon.uk

I've always had problems with amazon... since the day I registered, I've never been able to order anything- it always gives me some error in the address. I've tried to rearrange the number, building, street, city/whatever date in whatnot ways, I've tried using and removing the inverted commas around the street name, etc... sometimes when I'm in the mood, I may try again :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 08:52:01 AM
Assuming you are not using any unusual characters there should not be a problem.

Contact their customer service as they should be able to help you.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:06 PM
Iii have a question............ (this surprised you, didn't it) - for how long do you need to charge Eneloops?

I read somewhere you have to charge them for 16-17 hours?

I bought my first charger long long ago in 2007-8 with my two Eneloops long long ago before I'd read whatsoever about batteries, chargers, etc... And I didn't  even know that the SANYO charger's red indicators were supposed to shine green when the batteries are charged (are they?) until later when I received another charger and it charged batteries for 6-7hrs, then shone green.... and since the SANYO wouldn't shine green after 6-7hrs, I thought it was broken or sth :facepalm: So, what I'm saying is, basically, that if Eneloops should be charged for 16-17hrs with a SANYO charger, I may NOT have charged my Eneloops fully/properly a single time ?! ?!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%