Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear Grylls - Mud, Sweat and Tears

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Bear Grylls - Mud, Sweat and Tears
Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 12:12:37 AM
I've seen that clip... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:32 AM
What did you think to how he answered all the allogations in the book, Def? Personally I was happy enough with his answer. It seemed a geniune response to me though it really just confirmed my thoughts, and I liked the way he separated Bear the brand from Bear the bloke

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 12:03:49 PM
You mean about spending the night in the hotel with his family?  It sounds plausible enough, although as I said, I only know what I know about him by stuff I've read on forums.  I really don't watch a lot of TV, and his is not one of the few shows I watch.

I found it interesting how he took the time to explain how these things have happened and how they were somewhat skewed.  I also like how he pointed out that hte extreme measures he goes to are indeed extremes and that they are only for worst case scenarios.  It was also interesting how he pointed out that more traditional survival (sitting around, waiting for rescue) did not make for good TV- which I totally agree with- sorry Les!

I think the best part about his response to the allegations is that it was just a short blurb at the end.  I really don't care about the allegations and I'm glad that he wrote a book about his experiences in SAS selection and in climbing Everest- these are the things I wanted to read about.  I really didn't want to read about him telling everyone out there that he's not a phony and explaining each and every allegation yadda yadda. 

I kind of liken him to pro wrestlers- regardless of your feelings on wrestling, these guys go to extreme lengths to punsih their bodies for the sake of good TV.  I'm not interested in wrestling and I don't watch it, but I do have biographies from a few folks (Chyna and Mick Foley are the standouts) and it's amazing the things they put themselves through for the passion of what they do and for the entertainment of others.  Whether Bear goes to a hotel each night or not is immaterial to me- just like who "wins" each wrestling match. 

The fact is, Bear did join the SAS which is respectable.  Bear did break his back in a parachuting accident and recover from it.  Then he did climb Everest.  These are documented facts, and for that you just have to give the man some respect. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 12:46:15 PM
 :salute: I'd agree with all of that. I'd also say that his shows are not instructional, but are good entertaining "shock and cringe" telly for the masses. I'm sure the tactics deployed on our screens are not what he'd use, but I reckon he would certainly push the envelope way beyond what others would do. People who join the SAS and then climb Everest after breaking their back have a totally different outlook on things than the rest of us, even if he does consider himself to be "very average"  ::)

Regardless of what folks think of his TV show - great book, top bloke, amazing achievements  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 01:22:06 PM
Yes- he also points out in the end that there are a lot of bushcrafters that are much more knowledgeable than him.

Any one of the things he's done- joining the SAS, recovering from a broken back or climbing Evesrest would make a respectable man in the eyes of most people.  The fact that he did all of that makes him impressive, especially when you factor in that he'd done it all before he was 30.

Discount what you think of him from the shows and look at his record and he's very accomplished.  He also gives credit to his team of guys that follow him around filming him and scouting the area ahead of him.  Even without his mention of them I'd have to say without them he'd have been dead.  One simply can't plunge blindly into water and expect to live a long healthy life!

Def

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 02:11:15 PM
It's the same problem you see over and over again when television cameras are involved. Eventually the need for ratings starts to outweigh the commitment to accuracy and truth. And then a lifetime of diligence becomes shadowed under the person's last self-indulgence.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 03:05:02 PM
Any one of the things he's done- joining the SAS, recovering from a broken back or climbing Evesrest would make a respectable man in the eyes of most people.  The fact that he did all of that makes him impressive, especially when you factor in that he'd done it all before he was 30.

:tu: ... and after all that you'd forgive a good spoonful of arrogance too ... but it's not there! He genuinely seems to believe he's just your average guy, despite his achievements. He might not be the most knowledgeable person ever to appear on screen, or the most skilled and experienced, but his level of guts and determination are far from average. They're actually pretty bloody staggering. I suppose the SAS wouldn't have accepted him otherwise though  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 03:05:49 PM
It's the same problem you see over and over again when television cameras are involved. Eventually the need for ratings starts to outweigh the commitment to accuracy and truth. And then a lifetime of diligence becomes shadowed under the person's last self-indulgence.

I think the show was always about ratings. No gradual shift on this one  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:18 PM

The very first scene in the very first episode fakes him lighting a friction fire by hand.   It was so obvious they dumped some embers from a campfire on his friction hole.   Turned me off as Im a Ray Mears fan and like getting information from shows, so I knew his style of entertaining wasnt for me.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 03:13:12 PM

I'd agree if his show started off one way and went another for ratings.  However, the very first scene in the very first episode fakes him lighting a friction fire by hand.   It was so obvious they dumped some embers from a campfire on his friction hole.   Turned me off as Im a Ray Mears fan and like getting information from shows, so I knew his style of entertaining wasnt for me.

:D :D :D I've not seen that. That's funny!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

For the record, if the paycheck was high enough I'd convert this entire site over to discussions of videos of someone's house cat dancing with a little tutu on.  There's nothing wrong with being a whore, just don't be a cheap whore... and given what the BG line is worth I don't think he's a cheap whore either!

Def 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 03:34:19 PM

For the record, if the paycheck was high enough I'd convert this entire site over to discussions of videos of someone's house cat dancing with a little tutu on.  There's nothing wrong with being a whore, just don't be a cheap whore... and given what the BG line is worth I don't think he's a cheap whore either!

Def

:rofl:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 04:01:17 PM
 :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 04:21:22 PM
I'm glad you guys approve!  :D

See if you are still laughing when the site turns pink and frilly and my dump truck and I are lying on a beach in the South Pacific somewhere!  :P

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 04:34:08 PM
Well parts of the site already match the jeep (yellow), so I've been waiting for something to match the kayak  ;)

I can't see me getting all enthusiastic about fancy dress for cats though  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:36:16 PM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:23 PM
I'm thinking a photo of the owner in a pink and frilly tutu is expected at this juncture.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD