Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you use two layers models?

jzmtl · 41 · 4017

gb Offline EddieEnzyme

Re: Do you use two layers models?
Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 11:42:01 PM
I have a Midnight Manager in my pocket 24/7

Now THAT is impressive. You must keep it in your pajama pockets while sleeping then? And you wear clothes into the shower too? I won't even comment on lovemaking...  :D

It's always in my pocket but I didn't say where the trousers were  ;)  :D

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:16 AM
On the two layers models, you don't really gain many useful functions compare with a regular folder, you get the openers, but really how often do they get used?

Are you kidding me!? We don't even *own* a normal can opener in my house, the SAK opener is the only way we open our tins! Likewise bottles of beer! I EDC a farmer, but the saw only ever sees action in the woods, so I'd happily go down to a pioneer/soldier.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 12:46:01 AM
Two layer SAKs that I own and love are; Vic Compact, Sportsman, Scientist, Cadet, Wenger Commander and SI. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 02:17:24 AM
Amici,
Don't use anything that small. All by SAK models are a 4 to 8 layer minimum.. I say go with the gusto!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline getahl

Do you use two layers models?
Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 02:24:35 AM
I'd kill for a reintroduction of the Scientist. A Phillips driver is one thing I'd like to have handy, even though the SD tip on the Classic works VERY well as a 2D Phillips. That, plus the great spearpoint blade would make me a happy camper. Not much else outside those two tools and scissors gets used in my day to day.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:01 PM
I love my modded Scientist. Knife, bottle opener, can opener, flat screwdriver, awesome in-line phillips driver, magnifying glass, corkscrew, eyeglass screwdriver, pen, straight pin, toothpick, tweezers. That's a heck of a lot of utility in a tiny package. I carry it quite a bit. It's a great tool to have for urban leisure environments like making dinner and having drinks at a friend's place.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 10:21:09 PM
My first SAK was a Tourist. Still got it, and it does come out to play occasionally.
I really like my 91mm Compact and 84mm Golfer, and the only reason I don't carry my Timekeeper is I don't want to damage the timepiece.
I do have other 2 layer SAKs, but they don't get much glory, purely due to lack of scissors

Forgot to add the D of E

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 01:10:08 AM
Blades tend to be my least used tools on a SAK,Good 2 layer models?Tinker,Compact,DofE,Mech Junior...

Tend to go bigger now,but thats more showing off than anything else
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

za Offline ?eter

Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 08:36:50 AM
I'm partial to a Farmer and a new Soldier/OHT, but far and away my favourite EDC is my blue Pioneer (see my avatar).

The tools do double duty in many cases:

-main blade does everything a blade should do, and I keep it sharp by stropping against my jeans after use.
-the awl pokes holes, cuts tape, lights ferrocerium rods and cleans burrs out of holes
-the big screwdriver/bottle opener is a great mini pry tool
-the tin opener opens tins in the kitchen (down here in darkest Africa we still get about half our tins without pull rings) and the screwdriver works as a phillips driver in a pinch

I have a Swisschamp, and I admire the engineering. But I can't help thinking that the next logical step up from a light, well considered toolset is a kitchen sink approach. If I need more than I get out of my Pioneer, I carry a Swisstool

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 11:24:57 AM
I usually carry Spartan or a Tinker.
I hardly feel them in my pocket, due to the slim and light design, and they have the  tools i need the most in my everyday life: knife, screwdrivers, bottle and canopener.
(I am thinking of buying a Pioneer to use as a EDC, but I am wooried it might feel to big and heavy in my pocket. :think: )
If I need any other tools than that I have a LM Wave in the car.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 02:36:13 AM
My most frequently carried (and used) SAK is my Executive.  I'm not sure it counts though, because while it is two layers, they're double sided because it's a 74 mm frame.

My favorite true, two layer model is my Compact, although my Exec typically beats it out for pocket EDC because of the nail file.

After those, I probably EDC my Work Champ most often, typically when camping or working in the yard or garage though.

I don't have many SAKs that are in the 5 - 6 layer range... I tend to carry/use either the thinner and smaller ones, or the full size kitchen sink models.  Usually, ones that are 2 - 4 layers are the ones I carry most often.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:18:51 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%