Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)

Hammer · 3049 · 232298

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)
Reply #1410 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:21 AM
Some thoughts on the Rebar, now I've had it nearly 24 hours...

The leather sheath...half as thick gauge leather as the PST sheath and the rivets don't seem to have washers to prevent rip- through. But still seems like a good quality sheath. Good. Not excellent like the PST.

Rebar has no date codes. I don't know why for the life of me. The blasted sheath has a Made in Mexico sticker inside with a date code of January 2017. The sheath does. The tool does not. Enigmatic.

Rebar is a quality tool. I've been debating buying it for years, and have bought for gifts.

Stiff plyer head, which I read will loosen over time.

Nice rolled edges! Not as completely rolled as my '07 Surge,but not bad

Super Tool 300's little brother for sure

Blades are sharp right out of the box

Love it's old-school design, size, weight, and inside opening tools.

The Blast is actually much better at giving up one tool at a time...or should I oil Rebar up a bit to solve that?

Even still I love it and love that there is an old school design still available and without zytel

Now my pants will stay up, as I will leave the Surge in my bag or my truck.

That's all for now. Am I off base or on point?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1411 on: September 20, 2017, 02:06:57 AM
And I thank you as well on Scout' s behalf, Steve. He's got a lot of drive, curiosity and energy.

I will be carrying the rebar daily, paired with either the SAK Camper 2 or my old Super Tinker for the scissors. Then again, I do have my Micra...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1412 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:55 AM
Some thoughts on the Rebar, now I've had it nearly 24 hours...

The leather sheath...half as thick gauge leather as the PST sheath and the rivets don't seem to have washers to prevent rip- through. But still seems like a good quality sheath. Good. Not excellent like the PST.

Rebar has no date codes. I don't know why for the life of me. The blasted sheath has a Made in Mexico sticker inside with a date code of January 2017. The sheath does. The tool does not. Enigmatic.

Rebar is a quality tool. I've been debating buying it for years, and have bought for gifts.

Stiff plyer head, which I read will loosen over time.

Nice rolled edges! Not as completely rolled as my '07 Surge,but not bad

Super Tool 300's little brother for sure

Blades are sharp right out of the box

Love it's old-school design, size, weight, and inside opening tools.

The Blast is actually much better at giving up one tool at a time...or should I oil Rebar up a bit to solve that?

Even still I love it and love that there is an old school design still available and without zytel

Now my pants will stay up, as I will leave the Surge in my bag or my truck.

That's all for now. Am I off base or on point?

The sheath I used for ages was the stock pleather sheath and it is still in decent shape :tu: They don't put date codes on them because some of the early ones had them and they showed through the handles (stamped to hard apparently for that guage of steel)  ::) :D I also love the rolled edges :like: The Blast was designed not to clump using washers but the Rebar like the ST300 is designed to clump :whistle: Thus making the tools easier to get out of the handle :facepalm: Some see it as a plus and others a minus (to each his own on this point I guess ;) ) It will definitely loosen up over time, oil will help but I use the loki wrenches to adjust mine exactly how I want them  :cheers. Seems pretty spot on with what you are saying as well :salute:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1413 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:15 PM
Thanks for the details, Poncho.

I will admit, the date codes on my Blast are very faint, but not sure I'm buying that stamping issue reason for no dates on the Rebar...after all, they found a way to stamp "B02" into it at the lock release without it shining through.

The file seems to be more aggressive than the one on the old model Surge, and cut square at the end as opposed to being cut at an angle.

I really like this one. Little ST300, but scissors instead of that lanyard ring would have really made this even more exceptional. Are there date codes in the ST300?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:11:29 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1414 on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:52 PM
Glad to hear you are liking it so far  :tu:    You can always add scissors  :pok:

I do agree that Leatherman should have put scissors on the Rebar from the get go as there is room.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #1415 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:45 PM
Glad to hear you are liking it so far  :tu:    You can always add scissors  :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

I do agree that Leatherman should have put scissors on the Rebar from the get go as there is room.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1416 on: September 21, 2017, 02:13:02 AM

I will admit, the date codes on my Blast are very faint, but not sure I'm buying that stamping issue reason for no dates on the Rebar...after all, they found a way to stamp "B02" into it at the lock release without it shining through.

The file seems to be more aggressive than the one on the old model Surge, and cut square at the end as opposed to being cut at an angle.

I really like this one. Little ST300, but scissors instead of that lanyard ring would have really made this even more exceptional. Are there date codes in the ST300?

Lost my original one that I bought when the Rebar came out and I am thinking it did have datecodes and it did sorta show through on the handle :ahhh I also added scissors and just lost the lanyard ring :D Yes the ST300 does have datecodes :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1417 on: September 21, 2017, 02:13:38 AM

:dd: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1418 on: September 21, 2017, 02:40:51 AM
 :like: :like: Me too!!!! 

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :like:
Barry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1419 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:53 PM

Very nice addition, Steve. I do like the Rebar very much for what it is, but between my PST II, my Surge, and my Blast, I am used to having scissors and -except in the PST II - also a saw...I may consider following your lead on that

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1420 on: September 21, 2017, 01:05:15 PM
Interesting to note, Rebar blister packaging, User Guide and even Leathermans own site no longer refer to the replaceable wire cutters as 154cm. They are now being called just "Premium Replaceable Wire Cutters."

Earlier posts in anticipation of its release and reviews of the tool, as well as those after the 2012 release date, even User Guides, do specifically identify them as 154cm, but not the two I have just purchased (1 blister pack,1 boxed) Just "premium." Hopefully not as in "premium leather sheath..."

And other tools are still being identified as featuring 154cm wire cutters, but not the Rebar.

Are we now receiving a less quality tool than was originally being offered?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1421 on: September 21, 2017, 02:14:04 PM
Good question on the cutters   :tu:   

I personally hate the "Premium Pleather sheaths. I have acquired old school Leatherman sheaths for all my tools. 

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1422 on: September 21, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
I have crafted an email to Shellee at Leatherman, who had previously helped me so nicely with my Surge bit holder and spring issue.

What I would like to know from the group is, is it bad form to sign the email and then sign below that with my MTO handle mentioning that affiliation? It seems pretentious. Then again, are they wanting to know when individual communications are with MTO members?

I have held off sending the inquiry into the Rebar wire cutters until I hear some feedback from the group.

Thanks

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1423 on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:57 PM
Not having received any feedback yet, I sent an email without mentioning MTO. Hopefully  I will hear something on Monday.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1424 on: September 25, 2017, 12:20:50 PM
I thought I had responded to this :think: Well I never use my MTO info with any of the manufacturers :tu: I still think you will get a response :salute: Unless it gets lost in the spam filter or the weekend shuffle but otherwise you should get a response :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1425 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:43 PM
If they only care to answer you because you're active on MTO, they aren't worth it. They need to treat ALL clients the same.
This counts for ALL manufacturers!

Oh by the way, I'll be leaving this club soon, as my modded Rebar is up for sale localy.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1426 on: September 26, 2017, 03:10:34 AM
As I mentioned, I did not include any indication of my handle or association with MTO in my email to Shellee at Leatherman. I would have been fine with a return email in a few days, but she responded today, the very next business day she was  in the office.

According to Shellee, she is unaware of any change to the replaceable wire cutters in any of the tools and she does not know why the change in nomenclature.

She said that even though the new Rebars only list them as "premium" wire cutters, the replacement packs are still being touted as 154CM, so she believes the new tools are 154 CM as well.

I was glad to hear from her, and glad for what she said, but I do harbor a tiny seedling in my mind that if these were 154CM, wouldn't they continue to state that fact. Is it possible a change has been made for better or worse, or that the use of 154 is being challenged as such?

Any thoughts?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1427 on: September 26, 2017, 03:12:22 AM
If they only care to answer you because you're active on MTO, they aren't worth it. They need to treat ALL clients the same.
This counts for ALL manufacturers!

Agreed on all counts, Mech. And I was happy to receive a response so quickly. I'm three hours ahead of Oregon, so, I'm more that happy with the speed of response

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1428 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:56 PM
?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1429 on: September 26, 2017, 07:07:10 PM
Glad to hear she said they are still 154 :cheers: but it still doesn't sound right since they aren't putting it on the package :think: We need to watch this and see if anyone starts noticing any difference with the way these cut over the previous ones :think:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #1430 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:31 AM
Well, guess I'm a new member of the Rebar clan as of this week. Just received a new Rebar & sheath from Leatherman as a replacement for a broken PST that I sent in for repair right after Labor Day. While I hate losing the PST, I'm more than satisfied with the Rebar, which is one MUT that I've never really looked closely at.

I have a mixed back of MUTs that I'm pretty happy with. I keep Gerber Stratas in the GHBs and each car has a LM Sidekick in the glove box. I carry another Strata on occasion, though I might be carrying either a LM Juice S2 or KF4 when I belt-carry a MUT out in the wilds. In my sailbag I've been carrying an old Gerber Mr. Pinchy which has saved the day and/or a race more than a few times.

I retired my two PSTs over a decade ago, though a friend borrowed one and messed up the pliers. After taking it apart and checking it out, I decided to send it to LM for warranty work...hence the new Rebar.

Here's one for Leatherman warranties and customer service, and great turnaround!  :hatsoff:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1431 on: October 16, 2017, 04:14:14 PM
Congrats on the new Rebar, how are you liking after having for a bit ?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1432 on: October 16, 2017, 04:14:25 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1433 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:59 PM
Very nice pic Steve  8) :like:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #1434 on: October 16, 2017, 05:11:10 PM

Lost my original one that I bought when the Rebar came out and I am thinking it did have datecodes and it did sorta show through on the handle :ahhh I also added scissors and just lost the lanyard ring :D Yes the ST300 does have datecodes :tu:

I still have my Rebar from when they came out before they shortened the file. I can check to see if it has date codes when I get a chance.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #1435 on: October 16, 2017, 10:44:02 PM
Congrats on the new Rebar, how are you liking after having for a bit ?

Thanks for asking, Steve.  :cheers:

It's feels better in the hand than a PST, but I still don't like that you have to open the pliers to get to any tool. This is where the Gerber Strata, LM Wave, and the LM Juice MUTs are better IMHO. I'll play with it some more, but my feeling is that this will sit on the bench more than be carried.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #1436 on: October 17, 2017, 03:45:20 AM
Glad to hear she said they are still 154 :cheers: but it still doesn't sound right since they aren't putting it on the package :think: We need to watch this and see if anyone starts noticing any difference with the way these cut over the previous ones :think:
I mainly more often than not cut soft braided wires and cables so I won't notice a huge difference, if there was one. 154cm is great tho. I really like that steel, definitley hope it stays.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #1437 on: October 17, 2017, 05:26:26 AM
I still don't get it why I bought a Rebar (will arrive in 1-2 months) even though I already have a Wingman and a Charge TTi (medium MTs). My mind said a Surge or a Juice S2 was a logical choice, but I kept gravitating back to a Rebar. Even now I keep looking at various Rebar pics.

I honestly don't know the appeal.

Its no nonsense design? Maybe. Someone said its the essential Working Man's tool  :think:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:27:31 AM by an0nemus »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #1438 on: October 17, 2017, 05:35:23 AM
I still don't get it why I bought a Rebar (will arrive in 1-2 months) even though I already have a Wingman and a Charge TTi (medium MTs). My mind said a Surge or a Juice S2 was a logical choice, but I kept gravitating back to a Rebar. Even now I keep looking at various Rebar pics.

Its no nonsense design? Maybe. Someone said its the essential Working Man's tool  :think:
Wouldn't necessarily be an argument where you live but in countries which allow locking blades but not OHO the Rebar might have an appeal...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #1439 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:45 AM

Wouldn't necessarily be an argument where you live but in countries which allow locking blades but not OHO the Rebar might have an appeal...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Technically its illegal to carry any sharp objective in our country if its not related to livelihoods or in pursuit of legal activities. But its an old law not really being enforced. So legally speaking its prohibited to carry 99% of LMs. This is why the Knifeless Rebar has extra appeal for me also, just in case our laws are strictly enforced  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%