Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)

Hammer · 3049 · 229401

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)
Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:13 PM
I finally placed my order.   :mail:  I love the 300 but it's too heavy for an edc multi and I think the Rebar should be just about right. Who needs scissors anyway?   :D

:twak:    :D

I would have liked scissors.

There are other options.  Posters here asked for an awl for years.  They got it.

We did ask an awlful lot for an awl :D Do u think awl the awlful puns helped :think: :rofl:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:02 AM
I finally placed my order.   :mail:  I love the 300 but it's too heavy for an edc multi and I think the Rebar should be just about right. Who needs scissors anyway?   :D

:twak:    :D

There are other options.  Posters here asked for an awl for years.  They got it.

We did ask an awlful lot for an awl :D Do u think awl the awlful puns helped :think: :rofl:

Yes, indeed. You`awls may diagree but but I`m sure it helped an awlful lot.    :D    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 03:51:10 AM

Every Leatherman needs two buddies: a flashlight and a Victorinox! Menage a tool, for all your fixing needs.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:40 PM
I'm in!
The Rebar arrived today, and I'm very happy with it.

th Offline naresLM

Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 05:10:11 PM
My Rebar arrived today. After an hour of admiring the tool, I swapped the plier head with my Charge Ti. I satisfied with the outcome, although it was not perfect.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #65 on: July 28, 2012, 07:03:23 PM
My Rebar arrived today. After an hour of admiring the tool, I swapped the plier head with my Charge Ti. I satisfied with the outcome, although it was not perfect.
Any pics..? :pok:

th Offline naresLM

Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 05:24:54 PM
I am trying to attach picture to this post on my iPad without success. Will try again on my notebook tomorrow.

th Offline naresLM

Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 05:39:26 AM
Here,the pics. I followed the same process as Metropolicity explained in his thread. But, I didn't go into the process of grinding off the scissors. As you can see that the handles cannot completely closed but I can live with it.
IMG_1794_small.jpg
* IMG_1794_small.jpg (Filesize: 136.52 KB)
IMG_1795_small.jpg
* IMG_1795_small.jpg (Filesize: 91.23 KB)
IMG_1796_small.jpg
* IMG_1796_small.jpg (Filesize: 85.21 KB)

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 06:00:18 AM
Nicely done sir, I was about to go buy another SS rebar to make a similar tool, but replace the saw with the scissors that I successfully transplanted from the Gerber Flik to the Wave.

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

th Offline naresLM

Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 06:52:10 AM
Thank you Metro. I always follow your mod and you are the great master.

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #70 on: September 03, 2012, 06:18:25 AM
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:20:40 AM by Hammer »
NRA Member
No Regrets!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:01 PM
I'm in btw..  :D

us Offline David

Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:12 PM
Hold Fast

no Offline Grathr

Reply #73 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:35 PM
just got my BO Rebar in the mail  :mail:
Its one nice tool,and my first BO one. I was quite surprised that its dimensions is almost identical to my old PST2 except for the widt. Perfect MT size!
if only it had a snug little leather sheath like my PST2. The Molle sheath that came with it was a bit big for such a small tool. The Rebar fits nicely in it, but its exterior is a bit to big.
Is the Rebar leather sheath any better?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #74 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:51 AM
Just got today I'm in.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
uploadfromtaptalk1347070810735.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1347070810735.jpg (Filesize: 65.67 KB)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: September 08, 2012, 02:13:17 PM

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #76 on: September 08, 2012, 02:52:35 PM
I'm now officially in the club; I'd originally picked up a Rebar to do my own Wave mod, but it turns out I like the Rebar way too much, and the Wave very little. :think:

I've been carrying my Rebar in lieu of my Spirit X (mainly because I traded it to Steve) and my only complaint is I miss my Spirit's bottle opener/pry bar; I wouldn't trust using the Rebar's screwdrivers as a light pry bar - the tools are too small to trust in that fashion.

us Offline David

Reply #77 on: September 09, 2012, 05:25:53 AM
I'm now officially in the club; I'd originally picked up a Rebar to do my own Wave mod, but it turns out I like the Rebar way too much, and the Wave very little. :think:

I've been carrying my Rebar in lieu of my Spirit X (mainly because I traded it to Steve) and my only complaint is I miss my Spirit's bottle opener/pry bar; I wouldn't trust using the Rebar's screwdrivers as a light pry bar - the tools are too small to trust in that fashion.

I use the large screwdriver as a pry bar quite often.   :)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #78 on: September 09, 2012, 05:27:05 AM
Hold Fast

us Offline Mikelarry777

Reply #79 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:40 AM
In the club! :D. Just picked up a rebar the other day as a backup to the wave i've EDC'd for the last 4 years.  I own a powerlock, a fuse, a kick, a blast, a charge al, a surge and numerous victorinox SAK's but none could take the place of my trusty wave... Until now of course.  I don't know what it is but this thing is a joy to carry / use.  I love it and now all I need is the rebat and my SOG twitch II and i'm good

Offline coastalchris

Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:01 AM
Has anyone replaced the wire cutters on the Rebar yet? 

I mainly want this tool for the replaceable wirecutters.(ST300, too big for me)  I wouldnt baby it as much or be afraid of damage.  Just wondering what everyone experience is with them.

Do they work as well as the wire cutters on a wave?  Better?  easy to change?  How much are replacements?

us Offline baja820

Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 03:36:13 AM
Mine was decapitated.

God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #82 on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:26 PM
I got a Rebar during the summer and have used it a lot. Its my favourite multitool at the moment. It replaced my wingman in my go fix in the cabin/bike/anything micro toolpouch.
pouch.jpg
* pouch.jpg (Filesize: 170 KB)

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #83 on: December 03, 2012, 03:41:42 AM
I want a BO rebar for Christmas, but unfortunately I will be unable to do so ;(. Doctor appts, kids, a week off with no pay has set me in a hole :(.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Offline steveje

Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 01:36:29 AM
I recieved a new in the box Rebar from Tosh, I've been edc'ing it for about a month or so and havent looked back, its been great, it's like a heaier duty pst.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #85 on: December 22, 2012, 08:21:57 AM
Hey all,
I've just joined the site and have just finished commenting on the Spirit owners club and Charge owners club forums, so I figured I may as well join this one as well to round out my three favorite multitools and be a member of each owners' club :D

I do enjoy the Rebar quite a bit with it's sleekness and light weight, while still managing to pack in quite a wallop of tools.  One thing it has that my other faves do not is the ruler on the outside, which has come in handy more than one may think for quick measurements of smaller items.  The only think it's missing is scissors, but I've found that the wire cutters can do most scissor jobs that I find, with the exception of cutting paper or trimming any stray whiskers or nosehairs :)  I also pair it with my Victorinox Compact SAK, so scissors aren't an issue anyway.

The only other thing it was missing was a mini eyeglass screwdriver, however I remedied that by filing down the small flathead.  I hadn't been finding any real use for it, so I figured I may as well see if I could file it down to that size, and I was able to do so.  Yes, the Compact SAK does have this as well, but now if I happen to only be equipped with my Rebar, I will have an eyeglass screwdriver available (I don't wear glasses, but my wife does, and I do wear sunglasses, so it could come in handy).   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:23:30 AM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:20 AM
A late comer into the fray...

Visited a local sporting goods shop (that used to have a serious mark-up on items) and found this Rebar staring up at me - and at $48. Grabbed it. The gal let me look it over and I swapped it for the one on display cause the rivets looked they were stamped better.

Found a CRKT Eat N' Tool so grabbed one of them just cause it was there. Just under $5.

Was actually looking for a walking stick, which I did find at another store. Strange how I find things I want when going shopping for others:shrug:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #87 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:59 AM
Well, i got a few Sears gift card for Christmas, and saw the Rebar while browsing today.

First impressions are so so, but keep in mind this is coming from someone who is a die-hard Vic fan.

I typically have not gotten along well with Leatherman tools primarily because all of the tools are nail-breakers to open.  I have experienced this on Waves, Blasts, Kicks, Fuses, Charges, etc.  I was kind of expecting this on the Rebar, but was somewhat surprised.  The clumping is still there, but out of the box, I can get all tools open with minimal effort.

I really appreciate some of the subtle design choices that make it apparent that LM is applying what they've learned the last several decades making multis.  For instance, I like the rounded edges when using the pliers, the replaceable cutters, the oversize nail nicks for the blades, the little bump on the back of the 2 blades tang that helps them close.  I like the slim size compared with the blast as well as the slightly shorter size when compared with the spirit.

When I compare it to my multi standard, the Spirit, it does better than any LM I've yet tried.  It still, however, doesn't feel as though it is playing in the same league.  The clumping, the sharp edges near the pliers where the edges aren't rolled, the very thin blade stock, the lack of scissors. I was also disappointed that the file used on the Wave wasn't used on the Rebar.  ONe thing I think the spirit could use is a better file.  Unfortunately, the rebar's file is IMO equal to, or a little inferior to the spirit.

I personally think, for my multi uses, this LM is the closest they've yet come.  I'm just debating on keeping it, wondering if it'll see any use over the spirit.

None of this is meant to bash, just an admittedly biased comparison.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:39:46 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #88 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:16 AM
the lack of scissors. I was also disappointed that the file used on the Wave wasn't used on the Rebar.  ONe thing I think the spirit could use is a better file.  Unfortunately, the rebar's file is IMO equal to, or a little inferior to the spirit.

I love my Rebar, but I agree with these two points.  I pair it with a SAK that has scissors, so that's covered.  I do wish it had the diamond coated file like the Charge and Wave does, and I feel the same about the Spirit as well (I also own one of these and love it too).
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #89 on: December 29, 2012, 10:48:14 AM
Not sure why Leatherman doesn't make scissors that fit into the large bit driver. They could probably sell it for $3.50 easy. And it could fit into the Removable Bit Driver for square phillips headed tools. That would cover the Rebar, Juice and other multitools and give everyone that odd accessory that they'd have to purchase.

The non-diamond dusted file just about made me not purchase the Rebar. Not sure why Leatherman wanted to bypass a diamond-dust coated file, as the Rebar could have cornered the market with that one implement.

The pliers handle rivets looked a bit cheesier. The one I looked at ended getting swapped for the demo cause of one rivet looking half-stamped. Don't want to be sending a new tool back in for repair due to poor riveting.

Am happier with the redesigned awl with threadloop. The hole is a tad thinner, yet is elongated, so should be better for sewing & field stitching. With many carrying items with survival parachute cord it looks like field threading shouldn't be a problem. ~ I bought a walking stick and put paracord on the handle and mid-section for possible survival needs.
Now if Leatherman would only get such an awl over to a Charge series in the next decade...  :twak:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:50:00 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%