Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)

Hammer · 3049 · 231661

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)
Reply #90 on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:32 PM
One question, is it normal for the rebar tools to have up and down play when deployed and locked?  The ones on the philips side of the tool have play, with the philips driver having the most play.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline baja820

Reply #91 on: December 29, 2012, 11:21:40 PM
Yeah mine has slight play in the lockup. So does my surge though my wave is a tight fit and has no play in the tool lockup.
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #92 on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:10 AM
The non-diamond dusted file just about made me not purchase the Rebar. Not sure why Leatherman wanted to bypass a diamond-dust coated file, as the Rebar could have cornered the market with that one implement.

Now if Leatherman would only get such an awl over to a Charge series in the next decade...  :twak:

Yeah I don't understand why the company would choose not to use the diamond dusted file as it's very useful. 
I actually filed down the large fixed flathead on my Charge TTi to a makeshift awl.  It's not the best, but it's better than having the flathead when I have one on the bit driver already. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline stang87

Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:06 PM
Soon to be owner.  I just came across this on amazon and pulled the trigger. Any idea what the description means when it says "Peg"? Is it talking about the sheath?

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831553-Multi-tool-Rebar-Molle/dp/B007NPJOT8/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1360524533&sr=1-4&keywords=Leatherman+rebar

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:21 PM
Soon to be owner.  I just came across this on amazon and pulled the trigger. Any idea what the description means when it says "Peg"? Is it talking about the sheath?

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831553-Multi-tool-Rebar-Molle/dp/B007NPJOT8/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1360524533&sr=1-4&keywords=Leatherman+rebar

Enjoy your Rebar, it's one of my favorites :tu:  Sorry, I don't know what PEG means though :shrug:
K-Tibbs

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:09 PM
That is what love about leatherman. $38 for a BO rebar shipped! Try together a spirit for that price.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 10:00:31 PM
That is what love about leatherman. $38 for a BO rebar shipped! Try together a spirit for that price.

Can you find a Leatherman Charge for that price ?

Apples and oranges ...  ;)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 10:11:59 PM

That is true. The quality of my rebar is much better than that of my spirits.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #98 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12:26 PM
Could only wish we'd had them at those prices at this side of the pond  :facepalm: they go for more than $100 here  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #99 on: February 10, 2013, 10:44:07 PM

That is true. The quality of my rebar is much better than that of my spirits.

You've been conned, someone sold you cheap Spirit knock-offs  ;).

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 01:24:31 AM
 :whistle:   :D

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:50 PM

Enjoy your Rebar, it's one of my favorites :tu:  Sorry, I don't know what PEG means though :shrug:

I bought that same item from Amazon (from the same vendor .... Electronica Direct, fulfilled by Amazon). You'll get a blister pack Rebar with a MOLLE sheath. Don't know what "PEG" means, but you'll get a blister pack black oxide Rebar with a MOLLE sheath. This is an awesome deal.

By the way, I'm in love with the Rebar. After buying a ST300, I was hesitant to buy a Rebar. It just seemed too redundant. But I love the smaller size. I own a baker's dozen or so Leatherman tools now, but the Rebar may be my favorite of the bunch.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:24 PM

I bought that same item from Amazon (from the same vendor .... Electronica Direct, fulfilled by Amazon). You'll get a blister pack Rebar with a MOLLE sheath. Don't know what "PEG" means, but you'll get a blister pack black oxide Rebar with a MOLLE sheath. This is an awesome deal.

By the way, I'm in love with the Rebar. After buying a ST300, I was hesitant to buy a Rebar. It just seemed too redundant. But I love the smaller size. I own a baker's dozen or so Leatherman tools now, but the Rebar may be my favorite of the bunch.

It is very much a smaller ST300, but it's not redundant if you don't own a ST300.  It's got that slim, classic look to it and is pocketable.  If you do have the ST300 (like you do) then it's a more portable version ;)  It is definitely one of my faves though, and it's been my most carried Leatherman the past few months :tu:
K-Tibbs

Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:37 PM
Yup. The ST300 is great. I'll still don it on the days when I'm feeling the itch to get my hardcore multi-tool totin' on. But the Rebar does all of the same stuff and is a more practical daily carry AND still makes me feel like I'm a multi-tool ninja, what with the beefy construction and black oxide. Lawdy! I get the vapours just thinking how cool it is.

Don't tell anybody, but some days I feel merely mortal and choose to carry a Juice CS4 or even .... you're not recording this are you? .... just a SAK in my pocket. But when I'm feeling the need for something heavier duty, the Rebar really is my current favorite.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
Yup. The ST300 is great. I'll still don it on the days when I'm feeling the itch to get my hardcore multi-tool totin' on. But the Rebar does all of the same stuff and is a more practical daily carry AND still makes me feel like I'm a multi-tool ninja, what with the beefy construction and black oxide. Lawdy! I get the vapours just thinking how cool it is.

Don't tell anybody, but some days I feel merely mortal and choose to carry a Juice CS4 or even .... you're not recording this are you? .... just a SAK in my pocket. But when I'm feeling the need for something heavier duty, the Rebar really is my current favorite.

I'm a pocket carrier myself, and actually carry full sized multitools in my back pocket next to my wallet.  I don't have any of the heavy duty (4.5") Leathermans though.  Yeah, the black oxide definitely adds ninja points :tu: 

:rofl:  I'm not recording, but I can't speak for all of us here :D  If it wasn't for my worry that I may need pliers and locking tools, most days a SAK would be sufficient for my needs.  The Juice S2 is an almost perfect balance since it has pliers.  I just like having a two or three of my "toys" on me to play with >:D
K-Tibbs

Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:49 PM
By the way, I believe "peg" means it's a blister pack version (that hangs on a retail fixture peg). That particular Amazon listing seems to include some retail procurement system boilerplate lingo.

"Rebar Black Molle Black Leather PegManufacture ID: 831553"

I'm in the minority that prefers the PST type design of internal tools only (carries sleeker and cleaner when closed) and lack of scissors (I keep a Style CS on my keychain). So the Rebar is just perfect for me.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:23 PM
By the way, I believe "peg" means it's a blister pack version (that hangs on a retail fixture peg). That particular Amazon listing seems to include some retail procurement system boilerplate lingo.

"Rebar Black Molle Black Leather PegManufacture ID: 831553"

I'm in the minority that prefers the PST type design of internal tools only (carries sleeker and cleaner when closed) and lack of scissors (I keep a Style CS on my keychain). So the Rebar is just perfect for me.

Well include me in the club then buddy :cheers:  I love the PST (I recently bought a NIB PST II and love it :tu:) and the internal design for the same reasons, the sleeker, smoother appearance and pocketable package.  I like the idea of the tools safely tucked inside and protected by the handles. 

Don't get me wrong, I also have a couple Charges, but find myself carrying them less since I fell in love with my Rebar.  I also like the design of the Swisstool Spirit and it's another of my faves, but it almost feels and looks too nice to really use too heavily. 

I do need scissors though, but that's one of my excuses to carry a SAK to compliment the multitool :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 10:00:19 PM
  Am thinking I must be losing it. Finding myself wanting to shelf the Charge TTi in favor of the Rebar, but I like them comfortable titanium scales, S30V steel blade, and the diamond grit file. Everything else is on the Rebar. Know what I should do...  >:D   :D   :angel:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #108 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:16 PM
  Am thinking I must be losing it. Finding myself wanting to shelf the Charge TTi in favor of the Rebar, but I like them comfortable titanium scales, S30V steel blade, and the diamond grit file. Everything else is on the Rebar. Know what I should do...  >:D   :D   :angel:

I know what you mean.  I was heavily in favor of the Charge setup until I gave the Rebar a shot a few months ago.  I do like OHO knife blades, as well as the overall look of the knives and the Charge itself.  I also like the diamond file, and reeeaaallllly wish that the Rebar (and Spirit as well) would use that type of file.  Diamond side is so useful and nice to have.  However, I don't use it enough to make me put the Rebar away :D 

It's a tough call, but the lighter weight, sleekness, balance of weight and functions and overall pocketability of the whole package make the Rebar a winner for me :tu:  I still love my Charges (AL and TTi) and carry one of them whenever we go out on the weekend or something like that, but during the workweek (I work at a bank), I prefer the Rebar (or Spirit).  They are also less threatening in appearance than the Charge to some people. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline stang87

Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:53 PM
FYI, the Rebar BO went down to 35.99...should have waited...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NPJOT8/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 05:58:06 AM
FYI, the Rebar BO went down to 35.99...should have waited...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NPJOT8/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

It bounces around, like daily. I bought mine at $34.99.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #111 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:05 AM
I'll be joining once I get mine from the January Donation Draw :D
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline stang87

Reply #112 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:37 PM
Received my BO Rebar yesterday!  It is my only LM MT that has all the tools "inside"....and I kind of like it.  I still like the easier access to blades on my other MTs, but the Rebar style is fine by me as well.  It is about the same size as my BO Wave, and was half the price with same sheath.

I am a new to the differences in the tools, but what are the advantages of the type of pliers on the Rebar and Super Tool?  Replaceable and stronger than others?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #113 on: February 15, 2013, 06:24:42 PM
Received my BO Rebar yesterday!  It is my only LM MT that has all the tools "inside"....and I kind of like it.  I still like the easier access to blades on my other MTs, but the Rebar style is fine by me as well.  It is about the same size as my BO Wave, and was half the price with same sheath.

I am a new to the differences in the tools, but what are the advantages of the type of pliers on the Rebar and Super Tool?  Replaceable and stronger than others?

Cool, I'm glad you like it so far :cheers:  I feel the same way, I like the convenience of OHO blades on my Charge, but I don't usually need that feature.  I like the slim, sleek package of the Rebar. 

As for the pliers, I can't speak on the strength from hands-on experience as I haven't put either the Rebar or Charge pliers to any serious, heavy use.  It is my understanding that they're basically supposed to be the same strength, with the only real advantage of the Rebar's being the replaceable cutters.  Enjoy your new toy :tu: :D
K-Tibbs

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: February 16, 2013, 03:29:17 PM
Just got my Rebar in :) was planning on taking it apart to swap the pliers into my Charge... Am doubting about that, now, though... I like it :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline baja820

Reply #115 on: February 16, 2013, 05:00:39 PM
I really liked the pst1 but I'm not a big fan of the rebar.. ..I don't really know why.

I like the pliers head on my wave much better.
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

us Offline Splat

Reply #116 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Is the Rebar an updated Core? From when I had my Core the Rebar looks a lot like it. It would be perfect if the knife was outside-opening. Yet, a beautiful piece of tooling.
Splat

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: February 16, 2013, 05:43:13 PM
Is the Rebar an updated Core? From when I had my Core the Rebar looks a lot like it. It would be perfect if the knife was outside-opening. Yet, a beautiful piece of tooling.

Well, indirectly, maybe... I think the SuperTool 300 was an updated Core, this is the 'little brother' of the ST300. ;)

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #118 on: February 16, 2013, 06:24:53 PM
I'm in! Got my Rebar for Christmas and have carried it as an EDC ever since. Very nice tool indeed!
NRA Life member

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 01:01:24 AM
I was at Target tonight and taken completely by surprise by a single remaining REBAR on the shelf just calling my name.  It looked better and more compact in person than I'd imagined from the online photos I've seen.  So I bought it, and have been fiddling with it ever since.

At first impression, it kinda reminds me of the PST, given its size and tool selection.  I'm not so convinced how the chisel ground serrated blade will fair but the plain edge blade seems to be setup pretty well. 

I did find that the tools on the side of the Philips were a little difficult to maneuver where it takes some effort to extend the tools.  I wonder if some oil will help this difficulty.

Overall, I'm quite pleased and feel I got my money's worth, but only time will tell how it holds up to every day use  :salute:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD