Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Building a survival kit

Viper · 31 · 5104

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Building a survival kit
on: February 11, 2008, 02:04:54 AM
As the title states, I am creating my own survival kit for hiking, camping, hunting, etc. It is pretty much mandatory to have a knife in such a kit, but I am stumped as to which knife to put in. It has to be lightweight, compact (while still being large enough to use), with good edge retention. The blade also should be a useful style (so most clip-points are out, among others). Locking blades are reccomended. Also, it would be preferable if it had a lanyard ring. Another factor, which isn't quite as important is cost.

I've narrowed it down a bit to four knives. All four are, coincidentially, CRKT-

-KISS
-PECK
-KISS Two-timer
-Edgie

They all have their pros and cons, I'll edit this with those later, I must go.
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Building a survival kit
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:11:33 AM
why not a mora? they do the job, are comfortable, and so inexpensive.
you lose it, break it, forget about it and it's no big deal.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:20:31 AM
I second that! Those CRKT knives you mentioned have really small blades!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:23:44 AM
A good read for anyone interested in building a PSK:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:47:21 AM
Rude Version-  :-\
Mora knives have an apparent lack of foldability, which inhibits them being put into a case approximately thirteen centimeters long.

Nice version-
Sorry but I need folding knives. I don't think Mora makes folders, I checked.

And thank you for the link, Def. I have seen it before, but I had forgotten about it!

Pros and Cons:

KISS:
P-
Lanyard ring
Compact
Large blade compared to size of the knife itself
Large enough handle
C-
Tanto blade not especially useful in a survival situation
Handle may get a bit slippery, due to smooth, tapered design

PECK
P-
Blade more adept to survival situation than KISS
C-
Much smaller, hindering grip and blade size

KISS Two-Timer-
P-
Has both blades from the KISS and PECK
Large handle
C-
Considerable thicker than the two former knives
Weight is almost doubled
The most expensive (the others are all between ten and twenty dollars from American retailers, this one is almost forty)

Edgie-
P-
Largest blade of all four options
Self-sharpening allows me to leave out a sharpening stone
C-
Much larger than the former options
No lanyard ring
No lock

By the way, the purpose of this thread was to find the best knife for the purpose that I need. And I am 100% open to suggestions, however, they have to fit inside the case I have.

By the way, the only one of these knives that I have experience with is the KISS, so if anyone has any experience with the others, I would like to know your opinions.
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:36 AM
If I were looking for a single blade lockback knife for a survival bag I'd probably get a Spyderco Military. If I couldn't afford that and needed something cheap I'd probably get a Buck 110. They're not the fanciest knife out there but they are solid knives that will take abuse.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:00 AM
Buck also makes some nice inexpensive folders... Check out the Omni hunter line...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:00:26 AM
What do you plan to use the knife for?, it you need it for splitting wood or shelter construction, very few folders have lock's that would stand up to the sort of abuse that a survival situation would place on them (ie battoning wood).

Personelly I'd go with a Vic, or Wenger Sak with a saw blade, as it would be far more useful in a survival situation :)

But if your hearts set on a folder, then any of the larger spydie's are a safe bet, especially the Manix and the Military models :)

A Buck 110 would be a safe bet too.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:32 AM
OHTs seem popular.

Ibbersons make nice lockbacks, utterly no-frills.

Why not a Vic Soldat? If it's good enough for the Military it should be good enough for you, locking or non. (Same rule applies to the OHT)

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 02:51:27 PM
I don't have a folder in my PSK, I just don't trust them in a survival situation.  I have a Bark River PSK. 

Here's a review:  http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/785310/

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:04 PM
I stash Victorinox Lumberjacks in my PSKs.  They don't lock but they're built on the 84mm frame, and thus are a very compact solution with a good set of tools.  As with all SAKs, they're also very easy to sharpen.

The one pictured here doesn't have toothpick and tweezers, but most do, and would be a better choice for a PSK.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:29:18 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:48:39 PM
Though I love my stayglow SAKs, if you're not into them, how about this little beauty???
http://www.leatherman.com/products/knives/h502-h503/default.asp
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:33 PM
I believe the original poster is looking for something small enough to fit into an altoids sized tin.

Spyderco makes a tiny knife called a LadyBug. 111mm in length closed and uses VG-10 steel which I really like.

Benchmade has the Benchmite which is about 73mm closed in length and uses a china equivalent of 440C which is OK. If you can find an older USA made one in 154CM it will be alot nicer.

Either of these makes a great little emergency knife to keep in a PSK.

As far as your CRKT choices I can't comment as I've never used any of them. I'm not really a fan of their products.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:00:41 AM
I don't think you guys are understanding what this knife is for. It is going into a small, plastic, waterproof case and will be carried everywhere when hunting, hiking, camping, etc. It is a last ditch kit, and anything in it has to be extremely small and light. The Buck 110 is out of the question, as are most of Buck's other knives. The only Victorinox knives that lock would be much to large. I will, however, look into some of the Wenger Evo models as some evidently lock.

The contents of this kit are only going to be used when everything else has been lost. I have no idea what it will be used for. With luck, I will never have to use it.

Pretty much anything thicker than a Soldier is too big, which is why the Edgie is only hanging on by a thread.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 12:08:19 AM
I don't think you guys are understanding what this knife is for. It is going into a small, plastic, waterproof case and will be carried everywhere when hunting, hiking, camping, etc.

Have you considered a Cold Steel Bowie knife? :D 

Sorry, couldn't help it! :P   :twak:

Seriously, I would consider some of Wenger's line with the PackLock feature.  At 85mm they are almost the same size as Victorinox's smaller models like the Waiter and Lumberjack.  There are also more options in Wenger's 85mm series than there is Victorinox's 84mm lineup.

Another option would be to consider some of the smaller keychain type models, like the Victorinox MiniChamp or Wenger's Pocket Tool Chest as these would give you more options and you could bring two knives in the space of one, allowing you to keep one for clean jobs like food prep and one for dirty jobs.

If anyone concerns themselves about the usefulness of such small blades, I'd like to point out that a SOSAK member field dressed a deer with a Victorinox Classic, so in a survival situation the only thing you wouldn't be able to do with it is cut away brush like a machete or chop wood.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 06:29:30 AM
Don't give up on Buck yet... they have some excellent smaller sized folders.  The 503 is a personal favorite of mine...

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/204/237

There are also some small "China" made Bucks that might fit what your looking for...

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/511/237
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:36:30 AM
 A pair of SAKs the size you're looking for,and that I'm fond of are the Executive,and the Alox Bantam.
I

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:37:57 PM
I would go for the Gerber Mini Paraframe! Cheap and works well!
B

us Offline Splat

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:05 AM
I don't think you guys are understanding what this knife is for. It is going into a small, plastic, waterproof case and will be carried everywhere when hunting, hiking, camping, etc. It is a last ditch kit, and anything in it has to be extremely small

What's the dimensions of the case?
Splat

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:31 AM
For the PSk I would go with a Tops Hoffman Harpoon or possibly the ALRT.  They are incredibly useful compact blades that can be used in mny different ways.

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:49 PM
Here's what I'm saying about Saks, all the sub 93mm alox's will fit inside a tabacco tin

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 01:36:45 AM
Nice picture.  I dod not know that you had a stay-glow climber as well.  I just got mine a few weeks ago. 

Offline Speaker

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:30 AM
...The contents of this kit are only going to be used when everything else has been lost...
What makes you think that when you lose everything else, you will still have your survival kit?

IMHO, this idea of packing everything in a box comes from the big emergency kits you can find on a ship, in a airplane, a car, etc. It is meant for people who don't (are not allowed to) carry anything on them - whether they don't think of surviving or they are profibited to carry any sharp stuff (like on planes).
And these emergency kit boxes ususlly have enough room to accommodate a normal knife.

On the other hand, we all carry at least one knife and/or a multitool on us. Some carry more stuff. Why try to pack everything in a tiny little box when you already have some of the stuff in your pockets / on your belt?

I have no idea what it will be used for. With luck, I will never have to use it...
That's the problem. You are trying to select a knife not on the basis of expected needs! You just want something that will nicely fit into your PSK box.

Bottom line:
1) If you loose everything, you will most likely loose your PSK.
2) If you are more or less in one piece and have your pants/jacket on you, then you have your EDC tool/knife.
In both cases your tiny little knife in your PSK added unnecessary weight and occupied space that could have been used for something more useful.

Just my thoughts...

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 10:55:35 AM
Nice picture.  I dod not know that you had a stay-glow climber as well.  I just got mine a few weeks ago. 
There just stayglow scales I stuck to my trusty climber mate :), there a great bit of kit :)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 05:22:09 AM
alright, I wrote an entire story to give you an idea on why this kit would be useful, then my internet shut down. I might try to re-post it later.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55:50 PM
I kinda stayed out of this one to see the respoces that people have written in. We carry the Doug Ritter PSK on us at all times. It is kept in out front pocket with the med kit in the other.

As for blades in the kits. We do not have them in it. Just the scapel blade. This is done because I and the other instructors allways have a blade in the pocket or on the belt. Because I live in New England, I usually dont even carry anything larger than the farmer due to allways having a Hawk on my shoulder instead.

The blade however that would fit the bill nicely is the Cheepo Vic Sportsman II. It is a smaller vic that has a good selection of blades and it cost all of 6 bucks at the Big Lots store.

If you are building the PSK my sug is just get the Ritter. Great gear in the thing for very short cash, and it is not bulky in the least. Which means you will carry it. I dont especially like the tins. Very uncomfortable to keep on the person.
S

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 09:12:31 PM
What I'm trying to create is supposed to end up similar to a mixture of these two:

http://prosurvivalkit.com/index.html

The Pocket and Master.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 09:20:22 PM
Well remember I cant be both. Just like in life ya cant be a little bit pregnant. A pocket kit should be as light and portable as can be. It is designed to be comfortable to carry secured on just your body. They are to be used only if you are seperated from your gear. That is where redundancy comes in . one larger kit worn on your back, and one in the pocket. The one on the back has to be the larger one, and the one in the pocket never gets touched unless it is an emergency. That means If you start a fire you use your matchcase or you use your lighter.That way it is allways fresh.

Look into the ritter kits they are worth it.
S

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 12:04:56 AM
My goal is to have something kind of in the middle, more useful than the Pocket Pro, more carry-friendly than the Master. Picture it this way, the PP is 100USD, the MP is 300USD. If they had one like the one I am making, it would be around 200USD.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 12:58:04 AM
And the Doug ritter is 25$. Still a good place to start. I just got the ok from him and Backwoodsmans to do an article on it.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD