Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pleasantly surprised and deeply dissapointed

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: pleasantly surprised and deeply dissapointed
Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:03 AM
I turned a page recently on the Wave, and I have to say that now that I've given it and it's charge brethren a chance, I am very pleasantly surprised at how much I like them.  I have my BO wave on me right now, and I have used the hell out of it since I got it.  I got the bit extender and bit kit, I have yet to run into anything I can't do with it. 

ca Offline bladelover227

Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 03:51:59 AM
Gerber clutch - The bottle opener/Flathead wouldn't open without another prying tool. Oil didn't help.
Leatherman squirt Ps4 - The file and blade had a substantial amount of play. i don't know if it's just mine or all of them are like that.

ca Offline angusW

Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:37 AM
Deeply Disappointed:
Leatherman Charge TTi. Fit and finish sucks. Maybe it was just mine but my Wave operates much better.

Supertool 300. I've read all of the positive reviews and the inside opening tools were really a pain to get out. Even after a deep clean and lube with Nano-Oil. Just seems like a very awkward tool. I used a SOG PowerLock for about a year and a bit before I got the 300 and even with the flaps it doesn't feel that awkward. Also, I knew it didn't have it before I bought it, but why doesn't Leatherman put the diamond files on more of their MT's?

Pleasantly Surprised:
BO Leatherman Surge with cap crimper. Really like this one a lot. Has the diamond file :)  After opening/closing it a few dozen times and then clean and lube, it operates very nice. Has most the tools I need and if I need a longer reach for a Philips or whatnot then I've got a Victorinox ratchet to play with.

Victorinox Spirit. I thought you Vic guys were snobs but how wrong I was. This tool is very well made. In fact, about a month after I bought my first Spirit I bought another one.

Gerber Dime. Lots of functionality in this little guy. Only for light use. It's not going to cut 6 AWG solid copper wire but it has it's place in my edc.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: July 15, 2012, 03:03:14 PM
well i have to say im very pleasantly surprised with both the ppp and my new powerlock, im a sog fan these days as love being able to change the tools to suit, as for the powerlock its a really robust tool ,very good pliers,good choice of tools, the handle covers are a bit fiddly tool wise but i think worth it for the extra comfort in the hand,ive no complaint tool wise but not a huge lover of there scissors so i might add my own,the gear guards are also a good idea comfort wise, the locks work well with all tools other than on my scissors but seem to be getting better with use, ive not used the 1/4 bit adapter yet but looks useable, all in all a very solid MT, as for the ppp its my daily carry and the powerlock is my work MT  :tu:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:47 AM
I gotta say, I'm with Zed, and have been pleasantly surprised with my first SOG, a PPP. SOGs have a lot going for them. The compound leverage isn't a gimmick and I like being able to use it in reverse, i.e., stretch or separate things. Being able to swap and/or replace worn-out tools with minimal effort and expense is very liberating. I changed the combo blade for a plain edge and added a saw and flat head screwdriver to mine for around $20 and 2 or 3 minutes worth of work. The tools are reasonably well made. The blade profile on the plain edge is quite nice, no chisel ground nonsense but a well executed full height hollow grind. Definitely pleasantly surprised by that. The phillips driver is well formed and works well enough with the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver. The saw is excellent, the awl is pointy and robust. With a little bit of sharpening the can opener opens cans just fine now. The file could be better but is OK. I do wish the tools were locking but with the handles closed they can't completely collapse on your hand. While I'm not a big fan of needlenose pliers I do like the one flat-sided design of the head and I love the easy one-handed opening of the pliers. It weighs about as much as my LM KF4 and is reasonably comfortable to carry in a pocket. It has definitely gotten me to take another look at some of the other SOG offerings like the Powerlock and PowerAssist. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:17 AM
I gotta say, I'm with Zed, and have been pleasantly surprised with my first SOG, a PPP. SOGs have a lot going for them. The compound leverage isn't a gimmick and I like being able to use it in reverse, i.e., stretch or separate things. Being able to swap and/or replace worn-out tools with minimal effort and expense is very liberating. I changed the combo blade for a plain edge and added a saw and flat head screwdriver to mine for around $20 and 2 or 3 minutes worth of work. The tools are reasonably well made. The blade profile on the plain edge is quite nice, no chisel ground nonsense but a well executed full height hollow grind. Definitely pleasantly surprised by that. The phillips driver is well formed and works well enough with the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver. The saw is excellent, the awl is pointy and robust. With a little bit of sharpening the can opener opens cans just fine now. The file could be better but is OK. I do wish the tools were locking but with the handles closed they can't completely collapse on your hand. While I'm not a big fan of needlenose pliers I do like the one flat-sided design of the head and I love the easy one-handed opening of the pliers. It weighs about as much as my LM KF4 and is reasonably comfortable to carry in a pocket. It has definitely gotten me to take another look at some of the other SOG offerings like the Powerlock and PowerAssist. 

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:  out of interest does your file have sog stamped on it  :think: seems the newer non stamped files are not as good as there older file ,  :tu:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:11 PM
out of interest does your file have sog stamped on it  :think: seems the newer non stamped files are not as good as there older file

The file in my Paladin Powerplay PT-510 resembles the file in the photo.  It has a straight end and is unmarked.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:00 PM
out of interest does your file have sog stamped on it  :think: seems the newer non stamped files are not as good as there older file

The file in my Paladin Powerplay PT-510 resembles the file in the photo.  It has a straight end and is unmarked.

the one on my ppp is coarser and has a thicker flathead on the end plus says sog, the one on my newer powerlock is finer and the flathead isnt as thick, as ive been told its more than likely because the newer stuff is manufactured in china, i moved the old better file to my powerplay as more likely to need it on that and put the other on my ppp, all i need now is LM's diamond file, but will it fit  :think:   :D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:16 PM
No SOG stamped on the file I have, so I'm guessing it's the newer version. It works well enough but just isn't very aggressive.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:17 PM
No SOG stamped on the file I have, so I'm guessing it's the newer version. It works well enough but just isn't very aggressive.

the stamped one i have is more courser on both side's, the new one is very fine on the finer side almost smooth  :think:

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:22 PM
Don't like:

LM Supertool 300 - I think it's a build quality thing? Rattle from the locks, sideways flex in the handles when using anything but the pliers. Don't like the way the handles are pressed either, both handles are slightly different on mine. That said its tough and I don't care about it so it's kept in the car as a beater if required.

LM Micra - hate the way the scissor tips overlap on full compression. Again, for me it's poor build quality.

LM Juice XE6 - it has potential to be great but I just can't love it. Hate the blade shape, the scales on mine don't align properly and they are slightly different colours.

Like lots:

LM Blast - no complaints at all, love it. Great value, excellent tool selection, comfy to use, great build quality and a great size.

LM Squirt S4 - to me, it's everything the Micra isn't. Namely really well built and very cute!

And last but no means least....*drum roll*....

Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X. Simply brilliant, the best fit and finish in any tool I've ever owned, super stylish (IMO), excellent tool set, great size for EDC. I just love it. Also love it's full sized brother but this for me is more for keeping in your pack or car etc as its a tad on the heavy side. Usual excellent Victorinox fit and finish though.

I also really like all SAK's (less fond of 58mm), and really like their 111mm liner lock tools (and I'm a righty!).

To be fair. I haven't owned a SOG and have only fondled a Gerber Flik (didn't like that at all).

Atb, Jon.

Offline Biru

Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09:57 PM
For me my Bear Jaws have been the biggest disappointments. Every multitool I've owned has had a minor feature that I didn't care for, but my Bear Jaws have quality flaws. My Bear Jaws Sportsman (the non-locking BJ, not the current birding tool) is nearly perfect. Every tool works very well. My two locking versions have quality flaws like tools that don't lock firmly, knives that point slightly upward instead of in line with the handle, and those goofy tool lock tabs.

What's so frustrating is that the Bear has the opportunity to be a great tool.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:52 AM
Hmmm....Deeply disappointed?  Skeletool.  Didn't like the pliers, found them to be uncomfortable, especially with the bit digging into my hand.  >:(  The OHO blade and I just didn't get along, mostly because I'm a lefty, though I get along fine with other OHO tools like the Charge.  It was also just a bit too minimalist.  Pleasantly surprised?  That's easy.  Two Gerbers - the Octane and the Strata.  The Octane I've found to be much handier and comfortable than the Skeletool.  And the Strata is a great, solid tool.  I bought it expecting a dressed-up Suspension, and only got it because it was the last left at the store, with a nice discount.  Money well spent, I could use it everyday and not feel under-prepared.   :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 12:12:35 PM
I have another disappointment to add in the form of the saw on the Victorinox 108mm combo tool. Too thick, too short, too aggressive a toothform for the length and thickness, insufficient back taper, and pull stroke only compared to the push and pull of the other models  :-\ I haven't done a head-to-head yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the little saw on the 84mm line performs better.

Maybe it's because Victorinox were working to somebody elses specifications, but this is a very uninspiring and frustrating tool from the tests I've done so far

:td:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 04:57:48 PM
I have to add two to my list of pleasantly surprised.

Leatherman Juice C2---I've had other models and always looked down on the C2 because of it's lack of scissors, but seeing as how I hate the juice scissors anyhow I don't know why that was an issue.  My wife bought me one along with the next tool on this list and I love it.  It has everything I need for basic TOOL use, and I always carry at least two items so the other can have scissors.  The flatheads have bitten me a few times but they should loosen up over time.

Leatherman Style---I never thought much of this tool, to the point where I never bothered to get one.  To me it looks like someone took the handle off a complete tool and sold it as a separate product.  But after playing with mine for a bit, and using the scissors a lot, I really like how small it is and the amount of tools is perfect for a supplemental pocket tool.

us Offline toasterburn

Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:19 PM
Disappointed: Leatherman Squirt.

Happily Surprised: Victorinox Cadet on clearance for $5.

5% off any order for forum members, use promo code: multitool.org

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 07:45:24 PM

Where? :ahhh

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:39 AM
Disappointed with:

-Sog with the piano locks did not work right even after hours trying to fix it, gave it away.
-Charge with the bent scraping file issue, returned it.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 02:43:30 AM
Dissapointed:
SOG PPP. Most of the "default" tools I don't like of have use for. Not the tool's fault, I knew what I was buying but I need to customize it for it to be on my "like" list.

Leatherman Freestyle. I don't know, I just don't like the shape of the tool in my hand (when closed) and the semi-serrated blade of my version. Also, after much use, the pliers are somewhat loose, it's not something that affects its performance, it's more like an annoying feeling.

Pleasantly surprised:
Swisstool Spirit. I knew it would be good but I didn't know it would be that good!

Juice S2. Very slim and pocketable but it has most of the "important" tools. I don't like the shape of the blade, but it's just the looks, it is working fine.

Juice XE6. A bit fat but it's worth it! And I like the general shape / size of Juice(s).

Leatherman Skeletool CX. I love it! It has most of the "important" tools, I love it's size and shape, blade is great for the size.

Leatherman Charge TTi and Surge. They are just what I expected them to be, tough, strong and high quality. I don't really like the Leatherman bits but, I can live with them.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 11:52:59 AM
Dissapointed:
SOG PPP. Most of the "default" tools I don't like of have use for. Not the tool's fault, I knew what I was buying but I need to customize it for it to be on my "like" list.

Leatherman Freestyle. I don't know, I just don't like the shape of the tool in my hand (when closed) and the semi-serrated blade of my version. Also, after much use, the pliers are somewhat loose, it's not something that affects its performance, it's more like an annoying feeling.

Pleasantly surprised:
Swisstool Spirit. I knew it would be good but I didn't know it would be that good!

Juice S2. Very slim and pocketable but it has most of the "important" tools. I don't like the shape of the blade, but it's just the looks, it is working fine.

Juice XE6. A bit fat but it's worth it! And I like the general shape / size of Juice(s).

Leatherman Skeletool CX. I love it! It has most of the "important" tools, I love it's size and shape, blade is great for the size.

Leatherman Charge TTi and Surge. They are just what I expected them to be, tough, strong and high quality. I don't really like the Leatherman bits but, I can live with them.

I think half the fun of sog's MT's is the fiddling, ive tried a few setups but i cant find a good use for the V-cutter so i added the wood saw again, once i add the clip from Allan i will be a very handy MT for me,  :tu:

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 02:25:38 PM
Dissapointed:

Pleasantly surprised:

I think half the fun of sog's MT's is the fiddling, ive tried a few setups but i cant find a good use for the V-cutter so i added the wood saw again, once i add the clip from Allan i will be a very handy MT for me,  :tu:

I agree, playing with various tool setups must be fun. I think at some point I will buy all SOG's blade tools that I have a use for and play with my PPP (and PowerAssist). It's not that I don't like the tool as a tool, I very much like it, but SOG's bit holder and second pry tool (in addition to screwdriver/pry tool) are dead weight to me and I would definitely prefer a plain blade in place of the semi-serrated. But I am sure it would make it to the top of my list after I customize it the way I want.

By the way, I very much like the setup of your PPP :tu: , the only think I might change (but I think doesn't fit) is scissors in place of the saw or the reamer.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 05:14:00 PM
Dissapointed:

Pleasantly surprised:

I agree, playing with various tool setups must be fun. I think at some point I will buy all SOG's blade tools that I have a use for and play with my PPP (and PowerAssist). It's not that I don't like the tool as a tool, I very much like it, but SOG's bit holder and second pry tool (in addition to screwdriver/pry tool) are dead weight to me and I would definitely prefer a plain blade in place of the semi-serrated. But I am sure it would make it to the top of my list after I customize it the way I want.

By the way, I very much like the setup of your PPP :tu: , the only think I might change (but I think doesn't fit) is scissors in place of the saw or the reamer.

scissors would fit in place of the wood saw, my powerlock has scissors on it plus lots of other tools ,the ppp i combine with my micra,or classic on my keys so scissors covered,i mainly pocket carry a tinker so i like to have a wood saw handy on my main MT, as always a personal thing  :D   :tu:

us Offline toasterburn

Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 05:38:32 PM

Where? :ahhh

Last year at Target. Wish I had bought more of them when I had the chance, but I love mine.

5% off any order for forum members, use promo code: multitool.org

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:27 PM
Deeply disappointed with the worlds most useless implementation of a lanyard ring:

:(
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:14 PM
Deeply disappointed with the worlds most useless implementation of a lanyard ring:

:(
Goes for Kick, Juice ect.. too..

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #85 on: August 03, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
Goes for Kick, Juice ect.. too..

Yea, they used to grind out a thumb rest on the awl, which would let two pieces of paracord pass though (tightly), but not any more...

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: August 04, 2012, 01:55:45 PM
I wish I could say I was pleasantly surprised by my leatherman wave, but I can't.

I hard use it constantly throughout the day every day at work without ever sparing it a thought, and it has never failed me yet.

No surprise there at all.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:58:13 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #87 on: August 04, 2012, 06:35:47 PM
I wish I could say I was pleasantly surprised by my leatherman wave, but I can't.

I hard use it constantly throughout the day every day at work without ever sparing it a thought, and it has never failed me yet.

No surprise there at all.

The Wave is a powerhouse that's for sure.  I use mine everyday too, never thought I would like it but I can't take it off my belt.

Offline Biru

Reply #88 on: August 04, 2012, 07:55:50 PM
Agree on the Wave!  :tu:

Turnsouth, don't diss that lanyard ring until you see the ridiculous ring Bear puts on their tools. It's about as wide as TWO Leatherman flats.  :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%