Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How much play did your Spirit (or Swisstool, SAK, ..) develop?

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
I am assuming that boardies here use their Swiss MT with some care: a medium duty MT (Spirit) for medium duty tasks, and a heavy duty MT (Swisstool) for heavy duty tasks. In any case ive been wondering if your MT has developed noteworthy play over time of normal use (or abuse).

Afaik the deployed Spirit pliers have miiinimal play in the opened position: try to twist one handle and you should be able to feel "something". Even it's miiiiinimal, it's there, i am sure you could confirm this observation.

The Spirit saw has noticeable play, too. Deploy it and try to wiggle the saw blade, you'll see.

All other tools on the Spirit shouldnt have any play .. but after time of use or abuse i could imagine that they do develop "noteworthy" play.

How bad are the plays on your sample?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Most ( but not all ) Spirits and Swisstools have a very small amount of play in the pliers, this can get a little worse after long ( years ) of heavy use. Ive also noticed that while its common for Swisstools to have some play in the tools its not seen very often on the Spirit.To be honest its not worth worrying about because if it gets to the point where you are no longer happy with it then just return it under Warranty.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
if it gets to the point where you are no longer happy with it then just return it under Warranty.
Thanks, good point!!
i hope this works out then. ( I am wondering how many people ever made use of Vinox warranty services for the Spirit model.. )

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
if it gets to the point where you are no longer happy with it then just return it under Warranty.
Thanks, good point!!
i hope this works out then. ( I am wondering how many people ever made use of Vinox warranty services for the Spirit model.. )

I did once. Turnaround time was in the order of 3-4 weeks as repairs are (allegedly) handled centrally in Ibach. No problem there whatsoever. :tu:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
so they actually repair/fix your sent-in personal Spirit sample? Isnt it cheaper for them to just send out a new replacement copy off the production line? Vinox mass-produces by computer-controlled machines with an output of 35000 knives per day..

anyway good to know that they take care of abused :D Spirit's!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Well, to be honest I'm not sure whether they repair or replace tools returned under warranty. I do know though that the Greek rep didn't handle my warranty claim locally; instead, they sent the tool to Ibach and waited for the repaired/replacement. In any case, my experience with Vic's warranty dept has been flawless. :tu:

za Offline ?eter

The local agent for Vic here in South Africa told me that they can peen the pliers locally ot sort out play, but any other warranty repair goes back to Ibach. My ST doesn't have much play in the pliers so this isn't an issue yet.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
My experience is one to two weeks turn around here in the UK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%