Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Craftsman: Did Victorinox finally get it right?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
Of all the Victorinox models that we usually post about, there is one that always seems to be below the radar, which is the Craftsman. Personally the more I've been using it, I am coming to the conclusion that it far exceeds the Champion and possibly even the Swisschamp, since what is the chance you're going to require a fish scaler or a corkscrew for modern EDC. It also is a tad lighter with fewer layers than both versions.

I guess you could even say that Victorinox finally did get it right with the Craftsman with the selection of tools it encompasses. I do recall that even NASA issues out this model to all Astronauts before missions. Now that speaks volumes about the research and evaluation that must have been conducted before it was selected. 

So my question is, does anyone else EDC a Craftsman, and what are your thoughts about this dynamic tool?

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The Craftsman: Did Victorinox finally get it right?
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:35 PM
It is one of the best unknown saks :)

Never seem to have seen one in the flesh though :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:14 PM
I don't own a Craftsman, but it did ping my radar as probably the best combination of tools with nothing I didn't want. No fish scaler and no corkscrew, in particular, but to be honest, I don't need the magnifying glass either, and prefer the back layer philips to the one in the magnifying glass layer. Yes, I've been ruined by one bad experience.

It's 159g (5.6oz), which is okay. I'm not sure how it feels in-hand with 6 layers, but the Explorer I had felt fine at 4, and I assume 2 more wouldn't ruin it.

I have decided for my own needs that the magnifying glass would probably work better as a separate implement. 90% (approximately) of my plier use is of the kind that ANY size plier will work, so the pliers on a SAK should do me fine. I prefer the scissors on my Crosscut, but if I were looking for a single-tool solution, the 91mm scissors are fine... 80% as good as the Crosscuts, and just as good at most day-to-day tasks (cutting paper, trimming threads, etc.). I got to use the phillips on my Trekker the other day, and it worked fine. And I suspect it will for 80% of all my needs. That T handle configuration may be a problem in some cases, but then some of that's covered by the can opener (used as a 2d philips). I'm really surprised by the lack of models with full file on them.

Sadly, I just can't imagine the file matching up to the file on the Wave. That diamond file is awesome. But honestly, I don't have tons of need day-to-day for a file at all. It's nice to have though.

I'm still waiting to get a SAK with the wood chisel to try it out. I've heard good things.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:48 PM
I have a couple. I like them a lot. Here is an older one.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:43 PM
My Craftsman is one of my favourite SAKs. Shame they're not more common.
Prone to daydreaming.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:59 PM
On the Ranger, if Vinox replaced the cork screw with a phillips screwdriver we would get the Master Craftsman. Has an optimal set (5 layers i think!) of tools imho:

us Offline Grateful

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:11 AM
 I have always kind of wanted one . Just haven't let go of the cash yet . I probably will some day . I guess for me Victorinox really got it right with the Huntsman and Fieldmaster . That's probably why I haven't picked up a Craftsman yet . It's just a matter of time tho . I'm sick that way .  :gimme:
Jim

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:14 AM
there awesome it was the first SAK i bought i really like the tool combination. nothin i dont need and almost everything i want (still without inline Phillips) still awesome tool though
hi

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:59 AM
I agree the Craftsman has all the hallmarks of a winner - except for one slight omission :-

I N L I N E      P H I L I P S

As  a tradesman, how could you rely of this SAK to get you out of the smurf???
I think it would be almost impossible to use the ridiculously placed back spring philips
in any real life situation you're likely to encounter in the day-to-day world as a "Craftsman".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:34:29 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:09:45 AM
i don't carry mine all the time but it is my favourite.  If I'm in a one-knife scenario (like when travelling for example) it's my go-to.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:53 AM
I've been planning on doing a mod which would be very similar. I'd just replace the scissor layer with the inline phillips/magnifying glass and have a corkscrew on the back. I have all the other parts, just haven't been able to scare up a pair of pliers yet.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:23:06 AM
I have a couple and it's probably one of my most used and carried SAKs. :tu:

I would prefer the inline Philips but as this tool goes, it covers enough all round bases to make it almost perfect for me. I stopped carrying a Swiss Champ years ago because of the unneeded parts is has - I will never scale a fish ;)

I also have a Ranger and had planned to throw a Philips in it as mentioned above, but I do actually like the SAK pliers so tend to just carry the Craftsman.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:34:28 AM
Isn't saying you like the Craftsman sort of like saying you like ice-cream?  The immediate question is, well which one?  :rofl:  The pictures posted in this thread already seem to reflect that, not to mention that when NASA made SAKs official equipment they apparantly issued the Master Craftsman, not the Craftsman.

To clear this up, we need you to post a Picture!    :D

ps... I think many feel the same way about the Ranger.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:44:50 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:38 AM
My preferred 91 mm SAK was for a very long time the SwissChamp. After the year 2005 changes however I must say that I ended up disliking the magnifying glass - inline Phlips layer. Then, after many years of many SwissChamps, I finally got a Craftsman. Right now for me personally this Craftsman is better in a pure utility sense than all other SAKs I have, Victorinox and Wenger. Not the one that I like the most, just the one that for me offers the best overall utility. I wish that I found a Craftsman in the current configuration with the older, full tang thickness, main blade and perhaps also the older non SS metal saw and file. But I still like the current one. And compared with the current SwissChamp, Champion and all other 91 Vic SAKs, the Craftsman is my #1 in choice.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 01:59:08 AM
Not for me. I seldom have a use for a wood saw, but often have a use for an inline phillips. The metal file, I would use more often than the wood saw, but not by a whole lot. That's a thin layer though, so I'd probably keep it. I don't know HOW many times I haven't been able to get the job done because the phillips is a T-handle. Usually, the small screwdriver tip on the can opener can come to the rescue, but it shouldn't really have to, right?

But it is very close.

I think the closest I'll find to a "perfect factory SAK" is the CyberTool 34, or an S557.

But I agree, the Craftsman has a lot of good, useful functions in a reasonably priced package. Still too thick to pocket carry though.

One thing I've found about
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:08 AM
ATM , my current EDC SAK is the Handyman ,Corkscrews are very handy , and I like a place to put the eyeglass driver . The Craftsman is a very nice carry too .

I carry mine in the left front pocket , on a Monroe Dangler .

Chris

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:31 PM
Isn't saying you like the Craftsman sort of like saying you like ice-cream?  The immediate question is, well which one?  :rofl:  The pictures posted in this thread already seem to reflect that, not to mention that when NASA made SAKs official equipment they apparantly issued the Master Craftsman, not the Craftsman.

To clear this up, we need you to post a Picture!    :D

I assumed we are mostly referring to the current model with the hook and no scaler, as seen here:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Craftsman

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 03:37:39 PM
I like the Craftsman a lot, I was very happy when I got one with the older tang. The problem is, I drink wine. And wear glasses. And like playing around with rope and paracord. ;) (Actually, I would love a proper, rounded marlin spike on a Vic. The 93 mm sacking needle is absolutely not something I would be happy with for knot work. I have seen one guy grinding down the backmounted Philips to a marlin spike.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:39:43 PM by Steinar »

england Offline macabee

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 04:59:02 PM
My usual EDC is the 'Astronaut' AKA 'Master Craftsman'. I find that it serves most purposes, I always seem to go back to this for my EDC, although I will also carry the 'Ranger' which has a similar configuration :salute:
IMG_1725.jpg
* IMG_1725.jpg (Filesize: 40.19 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31