Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my first SOG!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Help me choose my first SOG!
on: June 02, 2019, 04:59:25 AM
Hi all,

As i am branching out into more MT‘s than just Vic and LM, i have come to get interested in SOGs.
Yet i have a hard time to figure out which one would be right for me. I like the smaller LM‘s, like the PST and the Wingman.

Loadout-wise i like MT‘s with scissors, different screwdriver sizes and fine/diamond file. I would also like a plier head with flush cut wire cutter, but that is not a deal breaker if not available.

I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Help me choose my first SOG!
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:59:02 AM
O.K. finally something I may be of help with. :rofl:

First: SOG doesn't/didn't make a tool with flush cutters or a diamond coated file. At least not one that I know of or can be found anywhere. :ahhh
Note:
SOG cutters are reversed from other brands. Victorinox followed suit many years later and started making reversed-jaw pliers heads for the SwissTools(first on Spirit, then on SwissTool). So those may be familiar to use for you. :)

Second: Don't expect much from modern SOG files. Their files are below par mostly. The PowerPocketPlier, PowerLock, & PowerAssist have decent enough files for moderate use though. The older SOGs from the 90s and early 2000s have notably better aggression to the files. All of theirs have three sides. Fine, coarse, and saw.

Third: Most SOG tools have compound leverage pliers, which double the force applied to the handles to the jaws. The drawback is that the jaws open half the distance. But, SOG handle splay is usually good and the jaws will open really wide if necessary, with just opening the handles some more.

Lastly: Now, this is pure assumption, but from what I know about your MT carries, you aren't a fan of heavier duty tools. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :ahhh

I recommend the PowerPocketPlier Deluxe as a good starting point. Small, compact, and light. Good driver selection and a file. No scissors though. For scissors, you'd need to step up to the PowerLock, which is 9oz or so. Quite a lot heavier. And I do NOT recommend their newest stonewashed tools like the PowerPlay, PowerGrab, PowerAccess, PowerAccess Deluxe, etc. Those newer tools are a hot mess and need some reworking to be competitive with other brands.
A great combo is a PPP with a Vic classic. :)

The real SOG pudding is in the original PowerPlier. And those can be had for a reasonable sum on eBay usually. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 02:24:22 PM
Thanks so much GLBM, i knew i would hear from you  :cheers:

You are right, i don‘t need heavy duty MTs. I use my MTs mainly for work around the house and on the go, or for leatherworking. When i am in the shop i use dedicated tools.

The PPP with a classic sounds like a good starting point  :tu:
Mostly i pair my LM‘s with some kinda SAK anyway to make up for missing tool options. For example i pair the PST II with a Huntsman to make up for the missing wood saw and mediocre scissors.

Do i need to look for a certain production time of the PPP? Was there a production period where they had problems that i need to avoid?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
Pocket Power Plier too. Though, the Paratool is pretty neat with it's flip-out plier had.  I outfitted mine with a serrated blade, and used the file as filler. Too bad SOG seems to have discontinued ALL their individual tool components, as I'd planned to put a wire stripper in there.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 03:11:05 PM
Thanks so much GLBM, i knew i would hear from you  :cheers:

You are right, i don‘t need heavy duty MTs. I use my MTs mainly for work around the house and on the go, or for leatherworking. When i am in the shop i use dedicated tools.

The PPP with a classic sounds like a good starting point  :tu:
Mostly i pair my LM‘s with some kinda SAK anyway to make up for missing tool options. For example i pair the PST II with a Huntsman to make up for the missing wood saw and mediocre scissors.

Do i need to look for a certain production time of the PPP? Was there a production period where they had problems that i need to avoid?
You're certainly welcome, SirVic! :cheers:

I'm usually just causing trouble, so it is nice to be of some help. :)

The newer PPPs have the precision ground pliers that are great to use and nice look at. Fine tips and great tool steel with the doubled force makes crushing pencils a lot of fun. :rofl:

The PPP Deluxe, recently discontinued is my favorite for the tool density and weight. SOG's PPP, PowerLock, and PowerAssist(and PowerGrab being their most recent model with awesome pliers head, but not a great tool overall) pliers heads are the leaders of the pack as far as how nicely they meet and are finished. The older PPPs still have nice pliers heads, but they have smaller cutters and aren't precision ground. The newer PPPs/PPP Deluxe has a high-satin(not hugh gloss that can sometimes slip when sweaty) polish on the handles, which is a nice touch. :)
The blade and drivers perform well and are nicely finished. The file is lackluster, but will get the job done(just takes 30% longer than say a Rebar or Spirit file would).
Here is a listing for the US made PPP Deluxe NIB.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOG-Deluxe-Pocket-Power-Plier-Multi-Tool-w-Nylon-Sheath-11-Tools-S45N/401487121057?epid=1102028772&hash=item5d7a7f4aa1:g:ukAAAOSwAuZbNqBa:sc:USPSFirstClass!36109!US!-1

$69 seems a little high(I paid $49 for mine last year on sale), but those are going to be really hard to find soon. And since SOG still makes the regular PPP, they could fix the Deluxe if there were any issues down the road(like crushing too many pencils). They do have a lifetime warranty and good service. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 03:13:06 PM
Pocket Power Plier too. Though, the Paratool is pretty neat with it's flip-out plier had.  I outfitted mine with a serrated blade, and used the file as filler. Too bad SOG seems to have discontinued ALL their individual tool components, as I'd planned to put a wire stripper in there.
Indeed. I was bummed to see they didn't sell the stripper implement anymore, and other odd implements, as well. :ahhh

I like the ParaTool, but cannot recommend it as a user tool, because of the way the handles can fold if you're not used to using one. Tedious at best. :ahhh

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
If you are considering a PPP it might be worth looking at the Paladin PT-510 variant as well if you want gear covers (but you may want to change the tool load-out).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 04:31:27 PM
+1 on the PPP, it is a flawed tool, but an immensely enjoyable one... and one of my favourites. It's most definitely a tinkerers tool. If you can, I would probably go for a late nineties or early noughties one - they seem to be the most nicely made and tooled.

Here's mine. I've swapped out the combo blade and file for a PE blade and saw (you'll have to take a tiny bit of the spine to make it fit) and I took a little bit off the tip of the phillips, so that it fits a #2 better.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 05:37:20 PM
I gotta disagree on the older ones being the way to go. Sorry, Fuzz. I like the older ones too, but the newer ones are built nearly identical, however with a grind polished updated pliers head. The S45 is still my fav. Though, since Greg threw the Paladin PT-510 idea out, I included it in one of the photos to show the pliers differences and the gear covers. Like he said, it would need modding, because a couple of tool slots are filled with a electrical punchdown tool. :ahhh

The PPP Deluxe has the 1/4" bit driver, if you haven't seen the SOG version before. Takes sockets and SOG makes a q/4" drive to 1/4" hex bit adapter as well. Quite a great implement. :)

PocketPowerPlier Deluxe.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 07:27:33 PM
+1 for the PPP... It has the awl... PPP Deluxe has that adaptor you can attach bits... I personally wouldn't recommend SOG scissors though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 09:26:47 PM
I gotta disagree on the older ones being the way to go. Sorry, Fuzz. I like the older ones too, but the newer ones are built nearly identical, however with a grind polished updated pliers head. The S45 is still my fav. Though, since Greg threw the Paladin PT-510 idea out, I included it in one of the photos to show the pliers differences and the gear covers. Like he said, it would need modding, because a couple of tool slots are filled with a electrical punchdown tool. :ahhh

The PPP Deluxe has the 1/4" bit driver, if you haven't seen the SOG version before. Takes sockets and SOG makes a q/4" drive to 1/4" hex bit adapter as well. Quite a great implement. :)

PocketPowerPlier Deluxe.
(Image removed from quote.)

Meh... personally, I prefer the old style plier head, it's the nicest most unique feature of the older PPPs... it's smurfing cute!

Each to their own.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 09:43:34 PM
It is cute indeed, Fuzzy! :iagree:

But! I can't recommend a tool, because of a cute pliers head. :rofl:

If it helps, the updated pliers head on the newer PPPs is 'curved' like the old style.  :(

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 09:56:06 PM
It is cute indeed, Fuzzy! :iagree:

But! I can't recommend a tool, because of a cute pliers head. :rofl:

If it helps, the updated pliers head on the newer PPPs is 'curved' like the old style.  :(

You may not, but I certainly can.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 10:03:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies  :hatsoff:

The deluxe certainly looks nice and i also like the tool compliment. I am sure i will find a nice SAK to partner it with.
Will check the usual sources to see if i can score one for a good price  :cheers:

Thanks for the pics GLBM and Fuzzy, always love to see tools  :drool:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 02:44:34 AM
I may be one of the few people who liked the now discontinued PowerDuo.  You can think of it as a 111mm SAK similar to the One Hand Trekker, but with pliers.  It even comes with a toothpick and tweezers. They're cheap on evil bay too.
P1110867.JPG
* P1110867.JPG (Filesize: 92.02 KB)
Anniversary Challenge 8.JPG
* Anniversary Challenge 8.JPG (Filesize: 143.53 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:18:36 AM
I would say just go for a powerlock though, I like the handle covers. The handles on the PPP are not so forgiving when u need the squeeze. Internal tool wise, while the they are quite the same. Powerlock's locks but usually quite wobbly. PPP, slip joints but doesn't wobble. Just note on the Awl though, there are really wicked but imo, grounded in the wrong direction especially when it's in the PPP.

Or the power access? It's another great option.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 05:37:48 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, Sam and Alan!  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41