Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tasks can I perform with the 58mm blade?

volbu · 19 · 2129

gr Offline volbu

What tasks can I perform with the 58mm blade?
on: May 25, 2012, 11:22:42 PM
The question is pretty straightforward, I got my midnite manager 15 days ago and I love all the tools in it, particularly the pen has been of use already 10 or more times!

Anyway I dont think any other so small and thin blade exists or anyone uses such a blade, what tasks can I perform with it without fearing I ll break it!?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: What tasks can I perform with the 58mm blade?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:33:43 AM
I tend to use it for opening letters or packets, and occasionally random light duty tasks.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:39:12 AM
Yep. About 70% of what I use a knife blade for is opening boxes, and this will do that duty fine.

There's a video on youtube of someone using a spyderco bug to skin a rabbit. In dire circumstances, you could use even this small blade for such a task. As long as the force is applied in the right direction, I think you'd be surprised what it's capable of.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 01:20:49 AM
I know a guy that cleaned a roadkill deer with a Classic.  I imagine it wasn't easy but it could be done.

I have also seen what a mess a Classic blade can make on the dancefloor of a crowded club. It ain't pretty.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:29:30 AM
Where there is a will, there is a way. I would hate to clean a deer with a Classic. Mad props to that guy for even attempting it let alone succeeding.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:29:44 AM
spliting pills  :tu: and opening all kinds of packaging
custom swiss army knives

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:39:09 AM
I recently used a classic to open up an infected wound in order to apply antiseptic so it would heal :o . I use my classic blade to remove splinters, cut those hard cuticles on the edges of your fingernail so they don't pull out and cause pain :cry: , also to cut open those hard to open blister type pill packages. Many other uses.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:46:50 AM
I know a guy that cleaned a roadkill deer with a Classic.

I cleaned a roadkill dear once, but I had a 6" fixed blade Buck to do it with. And that was still a long chore. I don't think using a classic to do it would be impossible, it'd just make it take a good deal longer. And there would be nasty funk all up in the joints after.

us Offline Southern Dad

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:51 AM
I also use my 58mm blade for dividing medicine. I have to do this everyday for my daughter. I cut a line down a middle of a tablet a few times, then it breaks in half neatly. They are small tablets, so a larger blade would be too big for the task.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:04:54 AM by Southern Dad »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:57 AM
Old-timers who carry traditional pocket knives in the US have a saying that runs thus: "It doesn't need to be big, only sharp."

I think it would be easier to say what it CAN'T do:

• Whittling: not big enough for material removal.
  • Food prep: Sub-optimal. It can be done, but you'll get gunk in the joints.
  • Cutting big ropes: Again, it can be done, but it will take a while.
  • Prying: No knife blades should really be used for this, but you can get away with it with some. Not on a 58mm SAK.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline clickstop

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:19:56 AM
Something a lot of people tend not to mention is clamshell packaging. My 58mm handles those things with ease. Not a big blade, so you're less likely to cut yourself

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Re: What tasks can I perform with the 58mm blade?
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:21:22 AM
Yep. About 70% of what I use a knife blade for is opening boxes, and this will do that duty fine.

There's a video on youtube of someone using a spyderco bug to skin a rabbit. In dire circumstances, you could use even this small blade for such a task. As long as the force is applied in the right direction, I think you'd be surprised what it's capable of.

Skinning a rabbit is easy. It's one of the easiest animals to skin and clean, and tastes so good. :D We've been breeding them for years. Now skinning a deer with a classic, that I would like to see.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Re: What tasks can I perform with the 58mm blade?
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:15:48 AM
Skinning a rabbit is easy. It's one of the easiest animals to skin and clean, and tastes so good. :D We've been breeding them for years. Now skinning a deer with a classic, that I would like to see.

I've heard there's very little holding a rabbit skin on. In fact, a couple pokes with a pointy stick and you can... excuse the graphic stuff here folks... just rip the pelt off.

I'm sure a deer could be done with a very short blade. It's just a matter of how long it'd take. Cleaning any animal is really pretty much the same business, just on a different scale.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 05:12:47 PM
The trickiest part of field-dressing an animal is not cutting or puncturing the stinky parts. (bladder, intestines) The blade on a 58mm SAK would be perfect for this.

Full butchering, on the other hand, would really be an exercise in patience, especially cutting through tendons and such. Might have to take a sharpening break too...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 06:58:13 PM

I've heard there's very little holding a rabbit skin on. In fact, a couple pokes with a pointy stick and you can... excuse the graphic stuff here folks... just rip the pelt off.

WARNING; GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF SKINNING A RABBIT

It's very simple. You make a circular cut around the back legs like you would when stripping a wire, cut the skin to the groin on both sides and pull the pelt off up to the head. Then it' just the matter of a few small cuts around the front legs and the biggest problem for that small blade, cutting the head off. But yes, hardly anything holding a rabbit skin on. Hm, I might try it with a classic when the next litter is big enough.

gb Offline EddieEnzyme

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 08:02:50 PM
I broke down a corrugated cardboard box from a 4x10 speaker cabinet with my Midnight Manager's blade.
It coped very well, the fact that it's so slim helped it glide through it with ease.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:18:41 PM by EddieEnzyme »

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 08:34:49 PM
Amici,
I have to admit, that I've never taxied my 58mm blades on any task more than opening envelopes, so I am ignorant on what limits this model can tolerate, but I'd like to hear some!

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 01:53:36 AM
I broke down a corrugated cardboard box from a 4x10 speaker cabinet with my Midnight Manager's blade.
It coped very well, the fact that it's so slim helped it glide through it with ease.

I've done similar box break-down jobs with 58mm SAKs. I noticed the blade gets HOT from the friction after this kind of duty. It also gets dull after not too many boxes, but that nice thin blade sharpens up so easily!
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:55 PM
In Big Bend Texas used this little blade to make a walking stick from heavy bamboo-like reed:  notch just above a joint, turn, notch, turn, all around, all again, and finally snap the stick in two.  Almost had to fend off a romping peccary.  With the stick.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69