Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lefties

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Lefties
on: November 21, 2006, 01:21:01 AM
I have been wondering this for a while, and while I did mention it in my first multitool article on SOSAKOnline, I really don;t have a frame of reference.  It seems to me that Leatherman is kind of doing southpaws a disservice with their newer designs like the Wave, Surge and Charge series, since the one handed opening blades aren't accessible from the left hand.

Am I reading too much into this?  Are most lefties just used to using tools (and everything else) right handed?  Do you think LM should either offer a left handed version, or some kind of blade swapping option so you could move the saws and blades back and forth?

Or does it even matter?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Re: Lefties
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:52:55 AM
As a lefty I think we get so used to having to adapt to right handed gear it becomes second nature but if a company did make there blades able to be moved between a left handed / right handed layout would be greatly apreceated.

Dave

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:46 AM
I really dont think it would be that difficult for them to switch the outside blades around. The slots are cut the same on both sides.

Stupid question. Did anyone ever send one iin to them or ask them if the blades could be swapped around?

S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:32:20 AM
Not that I am aware of.  This always seemed to be the biggest failing of this design, and with the majority of the current lineup being variations of the one handed design it really seems almost like Leatherman is not interested in servicing the left handed market.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:09:16 AM
I'm left-handed, and I am constantly annoyed that I can't flick the blade out on my Charge with my left hand. As hawkchucker points out though, the side panel cutouts are the same on both sides of the tool, which I'm sure was no oversight in the design. I plan to switch the blades around as soon as I can get a security Torx bit.

Minor point: I notice the little "safety tab," which prevents the knife from being accessed if the handles are unfolded, would have to be ground off if the blade positions are switched.

~Bob
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:16:24 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:15:49 AM
safety tab

* safety tab.jpg (Filesize: 89.7 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:17:00 AM
Interesting... I never noticed that little tab.  I take it there isn't one on the other side?  Is it forced out by the plier head or spring loaded?

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 10:16:13 PM
It would be interesting to see if the safety tab can be tweeked out of the way.

I have noticed that the liner lock on the surge and the old wave are the same for all outside implements. I bet the tab could just be ground off and themn it would be moot. However it wouldcertainly void out the warrenty.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 10:51:13 PM
Interesting... I never noticed that little tab.  I take it there isn't one on the other side? 

Nope, the tab only comes out on the "knife" side, on both handles. Same safety mechanism on the New Wave, Charge, and Surge.

Is it forced out by the plier head or spring loaded?

It is forced out by a cam track cast into the bottom of the plier head. Note that Leatherman uses these same plier heads, including cam track, on all of their full-size plier tools. (Even though some of those tools, like the Kick, Fuse, Blast, Core, etc, do not have the safety tab mechanism.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:58:19 PM
cam track on Surge

* cam.jpg (Filesize: 53.82 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 12:00:19 AM
I always wondered about that shape molded into the base of the plier head!

I obviously never looked that close.

Def

Offline bobofish

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 01:55:52 PM
I imagine the charge is similar enough to the surge that what I'm about to say still applies.

Three options have presented themselves to me:
First one, hold the tool right side up (the knife deployed will be right side up) and grip the tool like a handshake. Use your middle finger to grab the hole in the blade and twist to deploy. It takes a little practice but works. Using the index finger seems a bit risky to me; the tool may slip, your hand may slip, and then you have one hell of a paper cut to deal with.

Second option: Hold the tool upside down (butt end of plier arms skyward) and hold it in a milktoast handshake; you know the type that usually gets a sweaty palm accompaniment. Think of it maybe like holding a flyrod, with your index finger extended a little. Use your thumb to swivel the thing out, and then just flip the tool.

Third: Just like the first option except that you swivel the first half of the way with your middle finger, and the rest with your thumb. This may well be the safest and easiest option.

A little practice makes perfect. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 03:51:59 AM
Good suggestions. I tried each one, and they do work. Sort of. But then I transfered the tool over to my right hand and flicked out the blade with my thumb like it was designed to be done. Slick.

My left hand then got so jealous of how easy my right hand had it, that now the two of them aren't speaking to each other.   :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%