Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I want an over the top SAK

trey · 49 · 7791

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: I want an over the top SAK
Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 01:40:33 AM
Anything more than 3 layers will not last for pocket carry. Some 3 layer models are even a little much.

Here are the 3-layer SAKs I'd recommend:

- Victorinox Spartan Lite
- Victorinox CyberTool 29
- Victorinox Super Tinker
- Wenger Evo 16 (or S16, or EvoGrip S16)

Sure you can't commit to a belt pouch? Then, the sky's the limit.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline trey

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:56 AM
Okay, so I'm PM'ing somebody.  Three layers?  I've got to do better than that.

Does anybody know if a carbon steel blade from any other knife is a direct replacement
for a SAK blade?

If I'm going crazy, then I'm all in.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:36 AM
3 layers is crazy talk!  :ahhh

6 layers!  EDC it!  Cybertool 41 is the place to start!  Move up from there!  :pok:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:19 AM
Okay, so I'm PM'ing somebody.  Three layers?  I've got to do better than that.

Does anybody know if a carbon steel blade from any other knife is a direct replacement
for a SAK blade?

If I'm going crazy, then I'm all in.
There are some custom ones available with damascus blades in them; I'm pretty sure Swiss Bianco has them.  Don't know what models are available though. 

I'm going to reiterate my recommendation for a Work Champ.  I think it's the best large SAK for EDC.  Yeah, it's not pocket-friendly, but it has the best combination of tools for general EDC use in a knife type tool.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:41 PM
Damn, I woke up this morning remembering ordering 2 swisschamps and 2 craftsman off the back of this thread. A user and a keeper of each.

Now I swore I would fend off the SAK bug as I already suffer with Multitools up the wazoo.

But that makes 9 SAKs this week alone.

Now due to Internet shopping it is very easy to end up with no money and even less draw space. So to curb my mt purchasing I brought in a self enforced rule that I could only buy mts on the net if they were heavily discounted which has worked to a certain extent.

Now I have decided I can only buy SAKs from a store and absolutely no Internet purchases from now on.

I could not apply this to mts as finding myself in a shop that sells quality mts is very rare indeed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:12:26 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 02:55:00 AM
Now I have decided I can only buy SAKs from a store and absolutely no Internet purchases from now on.

The flawed part of that arguement is that all the best ones are discontinued and only available online. Yeoman, 1970's Outdoorsman, Climber Small, Salesman, Director, 84mm Golfer, Timekeeper ... and they're just the ones I've managed to get my paws on  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 02:26:15 PM
You need each top SAK from 1 layer - 9+ layers :D then you are complete. Many here would have agreed with me.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 02:59:33 PM

The flawed part of that arguement is that all the best ones are discontinued and only available online. Yeoman, 1970's Outdoorsman, Climber Small, Salesman, Director, 84mm Golfer, Timekeeper ... and they're just the ones I've managed to get my paws on  :whistle:

I recently bought a motorist and a couple of lumberjacks from a shop all discontinued, but I think I was lucky.
And my resolve has wavered already as I have just ordered this from amazon.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 03:31:59 PM

I recently bought a motorist and a couple of lumberjacks from a shop all discontinued, but I think I was lucky.
And my resolve has wavered already as I have just ordered this from amazon.

(Image removed from quote.)

:o GOOD CATCH!!!!  :tu:

de Offline Jmora

Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:56 PM
its a bit strange that such a rare model is available from amazon? could it be an old stock photo, and actually they give you an explorer?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:11 PM
You do occasionally get a bit of old stock making an appearance, but it's not very often

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 09:54:12 PM
its a bit strange that such a rare model is available from amazon? could it be an old stock photo, and actually they give you an explorer?

You could be right, I hope not.
It is coming from the states so may be a while before I find out.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 10:19:59 PM
I've bought oddball Vics from them before.  I think you're safe.  It's probably exactly as described.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
Amici,
Either the Swisschamp, Champion, or Craftsman. If you wear jeans, they all fit quite comfortably in the "zippo" pocket located within the right front pocket.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 12:58:50 AM
My vote is with the craftsman, although not over the top as in there is nothing on there I won't use like cork screw or that fish scaler I hate with a passion, still remains impressive-ish in size.

But if it is a curioso  you are after then I think it is about how much you want to spend.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:17:20 AM by chip »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:35 AM
You do occasionally get a bit of old stock making an appearance, but it's not very often

You got that right 50ft!!

I recently bought 12 BNIB Bucktools off amazon 6 x 360's 6x 355's for......wait for it...............

...............................£9.95 each  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I only paid the postage for three of the items, the rest were shipped out free of charge... and..           and..         and the seller sent  4 free gifts too !!!
Don't mean to be smug...but christ how lucky is I.
Apparently the seller (hush hush) bought 6 of each the 355 and 360 and never sold any so decided to get rid of the stock via amazon as uk ebay wont allow listings.

Do I love amazon??
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:28 PM

Well the yeoman arrived today, But it is not a yeoman its a bsa explorer complete with cub scout logo on the scales :rant: well two arrived actually (i have to stop buying two of stuff).

Now i paid £40 each for these thinking they were NIB old stock yeomans.
I can buy brand new standard explorers from amazon for £25.
Now is there any extra value in the bsa version (basically £15 extra value) or should i return them.

So has this been a genuine mistake where they have got the model mixed up so i have
not got what i wanted but the money is right for what i got.

OR

Have i been deliberately swindled by using false advertising to make me part with more money than the actual product that has arrived is worth.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
For a while, the BSA Explorer was still called the Yeoman, and still is in some catalogs, IIRC.  Different models, yes, but some companies still use old stock photos or text descriptions - I can't tell you how many times I've read "ribbed alox scales" instead of the modern, checkered design.

I'd return them; they aren't more valuable than a regular Explorer, IMO.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 07:13:52 PM
damn, that's a disappointment. I guess the mistake was made in good faith, because not many sellers really have a concept of the collectibility of these knives, from a non SAK collector's point of view, the difference between three and four layers would be trivial.
I'm sure they'll accept a return though - I had to do that once because I ordered a Soldier, and got an alox pioneer instead. The guy was okay with htat, though he didn't understand why I would care about the difference.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%