Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What bladeless models would you like to see?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
What bladeless models would you like to see?
on: May 11, 2024, 09:34:46 AM
Well, Carl Elsener said they're thinking of starting a bladeless line of tools, seeing how sales are being impacted by knife crime. :(

What models would you like to see?

This also raises the question of What is a Knife?
Is the awl ok? The scissors? The saw? :think:

I'd like to see a bladeless urban Cybertool, no blade or openers. Driver, scissors, file, pliers. Maybe saw too?

Or an Alox three hit wonder: file, scissors, saw. But where will the awl go? In a layer on its own? :think:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What bladeless models would you like to see?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 12:36:06 PM
I read that Victorinox is planning a baseless line.

A SAW, is a cutting tool, a very mean cutter just by itself and can inflict serious harm, more so than a blade.  So no saw blade.

The baseless model should include; a AWL w/eye,  a 3D Phillips w/cap lifter ,  Scissors,  Magnifier,, flat  screw driver and the small chisel. These awl placed in-line.

On the back side a CORK SCREW, and a HOOK.

In the scale, the Tooth pick and tweezers.  As well as a light.
😉
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 12:46:56 PM
I'd be delighted to see a bladeless Swisschamp. :tu:

Because I find using the blades & openers on the SC so unwieldy, I've fantasized for years about having a Swisschamp split into a Spartan & a multi with everything else.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:53:59 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 04:03:54 PM
I have been thinking about this. It is very easy to imagine a Swiss champ without blade layer, except the issue of the corkscrew and backside scale cutout. Vic loves the corkscrew so it seems they will need a new tool or tool pairing for an outer layer with corkscrew. Ideas for the outer corkscrew layer: scissors, a longer version of the inline phillips, new phillips and flat that sit across from one another, ??

I was thinking the other night about an alox 3 hit wonder as well, but came up with File, saw, pliers. The idea being that I would have a manager for scissors and SDs and stand alone blade along side it. If the saw is deemed too dangerous (hahaha) then file, scissors, pliers seems natural. Another option is a 4 layer with the addition of the inline phillips layer.

I think there was mention of the golf tool and a bicycle tool. For that I am envisioning something of another form than the  current Saks, and would have allens keys, spoke wrench, chain tool, adjustable wrench, SDs etc

us Online cody6268

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 04:11:31 PM
Would it be strange if I said "just scissors" in 91mm?

Planning on taking a robotics course (as a refresher to my mechatronics--taught by the same instructor I had--though about half the distance away as the community college) as well as carpentry, and unlike the community college, the career and technical center (on a high school campus) abides by the same rules as the schools--state law is 2.5" for school campuses, but most of them are "No weapons" type places". 

If the upcoming bike tool has a bit driver, I think it could work. Currently, I'm thinking about a Raptor plus my Style PS.

Honestly, your idea of what, is, essentially, a Cybertool minus the blades will probably work.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 05:01:40 PM
Actually, all of the gizmos on a SAK could be called 'weapons'.  Is there any reason to believe that they won't?  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 05:40:28 PM
Actually, all of the gizmos on a SAK could be called 'weapons'.  Is there any reason to believe that they won't?  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

:iagree: Certainly here in the UK.

If we're talking about air travel I carry a Classic with me (in my rucksack) and a Swiss+Tech Utili-Key (on my keyring) and I've never had a problem, within Europe.

I work at Heathrow and I wouldn't chance anything like a full size bladeless SAK/MT  :pok: - especially as they seem to charge the same for "bladeless" stuff but then add a saw blade  :facepalm:

If we're talking about EDC (off duty) then I'll stick with UK EDC legal as anywhere that I can't take that I awlmost certainly wouldn't be able to take anything genuinely useful  :think:

So TBH, I don't think I'd every want or need one...probably  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

de Online matzesu

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 06:02:16 PM
Maybe some sort of an Tool Update for the smaller Modells: I have now an 4 Layer in my Pocket and an Cybertool in my Backpack I take to works

Booth share Tools , so you have them twice

So how about an SAK whit Bitdriver, Pliers, Magnifier Glas and on the other side other stuff..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Online Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 08:03:14 PM
I read that Victorinox is planning a baseless line.
Was the use of the bolded word intentional or an auto-correct fail?

Probably at least 95% of the time I reach for an SAK, I'm going to use its blade. So bladeless SAKs have very little to no appeal for me. That's especially true when you consider that pretty much any and every other SAK tool could be wrongly and unfairly seen as a "weapon." I can't fault Victorinox for seeing a potential market and jumping into it, though.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 08:44:46 PM
Autocorrect.  Again!!!
I think the eye doc is correct, the cataracts are getting the better of me, but not enough to require correction ???
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 11:35:35 PM
I would like to see the following tool layers:

Scissors
Pliers
Cybertool Layer
Magnifying Glass + Flashlight
Fish Scaler
Spatula
Can Opener / Cap Lifter

Backside:

Hook with File
Small screwdriver

And all Scale Tools.

Let's call it the CyberPhisher.  :D :D :D :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: Today at 08:40:14 AM
What if the blade is replaced with a rescue cutter? Isn't it ok if the blade is hidden and protected?
So, there could be all current models, with the rescue hook blade instead if the standard blade. :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%