Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer x defect or design?

ie Offline ed_is_dead

on: May 05, 2024, 06:03:34 PM

When closing the awl it hits the scale as a stop rather than the awls kick hitting the back spring. I dislike this as it marks the scale and makes for a hollow sound when closing.

Yes I'm that mad.

So fault or design? I'm guessing design and for the price vs overall quality I can't complain but it irks me in what is an otherwise near flawless design (bar the awkward left hand scissors opening).

Cut a small thin piece of sheet steel to interference fit where the kick would hit the backspring.

Now the universe is better and the kick and backspring make a nice thunk and the scale is no longer a stop.
Ahhhh

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 06:06:56 PM
Hmmm. Never really gave it much thought.

Glad you’re happy with it now!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Tuisto

Re: Pioneer x defect or design?
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 06:36:12 PM
I don't mean to disparage Victorinox; I love them. But every single awl (with one exception) I've had on a 93mm has had some minor issue or another. two Electricians from around 2012, Farmer X from this year, two pioneers (one of which is the 2010 Damascus), one of which was from 2010ish. The only one that I have that doesn't have issues is the Swiss Army 7. I've had to find various ways to fix them like filing some of the metal down on the scales, using a rubber mallet to bend things one way or another, etc. But yeah, I don't know what it is with the awls on the 93mm models but I've always had (relatively minor) issues with them.

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 01:52:27 AM
I haven't had any other issues with the 93mm awl but every single one of them makes that same mark on the edge of the scale. My first colored Alox was a blue Pioneer and when I noticed that mark I felt like you do. Now all my Alox SAKs are colored, except my Soldiers, and I've grown to be awlright with the tiny nick on each one. I love the pretty ones but I buy them to use them. As they age they each develop their own character, but it always starts with the awl mark.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 02:43:36 AM
all my pre mid 80's 93mm Alox stuff with an awl has no issues nor have they ever. Another reason to seek out the old stuff and not get caught up in chasing the inferior ones of today with all of the silly colors. I would rather pay a little more for older 93mm Alox stuff than buy the modern era ones. Older old cross or old Soldier's for me and preferably pre mid 80's. Just my 2 cents on this. This is where it’s at right here. 60’s Soldier

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 12:12:52 PM
Hmmm. Never really gave it much thought.

Glad you’re happy with it now!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes very happy with it now and you're quite right to have not given it much thought  :tu:

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 12:17:41 PM
I don't mean to disparage Victorinox; I love them. But every single awl (with one exception) I've had on a 93mm has had some minor issue or another. two Electricians from around 2012, Farmer X from this year, two pioneers (one of which is the 2010 Damascus), one of which was from 2010ish. The only one that I have that doesn't have issues is the Swiss Army 7. I've had to find various ways to fix them like filing some of the metal down on the scales, using a rubber mallet to bend things one way or another, etc. But yeah, I don't know what it is with the awls on the 93mm models but I've always had (relatively minor) issues with them.
My last pioneer x awl had a rough transition between tang and the curl over if you get me. Nothing a minute and a dremel couldn't sort. Again just me being picky.
Generally speaking I don't think there's a comparable multitool that comes to the market at it price point with such value and consistent quality.

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 12:21:30 PM
I haven't had any other issues with the 93mm awl but every single one of them makes that same mark on the edge of the scale. My first colored Alox was a blue Pioneer and when I noticed that mark I felt like you do. Now all my Alox SAKs are colored, except my Soldiers, and I've grown to be awlright with the tiny nick on each one. I love the pretty ones but I buy them to use them. As they age they each develop their own character, but it always starts with the awl mark.
I'm not a fanatic collector and all my Swiss knives are users so I'm not bothered by marks from use. This just irked me though and it makes a better sound when closing now :drink:

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 12:23:11 PM
all my pre mid 80's 93mm Alox stuff with an awl has no issues nor have they ever. Another reason to seek out the old stuff and not get caught up in chasing the inferior ones of today with all of the silly colors. I would rather pay a little more for older 93mm Alox stuff than buy the modern era ones. Older old cross or old Soldier's for me and preferably pre mid 80's. Just my 2 cents on this. This is where it’s at right here. 60’s Soldier
Just looking at pics online and it seems the older models too have this design feature of using the scale as a stop. I can't comment on the better quality of the older models as I own none but have no reason to doubt you :tu:

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 07:09:58 PM
I haven't noticed that on my 2023 model.  Mine seems to be good so far.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 10:50:37 PM
I haven't noticed that on my 2023 model.  Mine seems to be good so far.
Ah ha! So just to be clear, on your example you could fold a sheet of paper over the scale side, close the awl and the paper wouldn't be trapped?

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 11:13:54 PM
I think I stand corrected.  The piece of paper is between the scale and the awl.  I have no damage to the scale, though mine is a shelf queen most of the time.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 11:33:05 PM
I think I stand corrected.  The piece of paper is between the scale and the awl.  I have no damage to the scale, though mine is a shelf queen most of the time.

(Image removed from quote.)
So that's it answered, it's by design. Weird they wouldn't have just extended the kick by a half mm  to lift it up off the scale. Thank you for the demonstration.

What I suggest to you is you forget you ever read this and enjoy your knife :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: Today at 12:32:14 AM
Every 93mm I’ve had from all eras have had this to one degree or another, unless they’re brand new out of the box. This is from early folded awl elinox +pat can opener era knives up through my EDC 2018 LE. Also includes the farmers I’ve had.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #14 on: Today at 01:25:15 AM
Every 93mm I’ve had from all eras have had this to one degree or another, unless they’re brand new out of the box. This is from early folded awl elinox +pat can opener era knives up through my EDC 2018 LE. Also includes the farmers I’ve had.
Not sure I understand Gustophermob, can you explain regards "unless"?

I get it's by design and won't necessarily harm the knife, it's just that's it's a "dirty fix" in my (odd) mind when if they'd simply extend the kick a half mm it would close and stop travel conventionally.

Pondering this made me wonder if this method was chosen for advantages over "conventional" and I can think of one. No matter how the awl wears (from use or sharpening) having it stop by hitting the scale would always ensure the point was never proud when closed.
Perhaps they're smarter than I credited them?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: Today at 01:28:42 AM
I mean the brand new ones don’t usually have a mark. It’s only after the awl has been allowed to snap close that I’ve seen it. Though it’s possible I could’ve had a new one out of the box with the mark, I don’t usually check for it new. I currently have two BNIB 93mms, a pioneer and farmer and neither are marked. But all my used ones have developed one.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #16 on: Today at 09:10:08 AM
I mean the brand new ones don’t usually have a mark. It’s only after the awl has been allowed to snap close that I’ve seen it. Though it’s possible I could’ve had a new one out of the box with the mark, I don’t usually check for it new. I currently have two BNIB 93mms, a pioneer and farmer and neither are marked. But all my used ones have developed one.
Sorry I understand now, yes mine (also new) only developed the mark after use. I cycled the awl and scissors maybe fifty times while flushing the pivot with lube as they were gritty. They're perfectly smooth now but that's how I noticed the scale stop.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%