Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scale swap

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Scale swap
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2024, 02:14:10 PM
   You do know that if you take the scales off several times, that eventually they will be loose?  First time generally works okay.  After that they start getting a rattle when you touch them.  Eventually you will have to glue them if you want them tight.  I generally leave them where they are, unless they are broken.  Just scratches means I polish.
   It seems like you tired of your Swiza pretty quickly.  Imagine what the white scales would look like after carrying them a while.  I think I would still buy one if I found a used one somewhere.    Best wishes.  Gary
 :whistle:

de Offline matzesu

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2024, 02:35:00 PM
I did order a new pair of the same color, I don’t want to use them from the Cybertool.. and the used blue ones are only there until I get the new scales next week..

Whit the Swizza, yes maybe I would have to get use to its flaws, but it’s also a good collection item..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2024, 07:49:58 PM
Imagine what the white scales would look like after carrying them a while.
It's been my experience that white scales inevitably turn a dingy and unappealing brown-yellow after the knife gets enough use. How one safely removes all that skin oil, I've no idea.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #33 on: May 11, 2024, 08:45:56 PM
I have one or two white scaled SAKs and just pulling them in and out of jeans causes them to turn a bit blue. I ended up just cleaning and polishing them and making them shelf queens for now. Though the white really does stand stand out.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

de Offline matzesu

Reply #34 on: May 14, 2024, 08:01:52 PM
Ok now I have a picture of my fresh swapped Huntsman and the Cybertool
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #35 on: May 14, 2024, 08:19:39 PM
 :like:
USN 2000-2006

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #36 on: May 14, 2024, 08:38:02 PM
Looking good!!

:like:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

de Offline matzesu

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2024, 11:47:52 AM
It was about that divicult to get them on the huntsman like it was on the Cybertool ^^
I dont know if these Scales where Original Victorinox, i did not looked on the backside ..

Where non transparent Plus Scales even something you get at Victorinox?

They look nice, the only thing i notice is that the Tweezers are a bit less stiff secured in its hole, its not that they fell out easy, : they dont fell out from gravitation, but they have a bit less friction like they had Originally..

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 15, 2024, 12:07:35 PM
   Make sure the scale on the tweezer side is fully seated.  If the scale isn't fully against the liner, the tweezer will be loose.  Hold it up to the light sideways and see if there is any light coming through.  I don't know how you are trying to seat the scales.  I pad them with a piece of cardboard and use a C-clamp.  That way I can put all the pressure on the spot just above the rivet.  Best wishes.  G
 :)

de Offline matzesu

Reply #39 on: May 15, 2024, 12:39:28 PM
I did looked now: seems like there is still a gap, I press them on by putting the SAK in an Sock to secure it from scratches and then give some pressure by standing on the scale ^^

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 15, 2024, 01:02:09 PM
  That is probably why your tweezer is loose.  Standing on the SAK is not such a great idea.  You could easily crack the scales or worse bend the liners.  Borrow a vise or get a little C-clamp.  Since C-clamp might not translate to German so well, I will send a photo.  Best wishes.  G
PXL_20240515_105430888.jpg
* PXL_20240515_105430888.jpg (Filesize: 55.34 KB)

de Offline matzesu

Reply #41 on: May 15, 2024, 01:42:35 PM
I did watch an youtube video where someone said standing on it would be a good idea if you lack the hand force to push it together this way..
as i have my working shues on which ad also a bit of weight i did try this a few minutes ago, and now the tweezers on the Huntsman are fitting tight ^^
On Cybertool its also works now ..  i had light shining on booth bevor ..

Im also only 60 kg, so i its not that much force..

i know C-Clamps, but i only found quite big once at work, so i though it would be a better idea to try the standing on the knive methode again..

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #42 on: May 15, 2024, 06:00:30 PM
I've used slip joint pliers to attach new scales without much difficulty. A C-clamp is something I hadn't considered. Bench vises are probably the best tool for that job, as long as you don't tighten them too fast or too hard.
USN 2000-2006

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #43 on: May 15, 2024, 06:50:50 PM
I use a vice with some rags between the jaws to slowly press them on.  I just need to be careful that I don't Grape Ape them.  For me, a vice is the easiest option.  I wouldn't be able to press them on with my weight as I'm afraid my 205lbs (93kg) would be too much.   :D

Glad you were able to get them on though.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

Offline ComboTool

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2024, 06:58:04 PM
The Knipex plier-wrenches with the plastic jaw guards are perfect for this

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 15, 2024, 07:08:26 PM
Pliers could work.  It would be fairly easy to tell how much force you were using.  Properly padded naturally.  The C-clamp or vise has one advantage over pliers.  If you have to put a drop of epoxy or something to get the scales to stay tight, a C-clamp or vise will hold them overnight or whatever to let the glue set.  Best wishes.  G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD