Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is this an Alumnus?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Is this an Alumnus?
on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:15 PM
Sorry...meant to post in its own thread.

It is 84mm
Thanks!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Is this an Alumnus?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:17 PM
That's my understanding but I'm also a bit hazy as to where the name is noted, perhaps from an earlier catalogue.  I hope one of our experts can fill in the deatails.  Nice SAK though, whatever you want to call it. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:57:34 PM
As Gareth said, that would be what many are calling the Alumnus. I was unable to find an official source for the name, but it is been in use a while. 

If any one can confirm the name that would be great.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:51 AM
This was from sakwiki

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Alumnus

Thats all I got though...no picture on the page, but sounds right.  Thought this was a small climber but with the file instead of the blade, think Alumnus?
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:58 AM
It does look like an Alumnus, the only thing that would give me pause is that the Reamer is wrong - it should have an eye hole in it.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:33:04 AM
It does look like an Alumnus, the only thing that would give me pause is that the Reamer is wrong - it should have an eye hole in it.

Nope, that's the correct awl. That's a pre-1985 model, made before the awl got the hole. This is an early 80s model, made between 1980 and 1985.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:46 AM

Nope, that's the correct awl. That's a pre-1985 model, made before the awl got the hole. This is an early 80s model, made between 1980 and 1985.

Hey there!  Long time no see Jazzbass!

How bout you post a pic of that vintage champ I sold you way back, when you get a chance....I miss it, lol!

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:41:16 AM

Hi Jazzbass, do you have any official confirmation on the name such as a catalog or box from some market?

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:04:37 AM
A time ago I was asking about the same knife (84mm, scissors, nailfile)
on SOSAK forum. I was told that it IS alumnus.

We just have to believe it.  :)
F

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:38 AM
A time ago I was asking about the same knife (84mm, scissors, nailfile)
on SOSAK forum. I was told that it IS alumnus.

We just have to believe it.  :)
Hello mate, nice to see you here.  Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

My concern is that the SOSAK forum is the only place I've ever heard the name.  It's not that I particularly doubt the name it's just that I'd like to see some other reference to it.  It's just to satisfy my own curiosity.   :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:46 AM
Thanks! Actually I don´t know why I was not here for so long time... Maybe I was afraid to divide my personality into two forums... schizophrenia  :D .

My concern is that the SOSAK forum is the only place I've ever heard the name.  It's not that I particularly doubt the name it's just that I'd like to see some other reference to it.  It's just to satisfy my own curiosity.   :)

Oh... now I understand...
By the way is there any volunteer to write an letter to Victorinox with this question?  :D

F

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:44 PM
Thanks! Actually I don´t know why I was not here for so long time... Maybe I was afraid to divide my personality into two forums... schizophrenia  :D .

By the way is there any volunteer to write an letter to Victorinox with this question?  :D

I'd be happy to email them, but I think there might be some here with some personal connections there that might have better luck?  Let me know, please.  Thanks

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

I'd be happy to email them, but I think there might be some here with some personal connections there that might have better luck?  Let me know, please.  Thanks

I took his smiley to mean he was joking.  Refering questions on naming to Victorinox (especially on products before 2000) is like asking your cat.  Victorinox was not responsible for the naming of their knives until recently.  In this case we need a higher authority.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:02 PM

I took his smiley to mean he was joking.  Refering questions on naming to Victorinox (especially on products before 2000) is like asking your cat.  Victorinox was not responsible for the naming of their knives until recently.  In this case we need a higher authority.

Lol, go figure.  What higher authority do you think?  I have a few higher priority requests in with God, so I'd hate to bog him down with this one... :D

-Dylan Thomas

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:12 PM
I hereby declare that from this day forth it shall be known as the Manicure Golfer

:pommel:

What  >:(

???
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:10 PM
 :rofl:   :ahhh   :rofl:
SAW

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:03 AM
I hereby declare that from this day forth it shall be known as the Manicure Golfer

What  >:(

???

Well... if this knife has no name, then I name it "knyha". I hope that everybody is ok with this name.  :)
My precious...

ok... lets make a compromise - then "Knyha Golfer" :)

(If there can be Georgia, Columbia (Columbus), America (Amerigo Vespucci), then why not some small knife "knyha"?)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:17:00 AM by knyha »
F

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:15:29 PM

What  >:(

???

Well... if this knife has no name, then I name it "knyha". I hope that everybody is ok with this name.  :)
My precious...

ok... lets make a compromise - then "Knyha Golfer" :)

(If there can be Georgia, Columbia (Columbus), America (Amerigo Vespucci), then why not some small knife "knyha"?)

Can't wait to see the Victorinox Fisting_Chili!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 09:12:19 PM
Hi Jazzbass, do you have any official confirmation on the name such as a catalog or box from some market?

I looked and found nothing in my info. But that's not really saying much; almost all of the catalog and box info I have comes from SOSAK or SakWiki - so it's probably either from you or UnknownVT  :D

I did a search and the name "Alumnus" comes from VaSwiss on SOSAK, who said it was from a box/paper in his collection. IMO, that's as reputable of a source as you're going to get.

How bout you post a pic of that vintage champ I sold you way back, when you get a chance....I miss it, lol!

I'll start a thread - Champions through the years. I think I had 22 different ones at last count  ::)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:07 AM

I looked and found nothing in my info. But that's not really saying much; almost all of the catalog and box info I have comes from SOSAK or SakWiki - so it's probably either from you or UnknownVT  :D

I did a search and the name "Alumnus" comes from VaSwiss on SOSAK, who said it was from a box/paper in his collection. IMO, that's as reputable of a source as you're going to get.

I'll start a thread - Champions through the years. I think I had 22 different ones at last count  ::)

Thanks Jazzbass; I don't think it was from me, as I only entered it on SAKwiki recently due to a specific request. Probably just the SOSAK posts on this model.  I'll ask vaswiss on SOSAK, it would be interesting to know if it was NA market or otherwise.

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 08:42:53 PM
Resurrecting this old thread with some information I found. A YouTuber named NAVAJAS SUIZAS MEXICO has a video of an 80s Alumnus with the model number on the box, which is 0. 39 02. Still doesn't add much to what we know but I thought it might be good to include that in the wiki.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%