Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Down Memory Lane

Offline kent ct

Down Memory Lane
on: June 07, 2008, 11:12:01 PM
I was looking for a tool and opened an old tool box and found this.

It's a genuine Kutmaster. I bought this over 50 years ago. It cost about 5 dollars. The cheapest Case knife at the time was 10 dollars,and that was for a little one. You have to multiply that by about 8 times to get todays dollars. Kutmaster still makes this knife in the USA for $21.00 in stainless with Delrin scales. You can see how much more expensive tools were then. A black and white TV was $200, equivalent today to $800. A policeman or plumber made $100 a week. And taxes were taken out of that.

Even though tools and appliances were expensive, the really necessary things were cheap. A good house cost 15 thousand dollars. Three years of that policeman's wage. That same house is 400 thousand or more today. At a wage of 50 thousand it takes 8 years to pay off and you can not get a mortgage if your wage is that low. Food was $25 for 5 large paper bags full. Gas was 30 cents and fuel oil was 12 cents a gallon.

At the time knives were just another tool for me and I needed one to scrape old  gaskets off and to cut tubing or hoses etc. This knife looked sturdy so I bought it. You can see that one of the scales cracked and fell off. I just hammered the rivets and kept using it. Then I forgot about it until I just found it again. I would like to try my hand at restoring it. A good one to get my feet wet on rather than a SAK.

An uncle of mine who was a machinist  used to refer to the general run of American knifes as being made from hoop iron, referring to the hoops around wooden barrels. I agreed with him. It wasn't until I got my first SAK in 1996 that I began to appreciate a good knife.

You can  imagine my surprise when I checked on Ebay and saw the prices of some of those old boy scout knives. They used to give them away free with a pair of hiking boots. You could get a good vintage SAK for less.

Richard
5 06 DIMG_2580.jpg.jpg
* 5 06 DIMG_2580.jpg.jpg (Filesize: 64 KB)
5 06 DIMG_2579.jpg.jpg
* 5 06 DIMG_2579.jpg.jpg (Filesize: 60.58 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Down Memory Lane
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:25:01 AM
Fine looking folder's mate :), they carry there years very well :)

As for restoring it mate :-\, I'd give them a bit of a clean and oil, then leave them exactly as they are :). There only original once :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline kent ct

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:42:40 AM

As for restoring it mate :-\, I'd give them a bit of a clean and oil, then leave them exactly as they are :). There only original once :)

I'm glad you said that. I think you are right.

Richard

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 02:14:13 AM
Very interesting Kent. I've seen that pattern of knife before with a number of different tang stamps. Oftentimes I see them on eBay with Klein Tools markings. I wonder if Kutmaster produced the knives for Klein?

And about those blades...does the one have a scraper tip, or is that intended as a screwdriver?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:48:34 AM
I'd either leave it original or send it to a pro to restore- it's far too beautiful to take a chance on ruining as a first project knife.

The design seems reminiscent of the Electrician's Knife, which is a pattern many companys use, but Schatt & Morgan is probably the most popular these days:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:20:01 AM

I'm glad you said that. I think you are right.

Richard
Let us know what you decide to do :)

Oh and more picture's would be welcome :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline kent ct

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:07 PM
Very interesting Kent. I've seen that pattern of knife before with a number of different tang stamps. Oftentimes I see them on eBay with Klein Tools markings. I wonder if Kutmaster produced the knives for Klein?

And about those blades...does the one have a scraper tip, or is that intended as a screwdriver?

As Def said it is an electrician's knife and the blade you refer to is a screwdriver. This blade has a liner lock. What would be a cutting edge is semi-sharp and was intended to cut insulation. The notch at the base of the blade was to scrape the copper wire clean to solder and has a sharp edge flat grind. The notch higher up on the back was to provide clearance for the nail nick on the cutting blade.

I think all the prominent makers made a model like this and it was also sold to the military for use in the signal corp. Which probably explains why the various makes are pretty much identical.

There was a bit of wobble in the blade, so holding the bolster on a steel block I hit the other side with a brass hammer, away from the pivot pin. Sure enough the pin protruded further and I was able to rivet it in the tighter position. There was no evidence that the pin had been riveted. It was a simple press fit. So depending on the accuracy of that press fit they only needed to press the pivot pin in and automatically the blades had the right tension.

Richard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD