Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire lighting kit

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Fire lighting kit
Reply #510 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:27 PM
Some great pics SG and it is almost Fall and that means :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh FIRE TIME :D I love burning in the Fall as it not only feels good out with a fire but it seems a better time of year for a fire than any :dd: well except for winter I guess :D

:cheers: Yep but we're usually still under a burn ban most of the winter but if we get some white stuff I'll live dangerously and see if my winter fire technique is still up to snuff!   :salute:

Forgot to add...

That clear tube that carries the pocket bellows is perfect for carrying those tiny ring sized ranger bands. They hardly fit anything else but saw a fire starting YT and the guy used them for a starter....they really burn great but I bet it stinks!

I'm sure it smells to high.................... SG. I get used bicycle tubes from the bike shop and cut them up into ranger bands. They work for a fire starter also but hope I never have to use them for that because of the smell.

:cheers:   Definitely a last resort thing!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #511 on: September 20, 2016, 06:15:04 AM
Ferro rods came in and as advertised they are 5X1/2inch. 

I will strike them soon and add a red cedar handle.  Thats a AA battery as a comparison.   
IMG_1538 copy.jpg
* IMG_1538 copy.jpg (Filesize: 151.35 KB)
IMG_1540 copy.jpg
* IMG_1540 copy.jpg (Filesize: 128.28 KB)
IMG_1542 copy.jpg
* IMG_1542 copy.jpg (Filesize: 131.48 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #512 on: September 20, 2016, 10:07:14 AM
 :like:     Red cedar should look really nice!    :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #513 on: September 20, 2016, 04:14:42 PM
I'll snap a picture of the handles I made for smaller ferro rods I have.  Its red cedar from a piece of wood I got when hiking.  I looked a lot of custom handles then decided to go with a free form for mine.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #514 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:54 PM
I ordered some 1/2 X 5 inch ferro rods.  I'll attach my own handle so I can also attach a striker.  As soon as I receive them I'll post up pics.   

Nice kit SG  :tu:

Can't wait for the pics :tu: I love the bigger ferro rods as they throw a lot of sparks :o :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #515 on: September 20, 2016, 04:38:48 PM
Some great pics SG and it is almost Fall and that means :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh FIRE TIME :D I love burning in the Fall as it not only feels good out with a fire but it seems a better time of year for a fire than any :dd: well except for winter I guess :D

:cheers: Yep but we're usually still under a burn ban most of the winter but if we get some white stuff I'll live dangerously and see if my winter fire technique is still up to snuff!   :salute:

Forgot to add...

That clear tube that carries the pocket bellows is perfect for carrying those tiny ring sized ranger bands. They hardly fit anything else but saw a fire starting YT and the guy used them for a starter....they really burn great but I bet it stinks!

I'm sure it smells to high.................... SG. I get used bicycle tubes from the bike shop and cut them up into ranger bands. They work for a fire starter also but hope I never have to use them for that because of the smell.

:cheers:   Definitely a last resort thing!

Definitely a sure fire way when things are wet though :D If I was freezing to death I am sure I could handle the smell :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #516 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:33 PM
The longer handle was my first one.  I like both colors on this handle.  The smaller one is the heart of the wood so its all red cedar.  Ergonomically its really nice, its also friction fit so I can, with great effort take it off if I should use up the ferro rod.   
IMG_1543 copy.jpg
* IMG_1543 copy.jpg (Filesize: 141.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #517 on: September 20, 2016, 08:42:00 PM
The longer handle was my first one.  I like both colors on this handle.  The smaller one is the heart of the wood so its all red cedar.  Ergonomically its really nice, its also friction fit so I can, with great effort take it off if I should use up the ferro rod.   

Those are awesome looking Aloha :cheers: :like:

Did you just take a drill bit and drill the hole just barely undersized than what the ferro rod is :think: I would like to make a handle like this for mine as well and I have a piece of cedar just right for the job as well :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #518 on: September 20, 2016, 11:26:09 PM
Thank you.  Yes that exactly what I did.  Just barely smaller than the diameter of the ferro rod.  Its a real snug fit too so its not like it will just pull off.  I love the smell of the cedar and the look.  I was going to shape it more symmetrical but I liked the freer form ( smaller one ).  With the larger rods I just got I'm going to make handles as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #519 on: September 21, 2016, 01:48:40 AM
Those look great Aloha! Really nice work!!! I hate the tiny handles on some fire steels.

I worry about not being able to use a fire steel if my RA gets worse hence this purchase several years ago.....   Web pic as I can't find any of mine to shoot....of course.  :facepalm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013L4EJI/?tag=vegainmelb-20
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #520 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:14 AM
Thank you.  Yes that exactly what I did.  Just barely smaller than the diameter of the ferro rod.  Its a real snug fit too so its not like it will just pull off.  I love the smell of the cedar and the look.  I was going to shape it more symmetrical but I liked the freer form ( smaller one ).  With the larger rods I just got I'm going to make handles as well.

Thanks for that reply and I may try and make one myself now that I have seen some of the results and really like them :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #521 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:57 AM
Those look great Aloha! Really nice work!!! I hate the tiny handles on some fire steels.

I worry about not being able to use a fire steel if my RA gets worse hence this purchase several years ago.....   Web pic as I can't find any of mine to shoot....of course.  :facepalm:

(Image removed from quote.)

That is way nicer than most ferro rods I see for sale SG :dd: :like:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #522 on: September 21, 2016, 05:13:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

That is way nicer than most ferro rods I see for sale SG :dd: :like:

Thx Ponch!  :salute:  It's hand filling for sure. I have them put back for a rainy day.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #523 on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:44 AM
Go for it Poncho.  The handle is super easy to make and best of all you can shape it to fit your needs.  I used a dremil and sandpaper. 

Nice ferro rod SG.  I love the longer handle.  I had a hard time holding those smaller ones.  I saw these biguns and decide why the heck not.  Adding a longer handle will make it that much easier to use. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #524 on: September 21, 2016, 07:20:55 AM
Go for it Poncho.  The handle is super easy to make and best of all you can shape it to fit your needs.  I used a dremil and sandpaper. 

Nice ferro rod SG.  I love the longer handle.  I had a hard time holding those smaller ones.  I saw these biguns and decide why the heck not.  Adding a longer handle will make it that much easier to use.

Yeah, that's a monster....with the right handle it could double as a hiking stick!!!!!!  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline David

Reply #525 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:25 AM

:like:

Yeah, that's a monster....with the right handle it could double as a hiking stick!!!!!!  :D

:D

I have a couple 1/2 x 4" that I like. there have been some 1 x 6" on the bay but they want around $45 to $50 for them and I havent been able to talk myself into one at that price.     :D
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #526 on: September 21, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
1 X 6  :like:  The price also scares me off.   These were about $8 ea and I figure they should last a very very long time.  I think I'll pick up a carbide tool sharpener ( Corona or Blue Hawk ) as my striker.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #527 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
BUTANE TORCH, zippo, with canister for fuel thingy ( really cool btw) regular bic, Firesteel Bunker model, 0000 steel, wool 9 volts, Stone Tinder from eBay for Numyth Fire Piston, charcloth, magnesium, duct tape, flint and steel striker, birthday candles that won't blow out and flares, and....fatwood Mac :rofl:
Pot perm and glycerine, carbon steel knife, cotton balls w/ Vaseline!!, 81/2 x 11 inch page magnifier for solar

And I'm not even kidding one damn bit!

I'm disabled...if I get really cold...spastic...hypothermia....DEATH!! Period..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:27:13 PM by SteelRaven »
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #528 on: September 23, 2016, 02:23:18 PM
I have fun with my homemade fire piston.  It's not reliable probably since I made it  :D but its sure fun.  I keep lighters on me when I'm out camping and hiking but using the fire steel is much more fun.  I recently watched a video of a guy showing a electronic lighter ( piezo ) vs wheel n flint style when wet.  Its was interesting and while I don't have a electronic lighter to test I'm pretty confided in my wheel n flints ( standard lighters ) or my USB lighter.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:25:22 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #529 on: September 23, 2016, 02:25:56 PM
Heres one video.  Interesting to say to least. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #530 on: September 24, 2016, 07:05:43 AM
Finished one of my two red cedar handles.  It came out decent enough.  The hole will permit 550 cord to go thru.  Oh and btw this sucker shoots some serious globs of fiery metal.  I easily lit some fat wood with one scrape. 
IMG_1548 copy.jpg
* IMG_1548 copy.jpg (Filesize: 183.51 KB)
IMG_1549 copy.jpg
* IMG_1549 copy.jpg (Filesize: 165.9 KB)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:07:06 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #531 on: September 24, 2016, 07:49:05 AM
 8)     :like:
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #532 on: September 24, 2016, 10:23:07 PM

+1 That looks great Aloha :tu: Yep gonna have to make me a handle or two for some of my ferro rods definitely :cheers: Cedar is a good wood to work with anyways and that smell :dd: :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:57:57 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #533 on: September 24, 2016, 10:56:09 PM
Speaking of FERROS do you guys prefer mischmetal or standard?

I really like the Firesteel dot com stuff, but it's $$$! It'll sling globs of molten hell across your front porch, bouncing like ball lightening or something! I got the Firesteel Bunker setup in the Aluminum tube with the button compass and tender storage, wrapped in 550, built in striker.

The Chinese stuff off the bay is harder, and way cheaper, but still works ok for me.

GalliumSource on EBay has blocks of pure mag the size of half a brick, and chunks of ferro used on drag cars to make sparks on the track as well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:59:11 PM by SteelRaven »

Les Stroud.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #534 on: September 25, 2016, 06:25:42 AM
I like the soft stuff, more magnesium than iron content.  It might not last as long but I like the metal fire balls myself.  This is a cheap ferro rod but in my testing it shot some serious sparks and globs of fiery metal onto fat wood igniting it immediately.  One of the reason I got such a large fire steel so I can strike away and not worry its going to wear down any time soon.

Heres a great video explaining the types of rods. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #535 on: September 25, 2016, 10:11:22 AM
great video A! Thanks for sharing it.     :)
Hold Fast

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #536 on: September 25, 2016, 10:26:33 AM
Heres one video.  Interesting to say to least. 

Boy...Aloha...that pegged my "weird stuff o meeter"!!

Last thing I expected!

Les Stroud.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #537 on: September 25, 2016, 03:19:25 PM

+1 That looks great Aloha :tu: Yep gonna have to make me a handle or two for some of my ferro rods definitely :cheers: Cedar is a good wood to work with anyways and that smell :dd: :D

+1!!!!!  :like:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #538 on: September 25, 2016, 03:45:31 PM
Here's two of the big ones from LMF.....still can't find the earlier red stained one. :facepalm:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #539 on: September 25, 2016, 06:52:40 PM
I don't remember if I've ever posted this before. IIt's always been an annoyance to me when matchboxes fall apart or get crushed carried in the pocket. I've seen vintage Sterling silver matchbox holders...but they are expensive and not guaranteed to be sized correctly for modern boxes.

So I made my own...these are aluminum. The second one is made from an energy drink can..a bit flimsy and not ideal material to use.
matchbox02.jpg
* matchbox02.jpg (Filesize: 48.73 KB)
matchbox03.jpg
* matchbox03.jpg (Filesize: 26.3 KB)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:57:40 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99