Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The continuing saga of multi-tool storage expansion.

Chako · 10 · 1404

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Well, when I first joined this hollowed site, I only had around 20 or so multi-tools all told. That quickly expanded once I found out there were more than just 4 different Leatherman models out there. It got to the point that I was forced to move my collection from several curio cabinets, and with the group growing larger and larger, back in 2009 I bought my first tool cabinet and chest. I figured that would be all I would ever need. Considering the combo stands as tall as I am, and with plenty of storage space, I would have never thought I would need more. Well back in 2010, I bought myself another one. I was once again sure I wouldn't outgrow two of them. I mean, how much storage does anyone ever need?

In fact, here is an older thread explaining the fun I had in storage needs of my ever growing and expanding collection. I am sure a few of you have used this link as a cautionary tale for your wives...hey look at this guy. I don't have any issues compared to him!  :rofl:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,14804.msg280482.html#msg280482

Well that time has come. I have done the calculations, and even if I clean up a few drawers of current utility knives, I won't have limitless expansion. It is high time to expand the space once again.

To do this, I had to re-configure my bedroom. I gave away my parent's old drawer chest and dresser with mirror for two storage units with shelving. This is much better for my clothing, as the drawers on the old units were not deep enough for me. I was originally going to buy another similar tool cabinet and chest unit, move my corner canoe shelf over to another corner, and have 3 on one wall. Then I got to thinking about any possible weight issues. I know jokes have been made about reinforced floors, but I did the math, and thought a third on the same wall might be asking for trouble.  :think:

With that in mind, I went to the local Sears only to find they no longer make the same unit. Puzzled, I went to Canadian Tire and found no units that I even remotely liked. You see, it is important to have maximum shallow shelves to increase storage space. My older units are probably the best cabinet and chest combos I have ever seen as they have the most drawers. Discontent that I couldn't find the same units, I went online. I quickly found the same unit over at SPG International, a Canadian company. I now know that Sears just had them make black drawers with a red shell and slapped their Craftsman name on them. Ok, so Now I can get the same units with a slightly different look and a different name badge. No big deal to me.

http://www.spginternational.com/Home.aspx

However, while perusing their PDF catalogue, I noticed something that caught my eye. I quickly measured the space next to my bed on the opposite wall from the other two units, and figured it will fit right in. It is a 16 drawer 41 1/4" wide cabinet. The best part of this idea, the flat surface will be the perfect night stand table with room for a clock and my electric fan with lots of space to spare. If I need another expansion down the road, I can buy the matching top chest.

So now I should be set for a while now...but I have told myself that many times since joining MT.O that I no longer fool myself.  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:28:36 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The continuing saga of multi-tool storage expansion.
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:38 AM
I should have the new unit by month's end. Here is a photo of the two new wardrobes, which freed up a lot of space. The new unit is going against the wall where the sword stand is in the photograph.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:14 AM
I like the look of the wardrobes, Dan. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:28 PM
Thanks. Now I have something that matches the bed. That red is going to pop out though once I get the new tool cabinet in that corner. Their Classic line that gives the most shallow drawers are a bit like model T fords giving no choice on the colour availability.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:32 PM
That is a cool roll away chest Dan, tons of space for sheaths and what not in the bottom too.  Looking forward to your pics!

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:35 PM
That is a cool roll away chest Dan, tons of space for sheaths and what not in the bottom too.  Looking forward to your pics!

I agree :)
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:26:26 PM
That's a nice looking unit mate  :tu: Since I'm got this new place I'm finding storage to be a bit of an issue ... not just for knives, axes and multi's either  :-\ I'll be watching to see how you get on with it  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:02:55 AM
Just got it in the door. What a struggle to haul it up 3 steps and the door sill.

Only one problem. It did not come with foam bottom inserts. Before I use it, I will need to get some of those.  :think:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:56:50 PM
What a perfect fit!  Awesome chest.  It looks like it will hold all your stuff just fine in addition to the other two.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:34 PM
Canadian tire has the cut to size foam inserts in the tool section.  I prefer the kind that are little squares like a net, works great.   They come in big rolls in the tool section, or small rolls in the kitchen section.

This stuff, ive only got a 4 drawer for my MTs but they dont move at all using this.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:35:52 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62