Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a good multitool without any type of blade. Please help me, Multitoo.org!

Rae · 16 · 1867

Offline Rae

• New User
So I just got done talking to the security guard for my company. We're not allowed to have knives, or apparently anything that even once WAS a knife, or resembles/is supposed to have a knife/blade/weapon of any sort on it.

I even went so far as to find a place that would grind the knife on a Leatherman Squirt (my dream Multitool) down to a blank, blunt, useless square just to be a spacer, and it was denied.

What I want is something with a pair of (preferably) needlenose pliers, file, scissors and screwdrivers (both phillips and regular) on it.

Can ANYONE help me out here? I'm really frustrated, since the one multitool I'm in love with won't be allowed even if I go so far as to destroy the offensive part.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Are you really quite sure you can't carry something that once had a knife but has since been removed?

It seems a fairly odd sort of madness, and makes me suspect you were talking to some twerp at the bottom of the food chain who has been given his orders and ain't the brains or authority to budge on them.

I'd suggest the obvious "knifeless fuse" - but if it's as extreme as you say, it really is identical to a Knifed fuse, just without a knife - so, if the guy is (and it's 5am here and I didn't sleep well, so excuse my obscenity) as much of a smurf as it seems, then you probably can't get a spoon in there, as, y'know, they come from the same aisle as knives in a shop eh.

I would really recommend asking someone higher up in the world. (I don't guarantee that will help though, often the decision makers arn't all that much more evolved than the droogs who carry out their ill conceived rules)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:01:57 PM by Nomad »

Offline Biru

I don't know of a ready-made tool that fits your needs (others on here might), but Bear MGC makes a very strong multitool called the Bear Jaws with easily-replaced tools. You could order an implement to replace the knife, and install that (all that's necessary is to unscrew the axle bolt at the end of the tool). I think they still sell the parts, I haven't ordered from them in about 2 years. I mentioned them because they used to sell parts without any hassle and the parts were relatively inexpensive (I think a saw blade was about $4 or $5 US). You can sometimes find the Bear Jaws for a good price on Ebay. I've replaced the bottle openers on my Bear Jaws with other, more useful implements and have been pleased. Good Luck, Bill.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Consider carrying a collection of small, but good individual tools in a pouch, e.g.:

Small ignition pliers
Multibit screwdriver
File
Small flashlight
channellock.jpg
* channellock.jpg (Filesize: 11.98 KB)
felo1.jpg
* felo1.jpg (Filesize: 21.78 KB)
picquic-screwdrivers.jpg
* picquic-screwdrivers.jpg (Filesize: 37.94 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
So you couldn't even get a powerlock or another SOG and just swap the knife blade out then?
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
So you couldn't even get a powerlock or another SOG and just swap the knife blade out then?

+1 SOGs are sweet (do you pouch carry?), and easy to replace/switch-out the tools, just take out the knife
(you'll need their washers or something similar if you don't put something back in)
and any other tool you think you can't have in it.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Yah I would go with the sog and just substitute either the Scizzors or V Cutter for the blade. At least this way you are still getting a full size tool.
S

Offline Leatherman123

I would go for the knifeless fuse also. It has everything you need and nothing you can't have!
B

Offline Thargor

It seems a fairly odd sort of madness, and makes me suspect you were talking to some twerp at the bottom of the food chain who has been given his orders and ain't the brains or authority to budge on them.
Thats what I thought too, or else he was just making it up as he went along, you should looki into it with someone higher up.

us Offline Splat

I would check on scissors, as that may be banned too. In fact, I would ask to see something in b&w that explicitly states what is/isn't OK to carry on-campus.
Splat

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
I think your best bet is to get clarification as to what ok and whats not before you part with any cash mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Carthas

It's a tough one. The Sog Powerlock would be my first choice, but since it ships with a knife, this may not ba allowed. The Knifeless Fuse ships without a knife, but it resembles the knifed version, so it may not be allowed. Both tools would fail in this. I think you're pretty much down to Parnass' idea of carrying around small dedicated tools in some kind of pouch.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I think your only options are to customize out the naughty bits on a SOG or go with the bladeless Fuse really.  With either you could allow the security guy to examine it any time he likes and ensure that it meets with company policy. 

I agree with the above statement as well, about looking to see what's actually allowed and not allowed as you'd hate to spend the money and end up not being able to carry it after all.  Also, security people are notoriously unreliable due to a number of reasons, not just their own.  Company managers are also known to implement silly policies on a whim and expect security to deal with them as best as they can.  Other security people are hired because they are too incompetent for a promising career at McDonalds.  Having an actual, real, live policy printed out could save you a number of headaches later on.  I would speak to someone in the HR department about it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
My opinion, just get the knifeless fuse and carry it with you.  Depending on where you work they may or may not search you on a daily basis.  I'd carry it anyway, it isnt a crime if you dont get caught.  It lacks a blade and therefore is not a knife.  Try having some jackass figure out how to call it a knife if it has no blade. :)  I can just hear that one now: "he had a knife but it really wasn't a knife it was one of those metal plier tools, but it didnt have a knife so he wasn't carrying a blade." :D 

We have security guards where I work and they think they know everything.  They actually tried to get a co-worker written up for not stopping and honking his horn on his power equipment when he was at the end of an asile.  Turns out that my co-worker was not required to stop nor honk his horn at the intersection.  The guy went to the manager and the security guard got a reaming for not knowing his job.  So, that just proves that some guards (NOT ALL OF THEM) really just want trouble because it makes their job more exciting.. 

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
No knife...how about a saw?  I'd hate to get slashed with a sawblade even more than a straight blade!  But now I'm playing into the liberal fantasies of people going on rampages with the 1" knife blade on their keychain tool.

If it was me, I woulden't be able to work there if I coulden't carry a knife.  If that doesn't bother you, then bring a knifeless tool (SOG with the blade removed, or a knifeless Leatherman Fuse) to the highest ranking person you can, ask him to take a look at it, then ask him if there's anything wrong with carrying it at work.  Then again if you get a real brainchild, he might label needle nose pliers as a weapon.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Just curious, who do you work for, People for Elimination of Sharp Tools?  :o
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:43:38 AM by jzmtl »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16