Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Polishing SAK Cellidor Scales.

Offline heardrwt

Polishing SAK Cellidor Scales.
on: June 03, 2012, 10:58:56 PM
So i just finished polishing a couple of sets of Cellidor Victorinox scales. One red, One black.

I wanted to leave a record in-case anyone else new to this wanted to polish up a few knives.

I did it without removing the scales, using some clear tape to prevent polish getting into areas it shouldn't.

For anyone looking for advice on polish, i used "Novus Plastic Polish" available from The Container Store for $9.99 for a multi pack. ( 2oz No.1, 2oz No.2, 2oz No.3 and some paper cloths)

No. 3 is for medium depth scratches and leaves a slight matt finish.
Then lots of gentle rubbing with No. 2 returns each scale to a perfect glossy shine.

I would recommend using disposable kitchen paper with the No. 3, grit paste and a super soft old cotton t-shirt with the No. 2 paste.

No. 1 is just a cleaning solution, anti-static etc. Use it to clean the scales etc. before polishing and to keep them clean and dust free. It does not appear to have any polishing actions.

I managed to restore both sets to a factory grade finish.

Hope this is useful to someone.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10025445&N=&Ntt=Nexus+plastic+polish

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Polishing SAK Cellidor Scales.
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:10:30 AM
Good info :tu:

I find that Brasso works pretty well too :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:29:52 AM
Do you have and before/after pics?
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline Currahee

• Merely a figbar of your immigration.
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:25 AM
+1 for Brasso :tu:
Shoot low, they might be crawlin'

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:08 AM
Amici,
Dittos on Brasso, and thanks for the link and the heads up on the plastic polish!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ca Offline Suveges

Offline heardrwt

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:29:39 AM
Here is one before and after set. Afraid its the only one that i had the fore-thought to take a before photo of.

It came out really well, still need to get some of the white paste to rub into the lettering.
Does anyone know what is normally used? These are embossed letters.
photo 1.JPG
* photo 1.JPG (Filesize: 134.09 KB)
photo 2.JPG
* photo 2.JPG (Filesize: 130.51 KB)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:35:52 AM by heardrwt »

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:42 AM
The polished scales look beautiful! :drool:
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 04:37:10 PM
Nice job!

For the skinflints among us, toothpaste does a good job and makes your SAK minty fresh.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline 13rus

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:47 PM
Hate to resurrect an old thread but thought to add a useful tip, or at least what worked for me. Did not do much research before polishing my two celidor "basketcase worn" saks the other day so used what was handy -

Applied Meguiar's "All Metal Polysh" to an old leather belt/strop and polished/rubbed the knife on it without removing the scales. This took out most if not all of the deep scratches and now those old and very worn celidors shine like new. Mirror finishing could be done with a microfiber towel with or without the polishing compound.

I suppose a felt wheel on a Dremel and a little polishing compound would work wonders even faster.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 12:57:07 AM
Do you have and before/after pics?
Pretty much what I was thinking...

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
I renovate a lot of really trashed knives frequently. Many have pretty deep gouges as well as pocket wear (or worse).
To fill really deep gouges I use two part Epoxy, let it set overnight, then 400/600/800/1500 wet and dry, all with lots of water. Finally buff the scales with Simichrome on a soft cloth. They get to a (usually) even better than factory finish, meaning they have a deep, burnished, highly polished look to them.
No real need to remove the scales, though it can be a little easier if they are removed.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:29 AM
For those not afraid to buy some ladies' items, a nail buffing block will take out a lot of surface scratches from cellidor scales  :D
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:24 AM
I use Mother's Mag wheel polish on just about everything from SAK scales to the chrome bumper of a 1969 Chevy truck.  I have bought many user knives on eBay and brought them back to life with the stuff.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:58 AM

Offline 13rus

Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 09:42:02 AM
Oh that plastic restoration stuff tickles my fancy! Have some headlight restoration stuff at shop, suppose it is similar to this. Will get, thank you!

gb Offline Longtermsakfan

Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 06:49:32 PM
In my early days as a collector, tried various products, Solvolautosol etc.
Yes , even Brasso works. Hours of fun !!
However, unless sentimentally attached to the old scales, and their associated 'battle scars', it is far easier to scrap the damaged ones, and replace with new scales !!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 07:21:50 PM
Amici,
I had to bump this thread from the ether since on a whim, I recently picked up a Novus Plastic Polish kit for a great price and I wanted to see what it could do. Sure we all know the Victorinox secret regarding scales by now that they're replaceable so who cares if they get dinged up, just replace them!!

But for those one of a kind cases where you don't want to, this product really does the trick. I recently acquired another NOS Ranger with flouted corkscrew as well as those nice solid Cellidor scales. Well they were a little dinged up. So instead of popping off and replacing with a pair of nice, but  hollowed out Cellidor, I decided to give this product a try.

Well it worked remarkably well! So if you're in the market to refurbish a set of old scales, the Novus Plastic Polish kit will definitely do the job..

Cheers,
Serge

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 07:32:49 PM
One issue I've been having woth the polishing compound I'm using is that it splatters everywhere when I use the dremel tool with polishing ball.

Is the Novus stuff more of a paste than a liquid? I'd like to try something thicker that makes less of a mess.

The stuff I use works well, but I have to do it inside a cardboard box to avoid splatter all over the workbench.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:04:02 PM
Amici,
The Novus polish is a cream or a paste if you will that comes in 2 different consistencies. Number 3 is coarse for those scales that are really dinged up, and number 2 is of the fine type meant as a finisher, or for scales that need a bit of tweaking as you were..

I simply apply a small amount with a cotton ball, and use circular motions. Follow up using the same method with number 2, and then buffing to a nice sheen.  It really is quite remarkable, how nice they turn out..

Cheers,
Serge

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 11:50:40 PM
A bit of a necro thread, but one worth reviving, I think.

Like the OP, I've used Novus plastic cleaner/scratch remover to clean up a few celidor scales in the past. However I'd never tried to polish translucent scales. Today I pulled out a translucent blue Tinker and attempted to clean up some fairly rough scales.....

Before, shield side:

This side has some scratches and one spot, almost right on the shield, where I grabbed the SAK while I had some acetone on my fingers. Instant melt!

Before, driver side:

Again, some scratches and an acetone melt spot. Ooooops.

The spa regimen:

I went in order of 3-2-1.  Seemed only smart.

After, shield side:

Much better! This was accomplished in less than 5 minutes. The acetone thumb print is still fairly prominent, but overall a nice improvement. I think if I want to remove that thumb [rint some automotive sandpaper might be called for.

After, driver side:

Again, much better! I suspect that with a bit more time and effort, this could be made even sharper, but I was satisfied with the results.

Overall, I was really please to see the scale 1) NOT turn some cloudy, opaque color, and 2) some significant scratches get cleaned up easily. I'm giving these Novus products two big thumbs up.  :2tu:

For those of you who might have a hard time finding Novus. I got this product and a motorcycle dealer's shop. It was recommended for taking scratches out of windscreens and even face shields. So if Novus isn't available, you might try looking for a plastic polish at a place that sells helmets or plastic windscreens.

Now....sandpaper that acetone melt spot out....or leave it be...... :think:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 01:12:04 AM
A bit of a necro thread, but one worth reviving, I think.

Like the OP, I've used Novus plastic cleaner/scratch remover to clean up a few celidor scales in the past. However I'd never tried to polish translucent scales. Today I pulled out a translucent blue Tinker and attempted to clean up some fairly rough scales.....

Before, shield side:

(Image removed from quote.)

This side has some scratches and one spot, almost right on the shield, where I grabbed the SAK while I had some acetone on my fingers. Instant melt!

Before, driver side:

Again, some scratches and an acetone melt spot. Ooooops.

The spa regimen:

I went in order of 3-2-1.  Seemed only smart.

After, shield side:

Much better! This was accomplished in less than 5 minutes. The acetone thumb print is still fairly prominent, but overall a nice improvement. I think if I want to remove that thumb [rint some automotive sandpaper might be called for.

After, driver side:

Again, much better! I suspect that with a bit more time and effort, this could be made even sharper, but I was satisfied with the results.

Overall, I was really please to see the scale 1) NOT turn some cloudy, opaque color, and 2) some significant scratches get cleaned up easily. I'm giving these Novus products two big thumbs up.  :2tu:

For those of you who might have a hard time finding Novus. I got this product and a motorcycle dealer's shop. It was recommended for taking scratches out of windscreens and even face shields. So if Novus isn't available, you might try looking for a plastic polish at a place that sells helmets or plastic windscreens.

Now....sandpaper that acetone melt spot out....or leave it be...... :think:

That's a great job  :tu: :like:

I use 6 way nail buffer pads for that myself..., they do a great job and are dirt cheap. Like "budget" micromesh pads, up to very fine grits for great polish and shine  :tu:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:18:06 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:35 AM
I'll keep my eyes open for those!   :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 04:35:11 PM
Since yesterday I use a headlight restoration kit (some French cars are known for their headlights turning yellow over time) that my parents wanted to throw out.

It works great!!

2 different rubbing pads and ultra fine sanding paper, along with 2 different diamond pastes.

A shiny SAK within seconds!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 04:41:41 PM
Very nice!

Does the kit have a brand name?   :pok:

And, does it work on translucent scales....?   :think:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 05:55:41 PM
Nice, I use those nail pads for light sharpening and touching up the edges on my knives (start with 4 go to 7) . Works great and gives a good polished edge when finished. I get them at a dollar store (1$ a piece).
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
Very nice!

Does the kit have a brand name?   :pok:

And, does it work on translucent scales....?   :think:

I use a headlight polishing kit on my SAKs as well.  It's called Quixx.  Kinda pricey but works very well. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 05:22:00 PM
Brandname is Gunson on my kit.

Son of a gun I guess :shrug:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 07:10:25 PM
Brandname is Gunson on my kit.

Son of a gun I guess :shrug:

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline mikulichj

Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 01:43:22 AM
Thank you for the info here.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85