Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show your tool combos

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Show your tool combos
on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:20 AM
Rather than hijack Grant's EDC Companions thread, I figured let's have a separate thread for piccies of your favourite combos. A multitool is a toolbox condensed into a single item, but when you get everything you need in one lump it can get unwieldy, plus sometimes you need a driver separate to your pliers, right?

Here are my favourite combinations which I've found work really well for me, and yet remain pocketable which is my favourite means of carry

First up is my modded MP425+1. It's knifeless, and having a corkscrew which takes a mini Vic driver plus a 3D Phillips, all I need to carry along with it is my knife of choice. Shown here are Byrd Tern, original UKPK, CRKT Edgie and Byrd Wings Slipit

Another modded multi up next, my "Roundhouse" Kick. I find thing works exceptionally well paired up with an Original Outdoorsman. There's a little duplication between these two, but overall it's a good pairing

This little set up has had a lot of carry this year. Brushed stainless Traveller, Screwzall and Ti Quark Mini123. Sometimes I'll just carry this, but it's also the favoured companion when I'm carrying a multitool such as a Spirit, Octane, or any other tool which might raise an eyebrow from some parties

The lighter version I cooked up works well too, especially when just bumming around the house or when pocket space is limited. Gerber Dime, Stainless Wenger Pocket Tool Chest, and a 4 Sevens Preon Revo

I've said many times I have little affection for the Juice line or for sheath carry, but despite that I've been carrying a KF4 in the clip on sheath a bit lately. I've paired it up with my favourite 84mm Vic - the Golfer. Very little redundancy/duplication

My favourite 91mm SAK is probably the Yeoman. Huge amount of capability in a three layer knife, but even this benefits from a running mate - a 4" Vise Grips

A new combo for me is a Pioneer and Style PS. I've only carried this a couple of times so far, but I think I've found another winner with it.

Sometimes you need to have a few extra options on your person (or at least I do), and a more comprehensive kit that's seen quite a bit of airtime of late is my Maxped MINI EDC pouch. It needs a mini FAK and a few tie wraps in there ideally, but I'll add those later

The observant amongst you will notice that not only to all the different combo's I've shown give me a knife I can use near non-knife persons without causing a stampede, but they're all UK legal too  :D  :D

The kit I'm most proud of though, even though it might not have as much carry as some of the other options above is still my Micro Tool Tin. Despite having a few knife blades in it, I'll occasionally chuck a traditional slippy blade in the pocket too. Here it is in it's current format

Even if I'm carrying a full sized multi, I'll nearly always have complimentary items too. Sometimes it might just be a light or maybe a pen, but sometimes it'll be one of the above tool clusters

So what combos work for YOU? Lets hear them, and remember ...

:worthless:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Show your tool combos
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:56 PM
My favouite tool combo at the moment is David Cameron,and George Osborne.

Sorry but the question was begging for a punch line.

In MT terms?

Vic DofE and LM Sideclip

Vic SwissChamp and LM Minitool

Vic Astronaut/Explorer and LM modded Fuse/Gerber MP425

Vic Champion Plus and LM KF4

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:28 PM
Swisstool Spirit and Vic classic

Leatherman Juice S2 and Sanrenmu 401

Leatherman Skeletool CX and Vic SwissChamp

Leatherman Juice XE6 and Boker Keycom

Leatherman Charge TTi and Vic Manager

Vic Climber and Leatherman Squirt PS4

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:00 PM
50ft-trad
I am digging those combos

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:48 PM
Cheers Scrappy  :D Took a bit of trial and error to get something I was happy with, but I'm enjoying using them all  ;)

Leatherman Skeletool CX and Vic SwissChamp
(Image removed from quote.)

The Skeletool didn't work well for me personally due to the ergos, but I can see that pair working very well for the Skelephiles :tu:

Vic DofE and LM Sideclip

That's an interesting pairing John  :salute: I'm still on the fence about the D of E blade, but they sound like they'd compliment each other quite nicely  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:29:26 PM

Vic DofE and LM Sideclip

That's an interesting pairing John  :salute: I'm still on the fence about the D of E blade, but they sound like they'd compliment each other quite nicely  :tu:

Al I know where your your coming from with the DofE blade,but its the most sheeple friendly combo I think I have(well til I mod my Kick anyway,but the Sideclip will still have more class),and tends to be used if a) I;m going into London for non work purposes,or b)cant be bothered for what ever reason to carry a pouch.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:41 AM

Vic DofE and LM Sideclip

Al I know where your your coming from with the DofE blade,but its the most sheeple friendly combo I think I have(well til I mod my Kick anyway,but the Sideclip will still have more class),and tends to be used if a) I;m going into London for non work purposes,or b)cant be bothered for what ever reason to carry a pouch.

Fair play mate  :tu:

BTW - Nice to see someone else using the Mini in a combo too  :D :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
Will have to take some pics soon, but what I tend to go for is the lightest way of covering my needs without redundancy.

I always have a Rambler on my keys unless I have swapped it for the Style PS which I also really like.

So to compliment that, I tend have something larger like a 91mm SAK or a KF4. Current favourite SAK is a Special Mechanic.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 05:08:45 PM
Will have to take some pics soon, but what I tend to go for is the lightest way of covering my needs without redundancy.

I always have a Rambler on my keys unless I have swapped it for the Style PS which I also really like.

So to compliment that, I tend have something larger like a 91mm SAK or a KF4. Current favourite SAK is a Special Mechanic.

I noticed that one in one of your other posts a while back and had to wiki it  :D Neat little tool, and one I'd not come across before  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:18:17 PM
Same EDC combo I've had for a while now...

SOG Crosscut
Sheffield 12010
Victorinox OHO Trekker

Crosscut because the single most used tool I need are scissors, and the SOG's are the best in the industry, IMO. It's eyeglass screwdriver is also a necessity for me. Tweezers are also a bit better than Vic's. I carry the Sheffield for the pliers (I've never needed a heavier pair in EDC), and the small phillips is excellent. It seems to do everything, but nothing particularly well. Even that tiny can opener works... terribly slow, but it works. The Trekker is primarily for the OHO blade, but the flathead is also my go-to general pry tool.

50-ft Trad: I recently picked up 4" locking pliers to try in tool combinations as well. The problem is, that for almost the same weight, I could carry a Leatherman juice, so I'm not sure the locking ability is worth it for the dedicated tool.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:56:38 PM by Lynn LeFey »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

I noticed that one in one of your other posts a while back and had to wiki it  :D Neat little tool, and one I'd not come across before  :tu:

It's just such a useful little thing with so little girth ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Show your tool combos
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
Here's a few.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:42:05 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:27:51 PM
 My favorite combo
Dennis

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:12 PM
OK so heres the pix of my fav combos

Swisschamp and LM Mini

DofE and Sideclip

Champion Plus and KF4

Astronaut and MP425

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:38 PM
And now that my browser has decided to work again...

Astronaut and modded Fuse

Although I doubt Eric needs any more kudos,I have to make the point of just how flexable my custom Skinth is

Lastly heres a line up of my usual duty SAKs

In order,SuperTinker,Explorer,Delux Tinker,Astronaut,and Champion Plus

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:10 PM
My little pocket carry,

Along with my modified Altoids carry

My custom made holster for my flashlight/multi-tool,

And lastly my murse, too may pics to post all,
  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 12:55:52 AM
Splendid pics guys  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:47 AM
Just revisiting this thread, and I must say I'm loving these two chip  :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Show your tool combos
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 02:22:26 AM

Thanks, I have shelved the ppp/compact combo due to the gears i find are genuinely uncomfortable on your hands when using the drivers. But the paratool/pruner pioneer combo I keep in my versapack and are my actual EDC when out and about.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 02:41:00 AM

Thanks, I have shelved the ppp/compact combo due to the gears i find are genuinely uncomfortable on your hands when using the drivers. But the paratool/pruner pioneer combo I keep in my versapack and are my actual EDC when out and about.

I upgraded from PPP to Paladin PT-510. Same format, but with nicer plier heads and gear covers. Not easy to track down on these shores, but well worth the investment  ;)

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Show your tool combos
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:47 AM

I upgraded from PPP to Paladin PT-510. Same format, but with nicer plier heads and gear covers. Not easy to track down on these shores, but well worth the investment  ;)

I will have to keep an eye out as I really like the smooth action on opening the ppp and the convenience compared to the way the paratool unfolds, it's just those gears. And due to the fact I do manual labour for a living my hands are far from hands that do dishes.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:24:23 AM by chip »

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 08:28:24 AM
Love these kinda combo's!

Favorite combination of mine is a Spirit (plus), Swisscard (lite), and little Director (stainless).

I pair that for the blade with an alox SAK of choice, like a Solo or Woodsman, or a small folder.

A pretty combo that I use is alox Deluxe Tinker, Swisscard, alox Rambler, and a small folder.

Sorry no pics this time! 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:50:02 AM by Waterlander »

us Offline padowser

Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:07 AM
I buy the shears here: http://countycomm.com/premshears.html

I use them every day, much safer than a blade for opening packages.
2012-08-05 21.34.25.jpg
* 2012-08-05 21.34.25.jpg (Filesize: 44.8 KB)

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:11 AM
This is the nightmare combo for the hourly wage guys at work. The 3 MT's are rotated during the work week. MUT wrench and the 11 in 1 really save unwanted trips to the tool bag or the truck. Having the MUT wrench has proved to be invaluable a few times during the first week of use. A few eyes were rolled too,as a trip to the service truck has the inpending smoke break squashed. :whistle:
7722130918_1316340c81_c.jpg
* 7722130918_1316340c81_c.jpg (Filesize: 261.56 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 08:59:46 AM
This is my daily edc, ppp ,tinker and micra,

and my work edc also with tinker in my pocket

and Cak on my keychain.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:02:37 AM by Zed »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 05:46:50 PM
Great thread!   :tu:

Here's my pretty much always on me, EDC; an Executive and my HCRI Preon 1.

These are always in the MaxPed Double Sheath on the side of my Timbuk2 messenger (EDC) bag; a Work Champ, and a Zebralight SC60w.  I occasionally swap out the WC for my CT41 or my CT Lite.

This is my perfect hiking/camping/backpacking combo; my Wenger PER Ranger 179, and my Juice S2.  I really like the tool compliment of these two together, and there's very little overlap between the two.  I also tend to EDC the S2 in the little LM Juice clip-on holster as well.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:31 PM
I know this is a slight bit of thread necro, but I thought this was the best place for it.

I'm always trying different pairings of small tools, and came across this today.

My Small Tinker (an old well-loved model I got in a trade), and a Leatherman Style PS.

I would really prefer a blade larger than what's offered on most keychain tools, and the Small Tinker offers that, plus drivers that are very robust, in comparison to most keychain options. The pliers on the Style PS are better than a SAK with a plier layer, and the small fold-out scissors are actually very good. I think the only tool redundancy are tweezers.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:59 PM
My minimum combo. These are bonded forever.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 11:16:37 PM

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:22:59 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:26:19 PM
This is the nightmare combo for the hourly wage guys at work. The 3 MT's are rotated during the work week. MUT wrench and the 11 in 1 really save unwanted trips to the tool bag or the truck. Having the MUT wrench has proved to be invaluable a few times during the first week of use. A few eyes were rolled too,as a trip to the service truck has the inpending smoke break squashed. :whistle:

Always have the Klein huh !
CHEERS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44