Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket watch recommendations?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Pocket watch recommendations?
on: June 17, 2012, 11:11:46 PM
I've been thinking about getting a pocket watch on and off for a while now but I don't know what's worth having and what's not. Ideally I'm after a full hunter so the crystal is protected, and nothing delicate. I pocket carry everything and it wouldn't be in the pocket alone, so there'd be plenty of other junk clattering against it all day. I'm not looking at spending big money as it would have a rough life with me, but obviously I don't want a cheapo single use chuckaway piece of crap either

I'm specifically looking for a pocket watch rather than a 'biner watch, and it wouldn't be kept on a chain or dangler either. I need to avoid entanglement risks which is why I don't wear a wrist watch.

Any suggestions/advice anyone?  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Pocket watch recommendations?
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:49:35 PM
For the time being I decided to order one of these to try, as I figured I could attach other items rather than clip to belt loop.

A bit different to a paracord lanyard, eh?  ;)  :rofl: Even if it doesn't work out for daily carry, it was cheap enough not to cry about, and it'll tell me if pocket carry works for me without having spent bigger money.

Still looking for "the right" watch though

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:44:21 PM
I haven't worn a pocket watch in 30 years...

Have you given any thought to stopping into an experienced jeweler's shop? Even if you don't want to spend that kind of money, they usually can fit you to the right watch.

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:07:24 PM
This Victorinox pocket watch comes with a nice little pocket to protect it. Nice user watch, I carry it often. Also, I've been lusting after this one for a few years: http://www.manufactum.de/schweizer-taschenuhr-1952-p1450526/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
I haven't worn a pocket watch in 30 years...

Have you given any thought to stopping into an experienced jeweler's shop? Even if you don't want to spend that kind of money, they usually can fit you to the right watch.

I think if I found what I wanted in such a place it would be out of budget ... or I'd stretch beyond my budget to buy it because I liked it, not carry it for fear of breaking it, and then not be able to afford one I'd carry  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I need something that can have a rough life and me not get too sentimental over it if it gets broken. I'd like something nice, but common sense keeps telling me to rein it in and stay practical

This Victorinox pocket watch comes with a nice little pocket to protect it. Nice user watch, I carry it often. Also, I've been lusting after this one for a few years: http://www.manufactum.de/schweizer-taschenuhr-1952-p1450526/

That Vic's nice - very nice  :drool: but would prob be about twice what I want to pay. I don't know, maybe I'm not being realistic in my budget. The other is WAY out of my league  :D I'm still leaning towards the full hunter style too  :think: I actually have a Vic Timekeeper, which is about the best pocket watch you can buy probably  :P but that sits at home in a box so I don't wreck it  :-\

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:01 PM

I think if I found what I wanted in such a place it would be out of budget ... or I'd stretch beyond my budget to buy it because I liked it, not carry it for fear of breaking it, and then not be able to afford one I'd carry  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I need something that can have a rough life and me not get too sentimental over it if it gets broken. I'd like something nice, but common sense keeps telling me to rein it in and stay practical

There is always the danger of being attracted to something shiny :D But you could always give your wallet to your mate and go in unarmed :D

Seriously though, a good jeweler will likely have at least 30 pocket watches under £100, including some heavy duty ones made for workmen :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:37 PM

There is always the danger of being attracted to something shiny :D But you could always give your wallet to your mate and go in unarmed :D

Seriously though, a good jeweler will likely have at least 30 pocket watches under £100, including some heavy duty ones made for workmen :tu:

Worth asking the question I suppose  :salute: I wonder if pawn/antique shops might be worth a look too  :think:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:57 PM
Worth asking the question I suppose  :salute: I wonder if pawn/antique shops might be worth a look too  :think:

Sounds like a good idea :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:21 PM

you can never be sure how accurate they will be though. whats wrong with a tough wrist watch? and a pocket watch for those fancier occasions
I

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:38:22 AM
With a wrist watch comes the chance of degloving, having an arm torn off or being dragged into heavy machinery and flailed around at several hundred RPM while your body disintegrates and parts of you are strewn across a 15,000 square foot workshop. I'll take the chances of losing a couple of seconds a day  ;)

Besides, after going so long without wearing a watch on my wrist, it annoys the life out of me. I've actually got one of those automatic wrist watches, had it for years. By the time it's charged up and ready to wear, I'm ready to take a lump hammer to it  :D :D :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:54:09 AM
you can never be sure how accurate they will be though.

True, but most watch shops and watch makers offer a "tune-up" service at a reasonable price. Usually comes with a new clock spring (or battery, depending...), cleaning and lube, and accuracy adjustment. The price does go up if you need a new crystal, or any other replacement parts though.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:08:07 PM
You could also buy a digital stopwatch, if you just want a practical pocket watch which is cheap, waterproof and pretty robust. I don't know if a digital stopwatch without ordinary time/calendar mode even exists.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 04:47:17 PM
You could also buy a digital stopwatch, if you just want a practical pocket watch which is cheap, waterproof and pretty robust. I don't know if a digital stopwatch without ordinary time/calendar mode even exists.

OOOOH Interesting! Never even considered that, I'll take a look  :salute:  :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:41:57 AM
The Journeyman watch arrived and I've been carrying it the last couple of days

I'm liking the watch and hating the belt clip. Personally I really dislike how it looks clipped to a belt loop, but the clip is huge for pocket carry so I'll be taking a hacksaw to it and putting a chunky split ring through the leather loop. The magnetic clasp locks the watch closed very securely, and I think that this should age well after some pocket carry. I've not checked it to the second as I'm not super fussy on accuracy, but no noticeable loss or gain since I set it.

I decided to carry on having a shop around though. I figured second hand and pawn shops will just lead to an item of unknown quality, a bricks and mortar jewellers buy would be too pricey to be wrecked by keys and coins, and a digital stopwatch would get too scratched. I had a budget in mind of how much I wanted to pay, and found a black ion plated watch online by Royal London ... and bottled out. Unknown maker, and wasn't confident in how resilient the plating would be ... so I carried on shopping.

Ryan's fault  :twak: :twak: ... well, kind of. He suggested I get a wrist watch and just have a pocket watch for "best". Me being me I did exactly the reverse  :D :D :D

I've ended up going with Sekonda, a cheap brand but one I've been happy with in the past back when I wore watches regularly. For the price of the black plated unknown maker, I've ordered a chronograph model on a leather strap, a titanium watch on metal strap, and a simple stainless cased half hunter. Not sure how I'll take to wearing a wrist watch again, but the choice of straps might help and both of these should work well enough with either a suit or jeans. The pocket watch should take some abuse without spoiling, and all three of these are cheap enough to not prompt me to self flagellate should any of them get wrecked.

Damn MTo syndrome ... if in doubt ... direct the sellers to queue up in an orderly fashion and assume the position  :dwts:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 08:02:44 AM
Damn MTo syndrome ... if in doubt ... direct the sellers to queue up in an orderly fashion and assume the position  :dwts:

:rofl:

Do tell us how you like the different watches after carrying them for a while. Also, I liked the simplicity of the Journeyman. I usually don't like a date display on an analog watch, and this one had a nice and clean design without clutter.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:59 AM

:rofl:

Do tell us how you like the different watches after carrying them for a while. Also, I liked the simplicity of the Journeyman. I usually don't like a date display on an analog watch, and this one had a nice and clean design without clutter.

Will do  :tu: The wrist watches are a little more cluttered, particularly the chronograph, but still retain a clean look somehow. One of the things I look for in a watch or clock is being easy to read. There's so many nice ones don't have the crisp contrast, which is one of the reasons I ended up with Sekonda - they seem to get that bit right at least

Offline lacax

• New User
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 09:10:40 PM
I've been thinking about getting a pocket watch on and off for a while now but I don't know what's worth having and what's not. Ideally I'm after a full hunter so the crystal is protected, and nothing delicate. I pocket carry everything and it wouldn't be in the pocket alone, so there'd be plenty of other junk clattering against it all day. I'm not looking at spending big money as it would have a rough life with me, but obviously I don't want a cheapo single use chuckaway piece of crap either

I'm specifically looking for a pocket watch rather than a 'biner watch, and it wouldn't be kept on a chain or dangler either. I need to avoid entanglement risks which is why I don't wear a wrist watch.

Any suggestions/advice anyone?  :cheers:
Hello. I'm new here. Can someone suggest a good affordable pocket watch?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 09:57:57 PM
Welcome!

I’ve heard good things about Gotham pocket watches, but I don’t actually own one.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 01:55:31 AM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

I have heard good stuff about Gotham as well but don't have one personally  :salute: I know we have at least one member here maybe more that has one from them :tu:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 12:45:33 PM

Depends where you live. In the UK, the only new watch I’d consider is made by Mondaine. Modern, clean looking, about £220.

If you’re happy with a used watch, there are tens of thousand of good quality chronometer-grade railroad watches out there. I’d look at Hamilton.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2023, 09:40:24 PM
I have a Caravelle from US which is nice. My favourite is a Soviet mechanical hunting watch though. And that Mondaine above is iconic.

Στάλθηκε από το 22081212UG μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD