Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox design contest

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Victorinox design contest
on: June 19, 2012, 08:29:02 AM

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Re: Victorinox design contest
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:24 AM
Very cool! Thanks for the link, I'll get my crayons out :D
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:26 AM
Ugh... I'm disappointed to be perfectly honest...  I'd hoped it'd be something where you could design a knife with a particular tool layout, not just a scale pattern.   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:10:13 AM
Ugh... I'm disappointed to be perfectly honest...  I'd hoped it'd be something where you could design a knife with a particular tool layout, not just a scale pattern.   :facepalm:

That's because you're not a true "artiste", merely a lowly artisan. (sniff)    :D

Karl

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:54 PM
But what is art?   :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:56:24 PM

Being a man of science that's easy.  Art is something wherein its intrinsic value is inversely proportional to its perceived value.  :D

I also would love to see a design contest centered around a new component or configuration!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:48 AM

Being a man of science that's easy.  Art is something wherein its intrinsic value is inversely proportional to its perceived value.  :D

I also would love to see a design contest centered around a new component or configuration!
That's a great definition!  I hadn't thought of that.  Being a man of science, I actually try to avoid talking about definitions of art... it makes my brain hurt.   :facepalm:

I'm firmly in Steve Martin's camp when it comes to understanding art.  "Talking about art, is like dancing about architecture."

Okay, my thread derailing skills firmly in play, let me start with a few simple proposals; take an Explorer, and add:

1) A saw layer; Archaeologist.

2) A pliers layer; Inventor.

3) Pliers and file layer, replace corkscrew with phillips driver; Master Mechanic.  (This gives it a phillips in both orientations!)

Add a bit holder and driver layer to a Compact; the Cyber Compact.  (A little uninspired, I admit, but certainly apropos.)

bg Offline fenofedd

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:19:31 PM
Tell me how is this painting http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/No._5%2C_1948.jpg
worth 159 million $
DM HG

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:55 PM
Tell me how is this painting http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/No._5%2C_1948.jpg
worth 159 million $

Its only worth what someone will pay.  If some moron pays millions for lines on canvas to feel elite, who are we to stop him.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:55:46 PM
worth 159 million $

Its only worth what someone will pay.  If some moron pays millions for lines on canvas to feel elite, who are we to stop him.
That's why I quoted Steve Martin above...

There's no accounting for taste.

Let me get back to attempting to derail this thread from art, to SAK design...

Let's hear ideas for new and interesting tool compliments!  Vic or Wenger, it doesn't matter!  Maybe even a SAK with tools from both combined into a single knife! 

Talk amongst yourselves people!!!   :whistle:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15:13 PM
worth 159 million $

I am FAR from a devotee of the visual arts, however, I was struck by how much more striking and inspiring many of the famous works are in person than when viewed in a photograph or online.

This was especially true for me regarding Van Gogh, Matisse, the sculptor Rodin and some of the abstract artists who's names escape me.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:22:56 PM
worth 159 million $

I am FAR from a devotee of the visual arts, however, I was struck by how much more striking and inspiring many of the famous works are in person than when viewed in a photograph or online.

This was especially true for me regarding Van Gogh, Matisse, the sculptor Rodin and some of the abstract artists who's names escape me.
One of the museums in San Francisco has Rodin's original of The Thinker in their courtyard.  It is indeed much more impressive in person.  They also have a few smaller original Van Gogh's... they too are much more impressive in person.

Design, people, design!!!  Ideas for new tool compliments!  Andalé!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:38:49 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:06 PM
OK, I'll bite. Here's my attempt at a heresy. I want a three layer 91 mm with middle layer being a long, thin flat screwdriver in the entire length of the layer. The tip should be shaped approximately like the Classic SD screwdriver, but the body thicker and stronger to make it more useful as a probe. It should have no file or anything like that, since that makes it less useful for poking and prodding. cm and inch markings engraved on the sides would be practical though. They should start from the tip, to make it easy to measure tyre threads and stuff like that.

The problem I want this to solve is the fact that it is often hard to reach the screws on e.g. electronics. Second, I want a good probing tool without any abrasive or too sharp edges.

It would appeal to the same minority as those of us who think the fish scaler is actually useful. (Not for fishing, though. :) )

The corkscrew should be replaced by a nice, round marlinspike. Nothing like the horrid sacking needle on the 93 mm series, I want something that would be actually useful for ropework.

Now, to compensate for the lack of an eyeglass screwdriver (by removing the corkscrew), I want an eyeglass screwdriver as a backmounted tool in the layer for the long, narrow screwdriver described in the first paragraph.

So, Spartan + marlinspike + slim screwdriver/probe - corkscrew + backmounted tiny screwdriver.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:04 PM
worth 159 million $

One of the museums in San Francisco has Rodin's original of The Thinker in their courtyard.  It is indeed much more impressive in person.  They also have a few smaller original Van Gogh's... they too are much more impressive in person.

Design, people, design!!!  Ideas for new tool compliments!  Andalé!!!

There are twenty-some original casts of "The Thinker", with cast #1 in the Rodin Museum in Paris. I agree with you about art generally being more impressive in person. I never cared for Monet's "Haystacks" series until I saw a half-dozen in a single room at the Chicago Art Institute. Incredible light.

Karl

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD