Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your EDC "Comfort Zone"

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Re: Your EDC "Comfort Zone"
Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 07:50:47 AM
I ordered a couple of small mil-spec organizers on ebay. As I said before, my plan is the throw together some EDC packages to fit different situations...based on the plan for the day. Basically, I just want to have something in the car or bike that I can grab if I need to. I have a small camera case here that I have been using for that purpose this week. The pen and paper has proven handy several times and the flashlight was definitely welcome a few nights ago when I had to add some coolant to my vehicle. The tank on my vehicle (2013 Ford Escape) is way back by the firewall so it is nearly impossible to see. Although I do not smoke, I added and small butane torch and I have room for my Swisstool spirit and a Victorinox Executive. I like packing the executive because I can trade out my regular knife for it if I am going into a place where larger knives will get you some nasty looks. I also included a small plastic capsule with a spare aaa battery in it.

I need to add some more bandages. I had to use one a few days ago when I cut my thumb. I guess the only other thing I need to add is a small sewing kit.

Trust me, I am not trying to sound like I am putting a survival kit together, I am just thinking of those little day to day items that might be very welcome in certain situations.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 08:22:51 PM
Trust me, I am not trying to sound like I am putting a survival kit together, I am just thinking of those little day to day items that might be very welcome in certain situations.

The "survival knife" is the one you have with you when you need a knife to save  your life in an unexpected situation. Likewise, a "survival kit" is to improve your odds in an unexpected situation, if not provide the tools needed to survive and even thrive. When you expect the unexpected, and carry your basic tools at all times, it isn't a "survival kit". It is a "tool kit", because you're using it to turn the "not if but when" event into something rather less hazardous.

Small sewing kit- got dental floss? If so, add a few needles. A white bodied ball point pen (Bic might not be the best pen, but the best body) is a great small needle case. Pull the ink, figure out how long, cut it, and put the cap back on. Or tape them to a card, maybe with some thread wound around it. Or to a flashlight, secured with two to six layers of tape.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 11:33:36 PM
I am a firm believer on being prepared...not just for me but for someone else who does need it.   :cheers:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 02:13:29 AM
Vic Spirit and Maglite Solitaire LED is all day every day for me. It doesn't change much..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 02:56:40 PM
Great topic for discussion.

I've always stayed well within my comfort zone for EDC, which has been a SAK Soldier for 98% of the last 12 years.  It makes me somewhat boring on the MTo forum.   :( 

Aside from tools:

I EDC'ed a pocket calendar/notebook and a pen in the days before cell phones. 

I had a flashlight on my keys until a few years ago when it stopped working.  I dont remember what kind it was - but it had the button on the tail, and one brightness level.
 Now with the dozens and dozens of options, I've gotten frustrated so many times while trying to make a decision, that I just haven't brought a flashlight back into my EDC.    :ahhh I begrudgingly use my cell phone light in a pinch. 

On the topic of knives and tools, I find it impossible to leave my comfort zone.  I stopped EDC'ing a folder when I lost a nice one, which coincided with getting a job that "needed" a multitool in an area where carrying a folder raised eyebrows anyhow. After many years with a Leatherman, my EDC has been the same SAK Solider for 10 years, after which it has been alternated with the Compact over the last two years.  The choice depends on what I'm doing that day - and funnily enough it seems that if I think I will use anything other than the blade, I bring the Compact.

When I'm out in the woods, I will bring a bigger SAK, but the Solider is still in the pocket. 

To me - although obsessing about EDC gear is great fun, my personal EDC is... what I carry every day, rain or shine, woods or city.  There's very little variety to it - it's not something that I even want to "change up" once in a while.

I started a thread about how I got to that point. Please do have a look and share your story...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83211.msg2042080.html#msg2042080

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 03:06:27 PM
I change...often daily, sometimes several times per day, circumstances depending.

Security zones excepted, I will almost always have a Victorinox and some sort of pry tool, usually the Brewzer.

The knife will change depending on what I think may come up during the next time period, and sometimes I select something completely different from a SAK and go traditional folder or fixed, sometimes with an inherited vintage piece.

I’ll post pics of some of my older knives at some point!

For me, “EDC” doesn’t mean carrying the same thing every day, it’s just a description of the fact that I am prepared.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 03:11:38 PM
I dont know what it is but talking edc and going thru scenarios is really fun.  My off day carry is and has been stable yet  a work in progress.  I like to have a few basic items with me when I leave the house.  As with many it depends on what I am doing on my off day that dictates what I want to carry.  If I am just running errands then the most basis is carried.  If I am working on my house and will make trips to the box store for supplies I'll carry additional items.  At home I like to carry certain things as well.  There are times when I carry an item/s just for fun. 

What I've found is theres no getting away from the fact that I really like tools and having a decent collection its does become hard to just pick and go. 

Around the house is always a SAK, light, fixed blade.

Running errands I'll keep with the same idea SAK and light but I usually add my Squirt.  No fixed blade.  I add small FAK and pen and pocket wrench 2. 

Working on home and trips to DIY store I still carry SAK and light but I'll add a MT, pen, pad of paper, FAK, and pocket wrench 2. 

At anytime I will add a folder to each of these carries.  I always have my Manager on my keys which I always forget to mention.  Heres my journey  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71074.0.html     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 06:17:59 PM
I agree..working out scenarios is a lot of fun. Plus, that kind of brainstorming can bring up things you may not have thought of before.

We all have been out and about at some point and thought, "I wish I had brought ________."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 06:35:27 PM
Its easy to decide what to carry on a work day.  My off day carry however,  :dunno:.  There are times when I want a kit that attempts to consider scenarios that I've run into.  Then there are times when I want the very basics ( for me ).  Yet there are times when I just carry items I like and don't care if use them or not.  Its just nice to carry certain tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 10:54:55 PM
I have categories that I always carry at least one of. They are as follows:

One hand opening knife
Traditional knife
Multitool or SAK, sometimes both
Bright flashlight
Fire of some kind (lighter or steel)
Self defense tool

Most days recently my OHO knife is a cold steel AK47 in S35vn and my trad folder is a GEC 48 improved trapper. Flashlight has been the Olight M2R pro ever since the release date. I have been having trouble uploading photos recently, but I will give it a shot when I get home and have access to a real computer.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 01:08:53 AM
There is a lot of goodies I have in my EDC prepack. Really though, I GOTTA have my SAK and flashlight with me at the very least.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%