Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool Bags!

Biru · 33 · 5594

Offline Biru

Tool Bags!
on: July 04, 2012, 06:37:45 PM
In the past couple of years I've been given three tool bags by relatives and coworkers. So today I decided to try one to do some quick electrical work nearby. I didn't even get it out of the house before I took it back and got my faithful old Keter multitsection toolbox ( a brilliant piece of Israeli engineering, if I may say!).

I don't get these. Am I supposed to be ole Doc Adams on "Gunsmoke"? I come in carrying my tools in a bag and proceed to waste ten minutes fumbling through it just to get a needlenose plier? It's not only that all my tools are junked together, but it can't be good for the more delicate tools to be jostling around with the big guys. Couple that with the chance of sticking yourself with something sharp. At least with a "tool bucket" I can bleed into it.  :D

Do you guys use these bags, or what?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Tool Bags!
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:52:47 PM
In the past couple of years I've been given three tool bags by relatives and coworkers. So today I decided to try one to do some quick electrical work nearby. I didn't even get it out of the house before I took it back and got my faithful old Keter multitsection toolbox ( a brilliant piece of Israeli engineering, if I may say!).

I don't get these. Am I supposed to be ole Doc Adams on "Gunsmoke"? I come in carrying my tools in a bag and proceed to waste ten minutes fumbling through it just to get a needlenose plier? It's not only that all my tools are junked together, but it can't be good for the more delicate tools to be jostling around with the big guys. Couple that with the chance of sticking yourself with something sharp. At least with a "tool bucket" I can bleed into it.  :D

Do you guys use these bags, or what?

Pictures please  :tu:

And you can mix plaster/filler up in the bucket when you are not using it for blood   :D
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Biru

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:20:44 PM
It's pretty much like this one. Inside the lower section there are sockets for holding your most-used driver bits at the ready and the bottom's tray is designed to maximize storage room in the lower half. The top half makes an excellent electrician/tech quick-go box. I keep my diagnostic tools in the front organizer (it has adjustable sections,  locks into place and has never once in 10+ years accidentally released).  The tray is deep yet there's quite a lot of room inside.

It appears that Keter uses the same technology as evident in Snoopy's doghouse. The inside appears to store much more than the outside would lend one to think available.

When I first received it as a gift, I figured it would last a week given its plastic construction. It has survived concerts, racetracks, theaters, churches, festivals, graduations and a really fat jazz guitarist who used it as a makeshift stool until I caught him and gave him the boot.  ;)

Cheers!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:26 PM
I use a plastic tote for everyday stuff  :)

and these for the big gear, great as a work bench or seat  :salute: you are not meant to stand on them but they take my weight  ;)

Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:13 PM
I do use a small canvas bag with just a few simple tools in it; hammer, adjustable spanner, small selection of screwdrivers, cable cutters etc.  You are right though, put to many things in there an it can be a pain to find stuff.

http://www.lasoutdoors.com/partnumber.asp?cid=30927&pnid=312370
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:46:00 PM
It's pretty much like this one. Inside the lower section there are sockets for holding your most-used driver bits at the ready and the bottom's tray is designed to maximize storage room in the lower half. The top half makes an excellent electrician/tech quick-go box. I keep my diagnostic tools in the front organizer (it has adjustable sections,  locks into place and has never once in 10+ years accidentally released).  The tray is deep yet there's quite a lot of room inside.

It appears that Keter uses the same technology as evident in Snoopy's doghouse. The inside appears to store much more than the outside would lend one to think available.

When I first received it as a gift, I figured it would last a week given its plastic construction. It has survived concerts, racetracks, theaters, churches, festivals, graduations and a really fat jazz guitarist who used it as a makeshift stool until I caught him and gave him the boot.  ;)

Cheers!

(Image removed from quote.)

I have one just like this in my shed, i find them a little wobbly at times but handy for wheeling your gear around in as both my other tool boxed weight a ton and im getting old  :D

Offline Biru

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 04:25:36 AM
Amen, brother! Mine is very solid. If I have one gripe it's that you can load so much into it that the rolling doesn't make you aware of the weight until you have to carry it by the handle! That pic doesn't illustrate another nice feature, that being a cord caddy on the backside. It does show the tie points for those stretch ties to attach even more junk onto the box. I've been very pleased with it.

I really like the looks of those bags. I'm going to check out that website when I sign off here. I'd hate to put tools into them!  :)

I want to get one of those roll around tool caddies for my cables. I think they'd make a great gig companion for playing out.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:51 AM
I don't know about bags, but in certain fields, a belt is indispensable, like for a framer or an iron worker, who's always moving around the job site. 

What do they look like inside?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:00:09 AM
i use QLC tool bag. Got it at Home Depot.

i use the stanley fatmax bag for power tools and tech tools. Klein bags for odds and ends/ sockets

:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:30:36 AM
i use QLC tool bag. Got it at Home Depot.

i use the stanley fatmax bag for power tools and tech tools. Klein bags for odds and ends/ sockets

Thats what i need for work, i was looking at the sparkys yesterday thinkng Hmm i need that  :D much more organised than my tool boxes  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:49:20 AM
I have one of those bags when I have to use the train to get to work but only if I don't have to carry too much stuff (it doesen't get a lot of use) I will try to get a picture of it and my tool belt later

:)
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
Pacu. love that QLC bag :tu:

I've got a bag which came form the US years bag, similar to the Stanley, but my screwdrivers and stuff are just swimming around in it and I need more pockets!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Biru

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 04:00:20 PM
Yes, that QLC isn't bad at all. I like the organizer pockets. The three I've got are a Craftsman and two of some other brand. They all are a dump bag. When I first got them I imagined a scene like those old heist movies where the crooks carry pry bars and other tools into the bank in a black bag and then proceed to dump the tools on the floor. Seems like you could just use a burlap sack.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 04:22:27 PM
I have a small cheap one that my mother in law got me a few years ago.  It's pretty small and getting quite beat up.  I'll use it until it disintegrates then I'll head off to Home Depot to buy a newer, bigger one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:31:51 PM
Here is mine:

It's made by Ergodyne, and it's built like a tank (made out of 1680D Ballistic Polyester).

Here is the interior:

And what is inside there:

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:25 PM
That's outrageously organised! :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 07:05:48 PM
Yea, it starts out like that on Monday, but usually by the end of the week it's a big mess :-[
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 08:24:59 AM
Yea, it starts out like that on Monday, but usually by the end of the week it's a big mess :-[

lol yeah like mine at work but i start the week in a mess and end the same way,the only thing im really looking after is my new drill work got me this week, once i finnish up in around a months time ill re-organise my stuff and possibly get a new bag  :tu:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:47:41 PM
I use DeWalt tool bags , fairly well made for the price point . My only bitch , I wish they were lined with a light coloured fabric - much easier to see stuff . I'm thinking of going to one of the CLC yellow waterproof bags , Kline also makes an orange one .

Chris

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 07:13:45 PM
I picked up a JCB bag today,theres lots of inside compartments and outside ones, i cant wait to get to work wed and put all my tools in it pics soon  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 02:11:45 PM
I got into work today and sorted my tools out, it was cool as i found stuff at the bottom of my old toolbox that i forgot i had  :D i even got a new HD pliers this am and then found i had 5 pliers already  :rofl: oh well more tools  ;)

Glad its got a shoulder strap as blooming heavy  :D

Offline BCNGator00

• New User
Tool Bags!
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:11 AM
I bought one of these a few years ago and love it.  Duluth has some great stuff!

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-workshop/tool-bags-tool-belts/58032.aspx

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 08:12:17 AM
 :tu:

Duluth have some really great gear, it they sold to us in the UK I would be a lot poorer than I am now  :ahhh
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 01:42:39 PM

Duluth have some really great gear, it they sold to us in the UK I would be a lot poorer than I am now  :ahhh

Agreed, I have often looked at their site and been thankful for the fact they don't want my money!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 04:03:51 PM

Agreed, I have often looked at their site and been thankful for the fact they don't want my money!

My entire wardrobe would be from the Duluth collection  :D
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 04:04:38 PM

:rofl:  would have plenty of pockets tony  ;) 

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 04:33:22 PM

I’m sure Vivienne Westwood used to say a bloke can’t wear too much leather an canvas  :whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 04:38:42 PM

I’m sure Vivienne Westwood used to say a bloke can’t wear too much leather an canvas  :whistle:

:rofl:

leather canvas and paracord  :drool:  :rofl: oh and shinny bits  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 04:44:56 PM

:twak:   ......... Theres no pockets!

:D
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:35 PM
Yeah, but I can see you in it Tony.... very Rocky Horror Show :drool:

In heels, you would be about 7 foot tall!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24