Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old mini-PST clone?

us Offline Corso

Old mini-PST clone?
on: July 05, 2012, 10:30:38 PM
I found this old project in the back of a drawer.  I had forgotten about the mini-tool inside which I now find intriguing.  It is jewelled all over but there is no brand name anywhere.  Stamped "CHINA" inside one handle.  Roughly the same size as a Micra, but with a small PST-shaped, sprung pliers head.  Has a good tool load-out including a wickedly sharp little awl and a small Phillips head.  I made the pouch out of an old discarded pair of my wife's sandals.  The dual clasps on the back might be overkill. :-\  I made compartments for a lighter, a chopped Bic pen and the tool itself. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Old mini-PST clone?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:46:32 PM
If you search the forums for 'Sheffield 12010', you'll find all my ranting on this little gem.

I EDC this tool, along with a Crosscut and Victorinox one-hand Trekker.

Mine has the same swirl marks seen on yours. They originally had cheesy rubber stick-on grips that come undone and fall off. Mine were red, and had the model number of the tool on them. So, when they fall off, so does all identification.

They are functionally identical to the 'Great Neck 12-in-1 Mini Multi Tool' which can be found on the K-Mart website (and sometimes in stock at your local K-Marts).
http://www.kmart.com/great-neck-12-in-1-mini-multi-tool/p-010W012825630001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Here's a pic of mine with it's K-Mart twin.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:50:57 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Corso

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:16 PM
If you search the forums for 'Sheffield 12010', you'll find all my ranting on this little gem.

I EDC this tool, along with a Crosscut and Victorinox one-hand Trekker.

Mine has the same swirl marks seen on yours. They originally had cheesy rubber stick-on grips that come undone and fall off. Mine were red, and had the model number of the tool on them. So, when they fall off, so does all identification.

They are functionally identical to the 'Great Neck 12-in-1 Mini Multi Tool' which can be found on the K-Mart website (and sometimes in stock at your local K-Marts.
http://www.kmart.com/great-neck-12-in-1-mini-multi-tool/p-010W012825630001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Cool!  Thanks fo the info!  I don't know if I like the weird, lock/keychain thingy.

Edit:  just checked Kmart's site and they're in stock at my local store for $4.74.  Might have to go get another!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:02:27 PM by Corso »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:58 PM
Handy little MT, here is my tesco's one  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:53:51 AM
How's that weird surface coat holding up, Zed? I think you described it as being like 'shark skin' in another thread.

Corso, if my local K-Mart had them, I'd snag a few. I think they're super-useful for the price, and tend to give them to friends (which is what happened to my K-Mart version). If I could, I'd likely get a few more.

But then... I think I've gotten all my friends some keychain MT now. So.....

My work here is done!! :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:56:16 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Corso

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:36 AM
Zed, is yours riveted?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:13:33 AM
Zed, is yours riveted?

yep  :tu:

Lynn the shark skin type coating  :D is doing ok, a few wear marks on the edges ai i suspected would happen but all good, i keep it in a altoids tin in my backpack  :tu: the micra has taken over keychain duty at the moment  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%