Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool

spam Offline trinity

i have the complete range of leatherman tools ...from the micra to the supertool (all original)...and they are supposed to be better than their so-called new counterparts...they are !(i refer to the old Leatherman range,and not the latest offerings)
why leatherman went and made the new tools is beyond me....

none of these tools in any way have a better fit, feel , finish, finesse, functionality than a Swisstool...only a die-hard American with a Leatherman as his\her ally would think like that...cause if Americans wont buy Leatherman...there goes Leatherman!

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Re: i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 05:22:42 AM
I don't want to get into a war, but I still carry both the Vic & the LM because the Leatherman's (Leathermen?) fit screws better & have standard screwdriver sizes where the Vic does not.  This has always annoyed me.  Otherwise the Vic is to die for.

Offline colubrid

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:20:56 AM
Tom,

You are one of the few people I know that want more screwdriver selection.

This is something i wish LM would cut back on and replace with other tools.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:41:36 AM
I don't want more selection.  I just want the screwdrivers that are included to actually fit the screws.  I'd be content with a standard Phillips, standard slotted, & an eyeglass screwdriver.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 03:00:07 PM
SwissTools would be great if they were constructed like the SOG's and had a way of removing and replacing tools.  In my book SOG is #1 ( S62 is what I now carry ) and SwissTool RS is #2. I have kept one LM 1st generation WAVE and nothing else from LM.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 01:21:19 AM
Hello Trinity,

Can you please expand. How does the Swiss Tool have a better fit, feel, and finish than the Leatherman models. I'm more than impressed with the quality that my LM Charge Ti exudes. The pliers are very tight and quality feeling, the handles lock up solidly, and the bit driver is much more versatile than the standard fixed bits. Is this the Chevy vs. Ford type od discussion?

Also the LM warranty is one of the best in the industry.

I just bought my first Vic. Tinker, and it seems real nice, but comparing apples to oranges my LM Charge is much more lusty.

I plan on eventually getting all tools, so I'm not arguing which is better. I'm just asking for a solid facts why one make is better than another.

Bob.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 01:42:12 AM
You really can't compare the SwissTool to the Charge since they are different sizes.  Continuing with your Chevy vs Ford analogy, it would be like putting an Escape against the Suburban.  The SwissTool would be more akin to the Surge or SuperTool.

And Victorinox' warranty is better in the fact that it is a lifetime warranty (ie forever) while Leatherman's warranty expires after a mere 25 years!

If you are looking for a heavy duty tool, the SwissTool is probably the way you want to go.  If you want something smaller and lighter for edc, go with the Charge.

Another big difference is that the SwissTool has significantly more functions than comparable sized models from other manufacturers.  It has more implements than most, and many of the implements have multiple uses- like the bottle opener/screwdriver/wirestripper all being on one implement.

If you don't have a Victorinox multitool, you won't ever understand how well it is made until you get one.  They really are in a class by themselves.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:22:47 AM
If you don't have a Victorinox multitool, you won't ever understand how well it is made until you get one.  They really are in a class by themselves.

Other good points about the SwissTool line:

All blades/tools are accessible without opening the pliers
All tools lock
Each tool has an individual backspring, so there is no clumping

When I first saw the SwissTool, I had and used a Leatherman Super Tool.  It appeared to me that Victorinox took all the bad points about the Super Tool and fixed them in the SwissTool.

I now own an original SwissTool and an X model.  One or the other is on my side daily.  Forget the American Express card, I don't leave home without a SwissTool.

Heck, I haven't even been able to warm up to the SwissTool Spirit.  I looked at one and agree it is a nice, smaller version, but it just didn't speak to me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:25:25 PM by Travis Autry »

Offline plowboy

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:57:28 PM
I like the Swisstools and especially the Spirit.  I don't own anything else right now.  I have a SOG Powerlock ordered from FelineVet, but given the volume of mail the USPS is handling over the holidays I haven't received it yet.

I also want to buy a Charge so that I can compare SOG and Leatherman to Vic.  I think it will be fun to do my own comparison.

The Spirit is great, though!
 :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:14 AM
but given the volume of mail the USPS is handling over the holidays I haven't received it yet.

I had a knife shipped to me from PA to me in RI last week...went from PA to NY, then to NJ...then FLORIDA, now it's on it's 3-4 day journey back to me in RI (I hope)

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 03:06:01 AM
I had a knife shipped to me from PA to me in RI last week...went from PA to NY, then to NJ...then FLORIDA, now it's on it's 3-4 day journey back to me in RI (I hope)

I live in Michigan. I'll keep an eye out in case it comes here next.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 03:35:17 AM
but given the volume of mail the USPS is handling over the holidays I haven't received it yet.

So much mail people have been working 7-12hr days!!!  Don't know how they do it, but I tell you what, they are all walking zombies.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 03:57:17 AM
Maybe, but Inky was like that before the season too! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline trinity

Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 04:57:45 AM
firstly, ask your wife, lovie,hubby,nobby,bigboy, etc..to blindfold you, then...feel your way around these...
(spirit, x, new wave, charge, core...etc)

then you reply!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 05:58:49 AM
firstly, ask your wife, lovie,hubby,nobby,bigboy, etc..to blindfold you, then...feel your way around these...

then you reply!

I'm not falling for that again.  The last time she blindfolded me I got slapped.  I have horrible aim...  >:D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 05:06:05 PM

Hmm. . . feeling of one's tools blindfolded seems just a little bit kinky to me. ???

Offline plowboy

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 06:26:15 PM

I've got your knife...nice blade.

Seriously, all those guys and gals working for package delivery companies and the USPS are going to be glad to see the holidays pass.

Offline plowboy

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 06:27:57 PM
Sorry about messing up the above quote, but I'm slow learning how to do a quote here...technology isn't my strong point.
 :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 10:13:13 PM
Me neither. I'm liable to screw up anything more sophisticated than a rock!  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 01:08:45 AM
Well, maybe anything more sophisticated than a SOG anyways! :P

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 05:21:55 AM
I work at a local shipping company...truly heartbreaking when some guy comes in with gifts on a Friday at 4:45 PM he needs overnighted to his kids all up and down the east coast.  His credit card was smoldering when he left :)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 05:26:51 AM
I work at a local shipping company...truly heartbreaking when some guy comes in with gifts on a Friday at 4:45 PM he needs overnighted to his kids all up and down the east coast.  His credit card was smoldering when he left :)

But will he learn his lesson and shop earlier next year? If he's anything like me......then probably not.  ;)

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 05:01:54 AM

Def

You're right! I couldn't stop thinking about what you said. It took me almost two months, but now I own a Swisstool. Man, what a smooth opener, and no LM handle slop. I'm very impressed. The SwissTool has revived my interest. I keep buying bigger,and bigger tools it seems. First the PST, next the Charge Ti, and now the Vic. Swisstool. The SwissTool is a bit large, but what a beauty. I also own the Vic. Tinker (red handle pocketknife) which is real nice.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 11:53:58 AM
Well, if the SwissTool is a little large for you then you could always try out the Spirit... same thing, smaller package!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 07:48:58 PM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday to help pay some very big car repair bills but I still have a as new std swisstool on my side as from now  ;) also I sent my Spirit in for repair/ replacement today as its always had a bit too much play in the pliers and springs and I could never really gel with it knowing its not right . Will let you all know what happens about that one .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 12:35:57 AM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday..........

Dunc

WHAT!?   :o  No! It cannot be true! The real Dunc would NEVER have sold his RS!

What have you done with Dunc you imposter?!

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:13 AM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday..........

Dunc

WHAT!?   :o  No! It cannot be true! The real Dunc would NEVER have sold his RS!

What have you done with Dunc you imposter?!

Well, there goes the Swiss forum and all the awesome pics in the great multitool picture thread  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 02:41:48 AM
We'll have to take up a collection to either buy Dunc a new SwissTool or fix his car!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 09:17:33 AM
Guys I still have a std Swisstool  ;) and I Will buy another RS as soon as I get the car sorted .Its not too bad , the serrated blade on the std is more then capaple and is in fact a little more suited to everyday tasks . Will miss the scissors but that can be taken care of with a Climber or Swisschamp .Dont worry , me having to sell the RS doesnt mean I'm loosing my Vic interest . I often have to sell items to buy new ones or pay bills

Dunc

Offline Cheviot

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 09:33:35 AM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday to help pay some very big car repair bills but I still have a as new std swisstool on my side as from now  ;) also I sent my Spirit in for repair/ replacement today as its always had a bit too much play in the pliers and springs and I could never really gel with it knowing its not right . Will let you all know what happens about that one .

Dunc

Gasp :o
Shock :o
Horror :o

Dunc really has been replaced with an imposter!

Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash -Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash  -/- Dunc finds fault with a Swisstool ![/b]

Rob

S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24