Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: i have them all...they still dont come close to the swisstool
Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 09:37:55 AM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday to help pay some very big car repair bills but I still have a as new std swisstool on my side as from now  ;) also I sent my Spirit in for repair/ replacement today as its always had a bit too much play in the pliers and springs and I could never really gel with it knowing its not right . Will let you all know what happens about that one .

Dunc

Gasp :o
Shock :o
Horror :o

Dunc really has been replaced with an imposter!

Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash -Newsflash - Newsflash - Newsflash  -/- Dunc finds fault with a Swisstool ![/b]

Rob

LOL  : The faults with the Spirit not the original swisstools  ;) What ever happens I will always have a swisstool with me  ;)

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 01:33:01 PM
Selling items to pay bills huh?  Sounds like you are mistakenly getting my paychecks!

Seriously, I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 02:42:56 PM
As do we all Dunc.

I hate vehicle problems. No matter what breaks, it's always hideously expensive to repair, yet impossible to just ignore and hope it goes away.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 02:58:03 PM
It's amazing how manufacturers are building cars to the point where you can't do a darned thing with them.  Soon you will have to go to an "automotive technician" to put gas in it for you.

The headlights in my Sunfire are burnt out (both DRL, one headlight) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the darn things.  I bought replacement bulbs, popped the hood figuring it was a two minute job, and spent about 20 minutes scratching my head.  There is no convenient twisty bulb mount at the back of the headlight unit, and in fact there is no way to get to it if there were- the frame that holds the radiator in is blocking the backside.  So, since you can't get at the back of the light it seemed to make sense that you could just pop off the front cover and replace the bulb just like a regular light bulb.  That idea was supported by the small aluminum clips holding the cover on.  Or so I thought.  I popped off the clips and try as I might, the cover wouldn't come off without breaking.  There were no other clips I could find.

So now I have to ask my mechanic to show me how to do it when I take it in for some other work I need done.  Luckily I have a good mechanic, something that is worth it's weight in gold.  My old mechanic started out good, but soon taking the car in for an oil change or tire rotation was costing me $1500 each time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 02:31:39 PM
...........Dont worry , me having to sell the RS doesnt mean I'm loosing my Vic interest . I often have to sell items to buy new ones or pay bills

Dunc

If it were me in your situation Dunc, I would have sold Def's PowerLock before I would have sold the RS!!   :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 02:35:24 PM
Remind me not to loan you any tools....

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 07:25:46 PM
...........Dont worry , me having to sell the RS doesnt mean I'm loosing my Vic interest . I often have to sell items to buy new ones or pay bills

Dunc

If it were me in your situation Dunc, I would have sold Def's PowerLock before I would have sold the RS!!   :D

:D :D :D :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 02:11:03 AM
Car repairs suck.  I am thankful that my stepfather is a good mechanic.  I have next to no experience in major car repairs.  I can change my own oil but I hear that even that is becoming illegal in some places.  Darn the man!!!!!!

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 05:24:33 AM
Darn it, these threads always go in an off direction...

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 05:30:11 AM
Dont worry  I'm sure we can bring it round again  :) Sorry for leading it astray

Dunc

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 05:33:40 AM
It's just as enjoyable :D

us Offline Splat

Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:08 PM
If you are looking for a heavy duty tool, the SwissTool is probably the way you want to go.  If you want something smaller and lighter for edc, go with the Charge.
Def

It all depends what its intended use is/will be. I own my own company and 85% of my jobs I have to use a Phillips or slotted driver. I'd love to get a SwissTool but the drivers on it don't compare to the LM Core's. If I'm EDC my multi then it better be up to the task, as the Core is. I, too, would love Victorinox to make their tools user-modable like SOG. First they gotta make their drivers better.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 01:50:03 AM
Maybe I just don't use them to the degree that you do, but I have never encountered the SwissTool driver issue.  Not that I am doubting there is one because I have heard other folks mention it too.

I just haven't had that problem....

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 03:12:56 AM
I complained that the drivers didn't fit as well as other multitools, but the truth is just that they slip out easier with the stainless.  BTW, my brother tells me that many tools don't use stainless now since it is very unfriendly environmentally, & it is very expensive to meet government reg's.

us Offline carl

Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 07:05:12 PM
I had to sell my trusty Swisstool RS yesterday to help pay some very big car repair bills but I still have a as new std swisstool on my side as from now  ;) also I sent my Spirit in for repair/ replacement today as its always had a bit too much play in the pliers and springs and I could never really gel with it knowing its not right . Will let you all know what happens about that one .

Dunc
Dunc,
What finally happened with the repair of the Spirit?  Did it come  with excessive plier play when it was new?

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 07:29:33 PM
As a Spirit owner I will concede that the Phillips screwdriver could be better. It's fine for me as I mostly just do honey-do's. But if someone used it quite often and for hard things I could see where it could come up short.

But the fit and finish on it, and the precise sound of the locks clicking, just the smooth lines of it, it's just beautiful. Mine is being modded right now but I miss it so much.  :( But when I get it back it'll be even better.  :D
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 07:42:28 PM
Carl the Spirit came back very quickly and they replaced the plier head  :D Its was perfect . Yes it was loose from new but Vic sorted it out .
  Funny how things work out , I sold the Spirit and got another RS  ::) Couldnt live without it and its been my constant EDC ever since .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 07:42:35 PM
What are you having done?

I always thought a good boob job would make it the perfect tool!   :D

Def

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 08:05:09 PM
I'm having a pocket clip put on it. And yes, I'm pretty excited about it.  :cheers: :drool:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 09:05:55 PM
Very cool! :D

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:10 PM
I'll second that, a pocket clip is the only thing you could do to improve it in my eyes :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Thargor

Reply #51 on: March 23, 2008, 09:21:53 PM
Id buy one if it wasnt for the horrific blade, I wish they would release one with a proper blade and scissors.

Reply #52 on: March 23, 2008, 09:24:25 PM
Id buy one if it wasnt for the horrific blade, I wish they would release one with a proper blade and scissors.
I've almost finished turning mine into a warnie (pics to follow) :)

Offline Thargor

Reply #53 on: March 23, 2008, 09:28:37 PM
Please do, I want to see that.

Do you thing Victorinox would fix it if it was obvious you'd tried to mod the blade and messed up?

Reply #54 on: March 23, 2008, 09:30:59 PM
Please do, I want to see that.

Do you thing Victorinox would fix it if it was obvious you'd tried to mod the blade and messed up?
I sincerly doubt it :D, a chip in the blade's one thing, a severally doctored blades quite another :D

Besides I'm doing it with hand tools so there plenty of time for me to spot mistakes before I make them ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:35:38 PM by micky d »

Offline Thargor

Reply #55 on: March 23, 2008, 10:37:44 PM
Its so annoying because I really, really want one but I know Ill end up selling it again the minute I try to EDC that blade or something with no scissors, surely someone from there must read this site and others, even if they dont they must have some kind of market research division, I dont see how they could have thought it was a good idea to radically change the blade like that.

Im going to email them and tell them I really want either a Swisstool or a Spirit with a OHO blade (not serrated), just to see if they reply.

us Offline carl

Reply #56 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:32 PM
Carl the Spirit came back very quickly and they replaced the plier head  :D Its was perfect . Yes it was loose from new but Vic sorted it out .
  Funny how things work out , I sold the Spirit and got another RS  ::) Couldnt live without it and its been my constant EDC ever since .

Dunc
Do you prefer to EDC a larger RS over the smaller Spirit?  Why so?   

Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 11:07:39 PM
Its so annoying because I really, really want one but I know Ill end up selling it again the minute I try to EDC that blade or something with no scissors, surely someone from there must read this site and others, even if they dont they must have some kind of market research division, I dont see how they could have thought it was a good idea to radically change the blade like that.

Im going to email them and tell them I really want either a Swisstool or a Spirit with a OHO blade (not serrated), just to see if they reply.
I'm sure they have got something in the pipe line, but the problem of law's rear there ugly head's, OHO blade's simply are not legal everywhere in europe, and Victorinox are unlikely to produce a MT that they can't sell in a lot of markets :-\

As for the blade, it really isn't that bad, it's just I hate serrations, if I didn't I'd be quite happy to live with the peanut butter blade :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 10:14:13 AM

Dunc
Do you prefer to EDC a larger RS over the smaller Spirit?  Why so?   

The larger RS without a doubt . The reason is simple ....... If I really needed a multitool in an emergency would I want the biggest toughest tool on the market or its smaller , lighter more hand friendly smaller brother ? I'm not knocking the spirit its a great tool but for me the Swisstool out performs it .

Dunc

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 11:11:47 PM
The Swisstool , and its little bro the Spirit would be the be all end all if they had a one hand openable blade . Thats the main reason I use my Waves , Charges etc.

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD