Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

100 Riffs: A brief History of Rock n Roll

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
100 Riffs: A brief History of Rock n Roll
on: July 08, 2012, 04:48:58 PM
It starts a bit before my time, but everyone of them (except maybe 2 near the end) brings back vivid memories.  :)

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Re: 100 Riffs: A brief History of Rock n Roll
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:34 PM
NO IRON MADIEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: That kid better run to the hills. :twak:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:03 PM
iron maidens a bit more metal i would say, i wish i could play half those riffs on my guitar! :(
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Re: 100 Riffs: A brief History of Rock n Roll
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:20:10 PM
NO IRON MADIEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: That kid better run to the hills. :twak:

Nice to see another Maiden fan here!

Did you hear about the new biopic of Jimi Hendrix they are making, starring Andre 3000? The Hendrix Estate is not giving them permission to use any of Hendrix' music, so the whole movie will be shot with him doing covers.

How dumb is that? Make a movie about a musical icon and not use any of the music he contributed.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:20 PM
No 65 is actually by the mighty StatusQuo :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:51:43 AM
iron maidens a bit more metal i would say, i wish i could play half those riffs on my guitar! :(

Well, he put there one from Metallica, so Maiden wouldn't be misplaced. Anyway, on these kind of lists there is always something missing in the mind of each listener, so that's a normal critic. Too american biased imho, but overall that was a great show.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:37 PM

Well, he put there one from Metallica, so Maiden wouldn't be misplaced. Anyway, on these kind of lists there is always something missing in the mind of each listener, so that's a normal critic. Too american biased imho, but overall that was a great show.

Uhm, The Who, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, all the iterations of Eric Clapton, Santana, AC/DC, Men at Work, Police, U2, are not American.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:01 PM

Uhm, The Who, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, all the iterations of Eric Clapton, Santana, AC/DC, Men at Work, Police, U2, are not American.

half the people in the uk thin led zep are american though -.-
I

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:02:02 PM

I didn't say he only played american bands, but for the purpose of "history" there were some big names left out: Sex Pistols, Motorhead, Saxon, John Miles, David Bowie, Eric Clapton (you mentioned him, but I didn't see "him" there), Cat Stevens, Judas Priest ("breaking the law" has a memorable riff hum?), only to mention a few.
Of course when a list is setup, choices have to be made or else it would take thousands of entries, but I just felt this to be too "americanized".

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:12:29 PM

I didn't say he only played american bands, but for the purpose of "history" there were some big names left out: Sex Pistols, Motorhead, Saxon, John Miles, David Bowie, Eric Clapton (you mentioned him, but I didn't see "him" there), Cat Stevens, Judas Priest ("breaking the law" has a memorable riff hum?), only to mention a few.
Of course when a list is setup, choices have to be made or else it would take thousands of entries, but I just felt this to be too "americanized".

Eric Clapton= Derek and the Dominoes and Cream (Both in there).

I forgot Queen, ELO, Rush, Muse (and I think Modest Mouse) which were in there too.

I think it's fair to say, it was Anglophilic, but come on, the guy is from Chicago Guitar Exchange.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:45 PM
...one last thing,

He didn't say "Greatest Guitar riffs" or "Encyclopedic".  I think it is fair to say, those were all extremely successful singles AND each could be well recognized from their distinctive guitar riffs.

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:33:09 PM
Good stuff, but it DID need the riff to the Pistols' "Pretty Vacant" . :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Re: Re: 100 Riffs: A brief History of Rock n Roll
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:41:54 AM

Nice to see another Maiden fan here!

Did you hear about the new biopic of Jimi Hendrix they are making, starring Andre 3000? The Hendrix Estate is not giving them permission to use any of Hendrix' music, so the whole movie will be shot with him doing covers.

How dumb is that? Make a movie about a musical icon and not use any of the music he contributed.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

My mother told me that of all people. That poor woman had to hear me bang out his tunes for years as a teen. I dont see how it could hurt the Hendrix estate. The man is an iconic stapel and dead,still making money.What a great way to tip your hat to a guy and put his music out to a new medium.

b, the Hendrix Estate didnt bitch when Fender came out with the artist sig series Strat of Jimi. Lets hope andre 2000 learns his licks and gives the [MOVING PICTURE](S) justice. Im all in a s#*^$ mood now cause I had forgotten about that whole hendrix estate BS. Also im pissed Limelight wasnt on that list along with a Passage to Bangkok. He snuffed Lemmy too.

The guy did a great riff list dont get me wrong,and very well disciplined to whip that off. Any music list is up for great debate. Like that POS album list RS put out. Im a die hard Strat fan and all around fender fan. That dudes set up was weak for any type of Gibson riff and had a woody for that bridge pickup.  Im surprised he didnt say DA BEARS at the end and eat some polish sasuage.                           
album-2112.jpg
* album-2112.jpg (Filesize: 15.76 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
Strat fan?  That explains everything.... everyone knows Gibson rules!  :D

Of course with me playing either of them they both sound like crap, no matter whether my stack goes to 11 or not!

I don't know much about Jimi's sister, the current head of his estate, but I have to wonder why she didn't give permission to the movie- is it too far off from the real Jimi or is it too close to the real Jimi for her comfort?  I mean let's face it, there was a lot about Jimi that wasn't the kind of thing that you'd want publicized.  On the other hand, there's a whole ethos about the man since he died so young, folks have elevated him to Godhood.  I can see the movie playing to that and making Jimi very unrealistic.

I probably won't bother to watch it- maybe when it comes on TV and I have nothing better to do I'll check it out, but until then I doubt I'll go out of my way.  It can't be nearly as good as Dewey Cox!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:04 AM
I'll be a Gibson fan in a few more years. Super secret savings.  The estate must have found out a steamy love scene with janis joplin and jimi was written in. Id be apprehensive too with music rights in the movie. Very good point you have Def.  Walk hard bro!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 03:23:50 AM
Thread jack:

I heard that Fender is going to have an IPO this year.  They're trying to raise cash for international expansion (India was specifically mentioned).  Apparently they need to develop a new line of guitars with thinner necks, for the Bollywood market.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%