Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Champion: the sweet spot of pocket carry

Singh · 23 · 4676

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:59 PM
I’ve taken to carrying a Champion which is 5.25 ounces, and  that’s about 30% lighter than my Vic Spirit.  The Champion doesn’t feel bulky or heavy at all. I think the sweet spot on pocket carry might be around the 5 ounce mark (142g).  Anything over that  can feel like a little brick swinging in your pocket as you walk.

Why a Champion? I get all the tools that are on my Vic Spirit, plus some extras, but no pliers.

Why not a Swiss Champ?  The SAK pliers push the weight to the 6.5 ounces, which is too heavy.  Also, the Champion was  HALF the price of a SwissChamp.

I was concerned that since this was a “big” SAK, that it would be BIG. It’s not. Seriously.  A pack of Trident gum is wider.

I’ve worn it with jeans and khaki style pants. It feels comfortable in both. It’s best to situate in the pocket with the corkscrew side facing your leg. It’s more comfortable than having the blade side rub into your leg all day. 

A dangler/belt hanger and that would keep the Champion sitting vertical, which would feel better in the pocket. Or you can have your wallet in there to keep the SAK vertical.

Due to the width of the Champion, it sits better in the pocket than a three layer SAK which can roll around  and rest on its side. (if that makes sense). I’ve had a three layer Climber  (with plus scales) roll on its side in my pocket and it just feels *wrong*.   

The fishscaler: I’ll never scale a fish, but I think this tool would have also saved the day: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=38521.0 Also, this looks like an ideal pokey/probey tool, and I read  that it’s good for cutting cardboard. The fun of SAKs is figuring out new ways to use the tools.

I really don’t know why Vic stopped (?) making these. Maybe because it  takes away some of the SwissChamp’s thunder? But I think the Champion has a new role to fill in this predominately pliers-based MT world because most people will go for a pliers-based MT if they need pliers.     

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:36:13 PM by shamus »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Champion: the sweet spot of pocket carry
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:52:40 PM
I know what you mean by landing on there sides , although i found even the explorer too bulky in my pockets but then i dont even like having change in my pockets, i carry a tinker daily but usualy end up with my very light opinel #5 and my ppp worn horizontaly on my belt, i think its a matter of taste when it comes to pocket carry, i found my explorer swung around in my pocket as well,

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:43 PM
I edc a Swisschamp so I know what you mean about the belt hanger making things much more comfortable :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:16 PM
Gotta have pliers on a SAK, but that's just me. The Champion is very nice though :tu:

The fishscaler: I’ll never scale a fish, but I think this tool would have also saved the day:

Neither do I, but I have used it for fun at work like this:
(with the pen on the plus scales)
fishscaler1.jpg
* fishscaler1.jpg (Filesize: 77.38 KB)
fishscaler2.jpg
* fishscaler2.jpg (Filesize: 69.41 KB)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:20:46 PM by Waterlander »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:39 AM
Personally, I feel that anything bigger than about 4 layers is too big for pocket carry.  My Explorer fits the bill pretty nicely for that, although I'd really like to add a pliers layer to it.  It'll probably be too big for pocket carry afterward though.   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline austin83

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:35:41 AM
I tried carrying an Explorer, and it was just too big for pocket carry.  I now EDC a Scientist, and a classic on my keychain for the scissors.  Sometimes I carry a SwissTool on my belt.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 05:50:01 PM
My "best" size pocket carry SAK is a, three layer, Climber. Would be a two layer spartan (but misses scissors) or compact (but misses the small screwdriver which works with 99% of computer screws / philips screws).

After that, the next "major" step up in pocket size, for me, would be a five layer Ranger and the next one a SwissChamp.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:58:03 PM
I had a Champion Plus for a while, and never had any problem pocket carrying it.  Today I'm actually carrying my Wenger S557, again in my pocket with a lanyard for easy access.  Barely notice that it's there.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:38 PM
I carried a Champion for years, in a pocket-in-the-pocket, next to my groin.  Had to be careful tying my shoes.  Finally broke off the can opener jimmying a window (the best piano on campus was kind of locked up during summer break) - learned something about Strength of Materials...
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:01:21 AM
I find that this is a very personal thing a pocket carry MT/SAK, as i carry a scissor based keyring tool ie classic or micra, so ive no need for scissors on my pocket carry, and the same with pliers as ive a small plier based MT in my backpack plus while at work i carry a sog powerlock or ppp, so in my pocket i find my tinker handy for a quick blade or phillips or flathead driver if needed , plus i used the pin to pop a bloodblister last week  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:12:47 PM
I've tried pocket carrying large SAKs a few times, but it never seems to work well for me as I have my pockets crammed with so much other stuff too. Wenger Tool Chest and Vic Champion are the biggest 85mm and 91mm I have, and both tend to ride in a bag if they make it out of the door

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 10:53:03 PM
Amici,
Here is a hastily taken shot of my vintage Champion with it's new white scales. The Champion is my main EDC 90% of the time. On a side note, I always carry a large MT in my bag so the loss of pliers is not a troublesome issue for me in a SAK.

Cheers,
Serge
Champion.jpg
* Champion.jpg (Filesize: 37.51 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:26 PM
Yesterday I got a Swisschamp in a trade, and carried it for the first time today.  It was in my pocket all day at work, and I didn't find it to be too big or cumbersome.  It was actually very comfortable.  Still, it does take up a fair bit of space, so at some point I'm going to get a belt pouch.  I have no problem carrying it loose though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:02:49 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline bren10man

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:40:25 AM
I have carried a Champion since DEC 1986.

Served me well in: Alaska, Thailand, Iraq (2 trips there), Korea, and all over the USA.

From the Arctic to the Jungle to the woods to the desert and over water and land.  Now, I jump (airborne operations) with it.

Has never failed me.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 04:39:04 PM
bren10man, I figured you've put the Champion through some pretty rough use over the past 20+ years. Given the breadth of your experience over the years and in the military , have you ever worn one out? And how did you clean/maintain it in the jungle environments to keep it from corroding?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:40:53 PM by shamus »

us Offline bren10man

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 09:48:04 PM
bren10man, I figured you've put the Champion through some pretty rough use over the past 20+ years. Given the breadth of your experience over the years and in the military , have you ever worn one out? And how did you clean/maintain it in the jungle environments to keep it from corroding?

Never worn one out.  Just the springs (I think I am on 3rd scissors spring now).

I keep it oiled and cleaned with toothbrush from M16/M4 rifle/carbine cleaning kit.   I keep blades sharp with diamond sharpener.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:15:59 AM
have you had to replace the scales?

us Offline bren10man

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 05:01:03 AM
have you had to replace the scales?

No...I just keep them clean and polished.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:42 PM
I just picked up this MOP Champion with T&T.  The MOP versions seem quite a bit harder to find than the other luxury ones like the Stag version.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 02:17:55 AM
I EDC a Vic. Handyman ( pretty chubby little thing ) , I use a Munroe Dangler ( thanks Gadget Guy ) .

Chris

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 02:42:07 AM
I pretty much only pocket carry my +B lumberjack on a p7 suspension clip since receiving it a little while back now.  The tool count is limited but I have a ps4 on my keys and and a soon to arrive swisscard lite for my wallet.

And after carrying this anything else frankly feels like a house brick.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:46 AM
I agree  :tu: I tend to pocket my Champion a lot more than my SwissChamp. I added a micro screw driver too the corkscrew of my Champion.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 07:03:51 PM
I find a thicker SAK not so much a real problem for pocket carry, but I find the blade awkward to use on a SAK thicker then 3 layers. (like spreading peanut butter and cutting my sandwich exactly in half, lol)

edit: sorry to go off topic, forget 'bout it, I'm off to the kitchen again  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:14:14 PM by Waterlander »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44