Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Travelling Tool?

Offline Cpfoxhunt

Best Travelling Tool?
on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:44 AM
Hello,

I'm about to do a spot of travelling around europe on the train, and I need a new EDC. I lost my Squirt S4 and have been reduced to a Victorinox classic SD that I was given years ago in the meantime. (My Wave will be stashed in my bag for anything that needs proper attention.)

The tools I use moth day to day are scissors followed by knife blade followed by a small flathead screwdriver for spectacles. A pen might also be handy.

For traveling I would ideally add a small but powerful torch to that mix if possible.

So far I'm looking at a Style CS twinned with an LED modded maglite solitaire, but an all in one would be nice if it exists.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Best Travelling Tool?
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:12:46 AM
I think you described the Victorinox Compact

It's got all you described, even a pen. The eyeglass screwdriver sits inside the corkscrew.

I'd advise AA or AAA flashlights, cr123 batteries are hard to find here and very expensive. How powerful and how small should the flashlight be compared to the Solitaire? What's your budget?

What countries will you be visiting?

us Offline clickstop

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:22 AM
If you're looking for all in one a SAK Midnite Manager would work, although the SD tip would have to be ground a little more for tiny screws. Plus, the light is fairly weak, a separate flashlight is always a good idea.

Offline Cpfoxhunt

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:07:44 PM
Hi there,

I really like the form factor of the squirt and the style as I think that the scissors on both are better, whilst a pen is not totally essential. The scissors on my cybertool, for example, are nowhere near as useful as I found the ones on the squirt s4 to be.

As for light, I'm not looking for anything great, and am currently waiting for an LED mod for my maglite solitaire to arrive. I keep a 2 cr123 Fenix torch handy in my bag, so this is really just a backup light, and it would have been useful if there was an obvious tool that included one.

Thanks for the advice so far!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:58:44 PM
If you were a fan of the Squirt, then might I suggest you look at the Micra?  Scissors and blade are all but identical, much better bottle opener, much better screwdrivers IMO.  It's the one I pick up when I need to tighten my daughter's glasses.  The only downside is the all the tools are internal so are a little slower to get at.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Cpfoxhunt

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:44:47 PM
For some reason I find the Micra incredibly fiddly in a way that the squirt just wasn't - I had a good look at it when choosing between it and the squirt and was in favour of pretty much every change made.

How does, for example, a Gerber Dime stack up to a Style?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:33 PM
Opinions are a little mixed on the Dime vs Squirt PS4. Both are good tools I think, but the Squirt narrowly edges out the Dime IMO.  Squirt just feels a little better built the tools are a touch more crisp.  The Dime is undoubtedly a better bottle opener though and the package cutter is great. :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:16 PM
Personally I prefer the Dime, but if the PS4 had replaced the file with the scissors instead of the mini driver and awl, I would probably prefer the Squirt then

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline toasterburn

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:15 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

It's got all you described, even a pen. The eyeglass screwdriver sits inside the corkscrew.

I'd advise AA or AAA flashlights, cr123 batteries are hard to find here and very expensive. How powerful and how small should the flashlight be compared to the Solitaire? What's your budget?

+1 on both accounts.

The compact is my favorite non-alox sax because it is perfectly balanced. It has just the right set of tools with no unnecessary tools making it fatter. And I got rid of my cr123 lights last year after a vacation experience where my battery died in a town with zero places to buy a replacement. Now all of my lights are AA or AAA.

5% off any order for forum members, use promo code: multitool.org

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:50 PM
BTW the Compact is indeed an excellent suggestion. :tu:  It's been one of my favourite SAKs since the moment I got one and remains so today.  You just can't cram much more function into a pocket tool and the scissors are second-to-none. :salute:

As far as a small LED light I'd look at the Olight i3 (a 1xAAA) or the i2 (a 1xAA).  Obviously the i2 is a bit bigger but the larger battery does give you longer run times.

I've also been looking at the ThruNite T10 (another compact 1xAA) and the ThruNite Ti.  Not had any experience with these two but they look very good to me.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 11:03:14 PM
I've also been looking at the ThruNite T10 (another compact 1xAA) and the ThruNite Ti.  Not had any experience with these two but they look very good to me.

Not to spend your money, mate, enabling isn't my thing ;) but do you know you can have both of these, T10 + Ti = $29,99 with shipping straight from the manufacturer. They opened the store about a month ago and are having promo sales.

http://thrunite-store.com/t10-p-13.html?cPath=3

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:10:42 PM

Not to spend your money, mate, enabling isn't my thing ;) but do you know you can have both of these, T10 + Ti = $29,99 with shipping straight from the manufacturer. They opened the store about a month ago and are having promo sales.

:ahhh

why am I now filling out some customer details?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 11:17:04 PM
and it now seems I've got a couple of new lights on the way to me.  Thanks a million enki. :twak:

:D :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 11:23:40 PM

:ahhh

why am I now filling out some customer details?

Same reason as me - that Nikola is a bad influence  :twak: :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:08 PM
and it now seems I've got a couple of new lights on the way to me.  Thanks a million enki. :twak:

:D :D

Sorry, guys.

:D

I filled those last time they had a promo. They ship from Singapore, and in batches so you might have to wait a few weeks. Maybe you can spend some of my money till they get to you. ;)

Till then here's how my Ti looks like :D (it's the one with the ultra low low, the ones on sale now have a 3 lumen low)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:27:12 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:22 AM
I just had a thought, a multi that has scissors, a knife and an AAA flashlight. The Gerber Fit.

http://www.multitool.org/Gerber/Medium-Tools/2011/05/04/fit.html

us Offline clickstop

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:19:53 AM
I just had a thought, a multi that has scissors, a knife and an AAA flashlight. The Gerber Fit.

http://www.multitool.org/Gerber/Medium-Tools/2011/05/04/fit.html

:facepalm: Completely forgot about this tool! Seems to fit all of the OP's needs, even the mini screwdrivers! It just needs a nice pen to be paired with.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:19 AM
I got to have a look at the Fit a while ago.  A good tool I think but it is quite bulky for pocket carry IMO.  Definitely a good option though. :)

Offline Cpfoxhunt

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 09:58:42 PM
Fantastic option, I wish I'd seen it earlier!

Meanwhile, this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-5-lumens-Bi-Pin-LED-MODULE-FOR-MAGLITE-SOLITAIRE-/120958570113?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c29b14e81#ht_545wt_1144) has arrived, and it works exactly as advertised, easily upgrading my maglite solitaire into something actually worth carrying in my pocket.

With that solved, scissors, a bottle opener and a decent screwdriver are my priorities. Does this change anything?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 01:23:31 AM
Scissors, bottle opener and screwdrivers?  There's really only one real answer to that!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 12:40:03 PM
I was also trying to decide which MT to carry with my on a trip to Las Vegas..  The Juice CS4 rides very well in my pocket, but I didn't want to risk losing it.  We'll be flying and I've had MT's disappear out of my luggage before.  This particular CS4 has the USA stamp on the pliers, so it would be hard to replace.

My choices were Style CS,  PS 4 and Vic Rambler.  The CS was tempting because of the superior scissors, but the PS4 won because it has pliers.  It is paired with an iTP EOS 3 for the trip.  We leave in 8 hours. 
Tick Magnet

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
Good luck and have a great time. :2tu:

england Offline macabee

Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 12:13:59 PM
Bets travelling tool, how long is a piece of string.

If weight is a consideration, you can't go far wrong with the Leatherman Micra, if weight is not and you need all the tool's that you can carry try the swisstool.

If you require tools but do not want to frighten the natives and create undue attention, one the larger SAK's will suffice, as they look pretty innocuous.

Have a safe trip :cheers:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 12:15:03 AM

+1 on both accounts.

The compact is my favorite non-alox sax because it is perfectly balanced. It has just the right set of tools with no unnecessary tools making it fatter. And I got rid of my cr123 lights last year after a vacation experience where my battery died in a town with zero places to buy a replacement. Now all of my lights are AA or AAA.
The compact is the right SAK for EDC. :tu:
I agree about the batteries, i only buy flashlights that work with AA or AAA.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 01:24:23 PM
As for light, I'm not looking for anything great, and am currently waiting for an LED mod for my maglite solitaire to arrive. I keep a 2 cr123 Fenix torch handy in my bag, so this is really just a backup light, and it would have been useful if there was an obvious tool that included one

There are pliers with light but they are mostly cheapies

There are tonnes of these around

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxam-6-Function-Multi-Plier-Tool-with-LED-batteries-Included-1-Yr-Warranty-NIB-/130611567916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e690e5d2c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-Mini-Multi-Tool-Keychain-with-Led-Light-Flat-Nose-Plier-Blade-Saw-etc-/310483624665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484a4422d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Tool-Pliers-with-LED-Flashlight-For-Survival-Fishing-Kits-2pc-/130795338818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e74027c42

I got a version pretty much the same as the 3rd one above which i got in 2004 from a motorbike accessories supplier. Got hooked in by the sales jargon 'stong stainless steel construction'

The idea is good but the fit quality is not. if Leatherman made it it would be great. Its definitely a stong beefy tool but the plier pivot has loosened up and has wobble, comparable to some Gerbers out of the box. Like i said, on paper it looks good, but the chinese just cant make a decent plier multi tool which is a shame as i really like this tool (was before i got LM's) as its inbetween the LM juice and squirt size wise. I just use this as a beater tool around the desk. Have not broken it yet.

LED light uses tiny button cells.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:27:52 PM by Cyclone82 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24