Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone edc a 108mm?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Anyone edc a 108mm?
on: July 31, 2012, 11:41:38 AM
There's been a lot of 108mm being discussed of late, so much so that I'm thinking of edc-ing one of mine again, but I'm sure that it won't last long in my rotation due to the big lack of utility in any environment other than the woods :(

So does anyone else edc one as there solo tool at all? :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Anyone edc a 108mm?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:59:33 AM
Had a Miltec GAK-a-like with pliers land yesterday, and hoping to get pics and thought up tonight. Also received a Safari Trooper and Pathfinder today. All these were got in for trials for "outdoors" carry.

Would I EDC one? Probably not. Nothing wrong with the tool, other than it doesn't give me what I feel I need for normal daily life. If I did carry one, I'd have to pair it up with something like my knifeless MP400/450 hybrid to supplement the tools absent on the 108mm

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:01 PM
I EDC a 108mm solo because I really like the bigger blade and because I have no real use for the other tools (since it's paired with a CyberTool).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline Vemo

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:12:47 PM
I EDC a 108mm solo because I really like the bigger blade and because I have no real use for the other tools (since it's paired with a CyberTool).

Yes I'm the same. The solo has a large blade and is light to carry. Also carry with it either the CyberTool or my ever faithful 1991 Swisschamp.
Ian

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:51 PM
I only recently got my 108mm. I have a Solo too but I was thinking to carry in the woods a Safari Pathfinder or Safari Trooper, which I both prefer to the Solo and are not that much thicker, IMO. I may be one of the rare people who like the combo tool (and I like the 108 series at whole). What I won't see myself carry is a 3 layer such as Safari Hunter. I won't have what to do with any of these as a true EDC but if I'd be looking for a larger SAK to EDC these would be a solid contender.

:cheers: to whom EDCs 108mm!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11:43 PM
I did carry my Solo at work for a while, but it got replaced by other things and I never quite got back in the habit of using it again.  It has done some work as a travel kitchen knife though. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:27 PM
Well today I tested my new Safari Trooper, in order to test my wood gasification stove. I wasn't too impressed with the saw on that combo tool. It's almost too aggressive for it's short length  :think: It did do the job, but after cutting through a 20mm (3/4") stick twice, I went inside and got my Chris Caine Survival Tool to do the rest of the work. :whistle: Of course I then got cheesed off with having to go and fetch the bits that went flying as I chopped them off 

:facepalm:

Partly the issue with the saw was the limited stroke length, which combined with the aggressive tool form kept sticking rather than cutting. Once I'd got about halfway through it seemed to bind more. Best as I can measure with my micrometer, there is only a 0.35mm taper in blade thickness from the tooth point back to the spine. That's a measly clearance of 0.007" per side in old money. In contrast a 91mm blade I measured tapered around 0.5mm over a shorter distance (narrower blade) giving a much better clearance angle. The 108mm is about 2.12mm think at the tips of the teeth, and the 91mm is around 1.3mm, so the other disadvantage is you are having to remove approximately two thirds more material. Plus it only cuts on the pull stroke whereas the 91mm cuts on the push and pull.

OK for VERY occasional usemaybe , but it's making me double think the suitability for use as a "woods" tool (which is where I thought it's strengths would lie), as a saw is liable to either not be needed at all out hiking/camping, or needed quite a lot.  It's certainly sturdier if breaking a blade is a concern, but I think a 91mm or the Pioneer Harvester may be a better woods tool. I'll have a different play with it on other materials another day, but so far I'm not convinced

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:45:33 AM
I have EDCed a 108 mm Solo some, but these days it has, ironically enough (given the previous post), been displaced by a Harvester. It's more because I really, really like the Harvester than the Solo giving me any trouble.

Anyone edc a 108mm?
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:03:42 PM
Your comments about the saw certainly bring back memories Al!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:17:37 PM
I like the blade length and the ease of carry of the Solo and don´t need more as i do carry a MT anyways.
I plan on adding one to my MP 600 or Vic spirit EDC, actually i  did make one (GAK with removed saw layer) but i gave it away to my Dad as he liked it.

Concerning making me a new one, well i ended up buying slightly more than one and you can see a few pics in the GAK GAK Galore thread. Hopefully I´ll finish mine soon.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:49:31 PM by lowtech »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:24:09 PM
Your comments about the saw certainly bring back memories Al!
Yeah, I'm personally struggling to see the benefit of the 108mm line now  :think:

Good slippy blade, so I can see someone taking a liking to the Solo, Solo Plus or Swiss Shark. I'd recommend anyone who wants a saw to consider other alternatives though  :whistle: If fact I wouldn't be surprised if you could cross-cut baton with the main blade easier than using the saw  :-\

Anyone edc a 108mm?
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 02:02:34 PM
Lol!

End of the day they were meant to be used by squadies so they had to place robustness ahead of practicality :/

It's just us lot being picky again :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:11:34 PM
Lol!

End of the day they were meant to be used by squadies so they had to place robustness ahead of practicality :/

It's just us lot being picky again :D

I thought that was the point  :D They are certainly robust, and at the price (another deciding point for military contracts) you do get a lot for your money. For everyone else though who is buying their own tackle, there are certainly better options out there  :salute:

I think Steinar made a good choice with the pioneer Harvester ;)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:50 PM
I think Steinar made a good choice with the pioneer Harvester ;)

Well, of course! :D

I seem to remember some people on the old SOSAK site being pretty happy about the 108 saw, though. Something about it being nice for green twigs, perhaps?

After digging around a little, I managed to find the article: http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=35

So it seems to be good for something, at least.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 04:07:28 PM
Ahhhh - OK!!!

So it cuts better on green wood than dry wood  :think: That partly explains it, as I was cutting dry stuff for fuel. Explains why it may work for soldiers too who may need it for light clearance work rather than what I was trying to do. So it should be OK for knocking up a tent peg or using as a ridge pole etc, but not for firewood unless you're trying to attract attention with smoke  :think:

Seems like I need to try some green wood cutting at some point, then "maybe" if it fits in a survival tin of sorts it might have a future with me. Not the tool of choice for pairing with a wood gas stove or camp fire though  :(

Thanks for the link  :tu:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:36:56 PM
Does anyone really think that the German army did not test well these saws before issuing them to their troops? :think:

One funny detail speaking about this very nice review. Quote:

"The only bad thing about the corkscrew is that the mini-screwdriver doesn’t fit."

Check this out (yes, I'm cheating but the corkscrew is unmodified, how it came from the factory, and same is the screwdriver, standard one)  :D

055_6548.JPG
* 055_6548.JPG (Filesize: 143.13 KB)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 06:00:34 PM
Does anyone really think that the German army did not test well these saws before issuing them to their troops? :think:

Well... tested as in "follows the specification", no doubt, tested as in "check if it's any good", I have no idea. Some military equipment works great, some of it requires language not suited to a family friendly forum.

Depressing example: The Norwegian army boot used to be a great hiking boot. Simple, strong, well-made and comfortable, a lot of people leaving the service "lost" their pair to use for hiking, and many civilians wanting a cheap, good pair of boots bought the model. Then, a couple of years ago some economy smurfs figured out the boots really didn't need to last for years when typical service time is shorter, so the army actually requested lower quality from the factory to get a cheaper boot. And, yes, the new boots don't last, as requested... :(

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:27 PM
I carried every day at work a 108 Solo (before my fallkniven U2 took over). I like them a lot!
Because they are so ugly, strong and cheap, you are not afraid to use them.  :tu:
Good steel, easy to sharpen, nice size, comfy in hand, great snap etc.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:34 PM
Well... tested as in "follows the specification", no doubt, tested as in "check if it's any good", I have no idea. Some military equipment works great, some of it requires language not suited to a family friendly forum.

:D

I agree that meeting order specification does not mean it is going to work. Just because somebody gets what they asked for, doesn't mean they necessarily got what they need

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:57 PM
Depressing example: The Norwegian army boot used to be a great hiking boot. Simple, strong, well-made and comfortable, a lot of people leaving the service "lost" their pair to use for hiking, and many civilians wanting a cheap, good pair of boots bought the model. Then, a couple of years ago some economy smurfs figured out the boots really didn't need to last for years when typical service time is shorter, so the army actually requested lower quality from the factory to get a cheaper boot. And, yes, the new boots don't last, as requested... :(

Ouch! So I guess the Norwegian army did not choose these boots for actual combat, real war (knock on wood) conditions. Me thinks that one may do well there without a pocket knife in the winter, not so much without good boots.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:47 PM

:D

I agree that meeting order specification does not mean it is going to work. Just because somebody gets what they asked for, doesn't mean they necessarily got what they need

I agree with this in general but in this particular case why did Victorinox not only accept (ok, this maybe was for revenue) to manufacture these GAKs, but also build their own variations and keep them for such a long time if the combo tool was a failure? Do you doubt that Vic at the time would see the difference between their own built saw variations? Could be, but I tend to not believe it.

Would be interesting to hear from folks who were actually issued these GAKs and what their thoughts were about it in general and in particular the nasty saw.

SakWiki has good words to say about it:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Saw-wood

"The 108mm Wood saw not only has the reputation as being one of the best for cutting wood, it also contain a unique Combo Tool integrated into its tip. The tool that can be used as a Bottle Opener, Can Opener or Screwdriver. A later version of the tool appeared on the knife commonly referred to as the GAK-2, which added a ))Nail-File((/))Match-Strike(( tool to the side of the blade. This easily makes the 108mm wood saw the most versatile version of the wood saw. The 108mm saw often has a removable blade-guard. This is a very good feature for this model, since the combo tool on the tip would in theory be used more frequently and the guard makes the tool much safer in this usage. In earlier Catalogs this tool is referred to as the Utility Tool."

I completely agree the wood saw on 93/91 mm and 111 mm  are more efficient and more easy to be used with good results, at least on the dry wood. But I suspect the 108 mm saw has its strong points as well, like mentioned in the review and maybe more. Certainly it appears less friendly to casual users like me, but I still like it.

What I do personally really like on the combo tool is the bottle cap opener. IMHO that is the best bottle cap opener that I tried on a SAK. And there is a screwdriver and a can opener too.

:cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:24:30 PM
Hey, I'm just giving feedback based on my (albeit limited) experience, and ability to use a measuring implement. If other people have had different experiences that's fine by me, and I'd love to hear it :salute:

As for the other variations, I'd suggest they had tooling and the opportunity to use it for revenue in market opportunity beyond the primary supply contract. Let's not go down the road of assuming a company (any company) is perfect and never puts commercial decisions first, or never gets anything wrong - ever  ::)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:42 PM
Completely agree  :salute:

This is an interesting topic for me because I personally like the 108 mm SAKs (including the GAK) but at the same time to be sincere I encountered myself frustration in using that saw. I wish it is just me not knowing yet how to use it to get the best out of it but  :D

:cheers:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:44:21 PM by Marius »

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:23 PM
These 108's are made for modding  ;)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 08:25:04 PM
These 108's are made for modding  ;)

Yes and no. There are very few parts for these series. For example, if anybody else noticed this, there are just two backspring models for the entire 108 mm line. One is used for the layers with a tool on the back (awl or corkscrew, just two) and the other is used for the layers without back tool.

The tools themselves are very few: the main blade, the combo tool (with and without that nailfile), the "gutting" blade (with or without serrations) and the clip point blade (available only on the Mauser, Walther and the +B 3 blade special that I so much like and cannot find).

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Hmm, you got a point. But there are a lot old GAK's around for donor. And perhaps 93mm tools can be used? I really don't know, not my department.  :D I do feel these 108's have potential.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:10 PM
I wonder if a file/workbench a lot of standard blades and a healthy dose of inspiration and imagination is the way to go when modding 108s? Instead of mix and match existing tools, making new ones.

Anyone edc a 108mm?
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 12:03:30 AM
This is turning into a great thread guys :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 12:23:54 AM
I think I'm gonna do a 85/91/93/108/111mm feld test myself in the next few days cause of this thread. Not that I don't trust you Al. I just got interested. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:43 AM
Go for it mate  :tu: Based on the dressing down I got earlier, you had better do dry wood and greenwood  though :P :D :D :D

Another thing that might have made a difference to my results is I was cutting small pieces off a stick, rather than a thin branch off a tree. I reckon if the tree had effectively got hold of one end of the stick, that aggressive (albeit short and fat) tooth form may have worked better. I do need to try it out at pruning tasks to see what the difference is

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD