Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

climber with plus scales

no Offline dagelias

climber with plus scales
on: August 01, 2012, 12:30:27 AM
Hi! Did the climber at some point come with plus scales originally?

no Offline dagelias

Re: climber with plus scales
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:38 PM
nobody knows?

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied

Offline richs2891

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:19 PM
Never seen one with plus scales as standard but I have plus scales on my edc one. Makes it just that bit more useful !

Richard

no Offline dagelias

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:44:02 PM
thanks for the answers! I think i found out that the plus scales is not original. the Corkscrew is 4 loops fluted corkscrew, witch they stopped using in 1991, but plus scales came first on the marked in 1993!! thanks  http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php !!

Offline marduk

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:12:40 AM
Your Climber have may not have been equipped w/original +scales, but one writer believes Victorinox did produce them. Michael M. Young's THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE, OWNER'S MANUAL(2011) p.61 states that a Climber model was fitted w/+scales. SAKWIKI omits any reference for a plus model w/the Climber. Whose right?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:58 AM
Remember there are also special version Victorinox does in small runs that are not really official catalog models.  Victorinox is also known to produce a knife with a certain tool that has been discontinued, I'm guessing when they decide their inventory levels are higher than required for the old part.  So it's possible the scales were not added, by and customer, but equally possible they were.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:18 AM
thanks for the answers! I think i found out that the plus scales is not original. the Corkscrew is 4 loops fluted corkscrew, witch they stopped using in 1991, but plus scales came first on the marked in 1993!! thanks  http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php !!

Plus scales came out in 1986 with the introduction of the SwissChamp.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:18 AM
There are plenty of them out there.  I don't know if they're factory stock, but I know that Central Valley Wholesale has some up for sale right now.

http://stores.ebay.com/Central-Valley-Wholesale-Knives/Victorinox-Climber-Knives-/_i.html?_fsub=223416013&_sid=29027443&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:37:48 AM
There are plenty of them out there.  I don't know if they're factory stock, but I know that Central Valley Wholesale has some up for sale right now.

http://stores.ebay.com/Central-Valley-Wholesale-Knives/Victorinox-Climber-Knives-/_i.html?_fsub=223416013&_sid=29027443&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
bad example; we do know if it's something different from CVW it's not factory.  His whole business is pretty much based on swapping scales.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:40:07 PM

bad example; we do know if it's something different from CVW it's not factory.  His whole business is pretty much based on swapping scales.
Well, that wasn't my point.  I was merely trying to show that it's quite easy to find Climbers with plus scales.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:10:34 AM
The Climber Plus was listed on the Victorinox .ch site, now alas no longer available to US fans.
I bought one (made for the European market) from Reinier a couple months ago, shipped from the Netherlands.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

no Offline dagelias

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:34:21 PM
thanks for all of the answers, you guys know a lot!!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:45:34 PM
The Climber Plus was listed on the Victorinox .ch site, now alas no longer available to US fans.
I bought one (made for the European market) from Reinier a couple months ago, shipped from the Netherlands.

:think: Somehow I doubt that. Wasn't that a Climber with the long nail file?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:33 AM
You are correct Reinier.  Mea culpa and thanks for the knice knife.
Now where did I see Climber Plus as a listed item a couple years ago?

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 12:42:32 AM
When I Search inputting Plus on Victorinox's online catalog only the Explorer and the Caddy (in several colors) come up.  There will of course be the models that always have pen and pin like SwissChamp, Compact, and Cyber.
How about the .Ch website?  A Climber Plus there?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 03:15:02 AM
It's not really that important, I don't think. It's not like I'm saying it's never been done, just that it's not a regular catalog item; or even a noteworthy item at this point. 

There was some European place once claiming to have the Climber Plus designed by them and Victorinox to their own specifications. I just laughed at the time, since they had simply put the plus scales on the Climber.  I'm sure Victorinox has done other special runs too. 

Let's face it; every model should be a Plus model...  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD